Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aislinn

Extra Small Inventory Window

There are two sizes already (option on the title bar context menu).  Do you want a smaller version that is further scaled down or one without some of the elements?

Yep there is gigantic and smallish.  I'd like one maybe the size of the square on the current smaller option.  I wouldn't really like to lose elements, but there is a lot of wasted space in it.  My first thought was that inner square would be a decent size for the whole thing just shrunk down, possibly reconfigured without the description space?.

Extra small inventory:

Same size as actual inventory in the small size now, but make equipment only show with a button and get rid of the description area and 2 of the quantity options so that it fits horizontally.

When I made the changes to allow scaling of the full UI, I did it in a way that would allow individual windows to be scaled independently.  That means that each window can have a different scale factor, I just did not make this accessible to the user.  So, one easy initial step would be to make this available to the user as an option.  A larger change, but skill not too major could be to add other window modes that change which elements are shown much like the Spells window.

Both changes sound fantastic!  I would be very happy at this time just to be able to scale the individual windows down.  Being able to change what elements are shown would also be great, but not an immediate need if we can scale the windows down.  (I don't want to keep throwing things at you to do, but this does sound great!)

Will this be available in the new client?  I just compiled version1.9.5p6 but I couldn't scale the inventory window, nor did I see any option setting for it.

... but I have now.  If you pull and build the latest git, there's an option under the "Font" tab for "Inventory window scaling factor".  This value is multiplied by the "User interface scaling factor" to set the scale for the inventory window.  The whole window is scaled including the title bar and fonts etc so it may not be too suitable.  We can always revert the change if its no good.  We can also change the range of the value, the description and location in the options window.  It would be easy to add this for other windows too, less code now I've added the general bits.

Enabling optional elements of the window will take a bit more work which I could look into later.

Edit: With this, you could use the large window (which uses the bigger grid), then scale it down.  That way, the grid occupies a bigger proportion of a smaller window.

Edited by bluap

Really neat!  I like this a lot!  The only issue I can really see is the equipped gear boxes are smaller and that might be a bit of an issue when in combat.  That may not be "fixable" but even still with that problem I really like having this option.  Any chance it can get put into your new clients so others can play with it?  I do see the difference between scaling down the small window and scaling down the larger window.  I think this would be nice for the other windows too, such as storage, mixing, magic, etc.

Thank you so much!  :)

https://imgur.com/a/dphSZyu

OK, I'll add some more windows in the same way.  I'll also do some test builds so people don't need to build their own.

Super!  There will be a lot of happy people! :)

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to make these windows scaleable on the fly by dragging like the main client is now?

1 hour ago, Aislinn said:

Super!  There will be a lot of happy people! :)

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to make these windows scaleable on the fly by dragging like the main client is now?

Yes, I've been thinking about how that might work. But it would take longer to implement so perhaps a second phase.

51 minutes ago, bluap said:

Yes, I've been thinking about how that might work. But it would take longer to implement so perhaps a second phase.

Oh wonderful. :) We'll take whatever you can give us.  Second phase is more than fine, at your convenience!  Thank you so much, it's very much appreciated.

Copy of post to 1.9.5.p6 thread:

There are new dev builds available changes include:

• Custom scaling for most windows (on the FONT tab).
  • The options window is now rescaled after closing/opening rather than a restart
  • Fix to properly scale option window spin widgets (the up/down arrows).
  • Fix for alt-TAB during system widow switching actioning map window toggle.

Builds

Edited by bluap

I do have a question.  When I right-click on the inventory window, one of the options is "Manual Window Size".  I have checked and unchecked that box and I don't see a difference.  I don't understand what it does or how it's supposed to work.

6 hours ago, Aislinn said:

I do have a question.  When I right-click on the inventory window, one of the options is "Manual Window Size".  I have checked and unchecked that box and I don't see a difference.  I don't understand what it does or how it's supposed to work.

If unchecked, the size is automatically selected depending on main window size.

Edited by bluap

Another question for you.  We had discussed the possibility of equipped gear going back to the slot the replacement gear came from when it is replaced by the drag/replacement feature.  Is it possible to include with this the ability to double click on the item in the inventory window to make it replace a like item instead of having to drag it?  (Or be given the option of either.)  Example: double click on a sword in your inventory and it automatically replaces the sword that's equipped and the original equipped sword goes back into the slot the new sword came from.

I'm nearly ready to commit the change to swap back to the freed slot. As for the other request, I'm not sure it can be done currently. The client does not really know the difference between different equippable items so could not automatically swap one sword for another.

3 hours ago, bluap said:

I'm nearly ready to commit the change to swap back to the freed slot. As for the other request, I'm not sure it can be done currently. The client does not really know the difference between different equippable items so could not automatically swap one sword for another.

In other life (OL), if you have any empty slots in your equipment section and you double-click something wearable, it replaces the equipped item. 

4 hours ago, Kaddy said:

In other life (OL), if you have any empty slots in your equipment section and you double-click something wearable, it replaces the equipped item. 

The code is the same so I guess that's done by the server, which obviously knows the difference.  My character on OL does not have enough stuff to try it. :)