Eternal Lands Official Forums
alekos

Items in my quest list have disappeared? List is now empty.

Hi everyone,

So long story short, my quest list has now become empty.

I finished a number of things ans they were all listed in the quest list until yesterday. Things

like the wraith quest, parts of alchemy tutorial, parts of potion tutorial, part of armour

breaking quest etc.

Well, today I checked the list, everything has disappeared and the list is empty. This also means

I can't continue the tutorial quests and I no longer know what to do.

What's happening here?

First, the quest log is kept locally on your computer, not on the server (or at least, the list you see is local to your computer)

There are several ways that list could have disappeared, without knowing more about your situation

(operating system, did you change computers, ...?), we can't really tell you what happened

(crystal balls being notoriously unreliable).

6 minutes ago, revi said:

First, the quest log is kept locally on your computer, not on the server (or at least, the list you see is local to your computer)

There are several ways that list could have disappeared, without knowing more about your situation

(operating system, did you change computers, ...?), we can't really tell you what happened

(crystal balls being notoriously unreliable).

Okay I see. Then how can I start tracking my progress again? Nothing has changed on my computer (as I know).

Edited by alekos

Best thing is to talk again to the last NPC you talked to (Tutorial NPC for tutorial quest),

often (but not always) you'll get at least a hint of what you are supposed to do.

4 minutes ago, revi said:

Best thing is to talk again to the last NPC you talked to (Tutorial NPC for tutorial quest),

often (but not always) you'll get at least a hint of what you are supposed to do.

Thanks.

The quest log is stored in a file called "quest_<character name>.log", so for example mine is called "quest_bluap.log".  The quest list is stored in another file called "quest<character name>.list".  The EL files are stored in "My Documents/Eternal\ Lands/" on windows and $HOME/.elc/ on Linux, these paths are written to the console when you start the client.  Perhaps obviously, its always a good idea to make backup copies of your files that are important.  It could be worth checking you file system is in a good state using your OS tools.

13 hours ago, bluap said:

The quest log is stored in a file called "quest_<character name>.log", so for example mine is called "quest_bluap.log".  The quest list is stored in another file called "quest<character name>.list".  The EL files are stored in "My Documents/Eternal\ Lands/" on windows and $HOME/.elc/ on Linux, these paths are written to the console when you start the client.  Perhaps obviously, its always a good idea to make backup copies of your files that are important.  It could be worth checking you file system is in a good state using your OS tools.

Okay I'll back them up for next time. Didn't know about this. I run Linux, but that doesn't really matter. Thanks!

46 minutes ago, alekos said:

Okay I'll back them up for next time. Didn't know about this. I run Linux, but that doesn't really matter. Thanks!

Which client do you use on Linux? One of my packages snap, flatpak or deb?

20 hours ago, bluap said:

Which client do you use on Linux? One of my packages snap, flatpak or deb?

I run Debian. I don't really remember what package it was, although I got it from the "downloads" section on the games's website.

1 hour ago, alekos said:

I run Debian. I don't really remember what package it was, although I got it from the "downloads" section on the games's website.

OK, thanks.  I asked because the snap packages use a different path for local files; an unfortunate consequence of the packaging format.  If you switch to using snap without realising, you may wonder where your files have gone.