Eternal Lands Official Forums
spirited

A rather strange ip ban

Hi.  my game name at the moment is ellia and when I went to try login this morning I was told by the server that I had been banned.  I have returned to the game after 7 years (having played it under other names for about 7 years previously with no problems at all.) I returned as ellia as I didn't remember my old passwords so started a new character and was having great fun back in the game until now.  I am a very old person, who even if I knew what to do 'bad' in games to break rules I wouldn't!  And now I am sitting here rather frustrated that I can't return to the game.  I have no idea what ip address I even have, as I now live in France and it's rather a strange system over here.  I look forward to hearing from someone, hopefully soon.  Thank you.  Marie

You probably ran into an IP ban put in place against someone else. You  have a dynamic IP (one that changes regularly,

e.g. when you restart your router), which is why you could make a new char and play on it for a while.

Only Aislinn and radu can do anything about such IP bans, so unfortunately you'll have to wait until one of them comes online.

Thanks for your response Revi.  i only ever had two characters and i am happy to either get them back or continue playing on ellia.  When i hear from Aislinn or Radu i will let them know the names of my previous characters.  Though i'm not looking forward to that as Aislinn told me off longggggg ago for forgetting my passwords then.  Thanks again.  Marie 

Hello! I often forget things and not been told off yet, but have started writing passes down in a secret place.... Now the only problem will be if I forget where I put it.

Radu has even forgiven me for forgetting to say my name when buying stuff from him lol

Here's what is happening.

I see you on ellia logging in on different IP's.  Do you play from two different locations, or possibly android and a computer?

One of the IP ranges was autobanned because of too many password failures (a new thing put in since you had stopped playing last time) and one it looks like you are caught in an IP range ban due to somebody else. 

I need you to forum pm me with all your characters and situation so we can sort this out.  Also there is a way to save your password in your el.ini so that you can automatically log in and won't have to worry about remembering your password.

On 11.11.2018 at 8:09 PM, Acelon said:

5 hours ago, Aislinn said:

Also there is a way to save your password in your el.ini so that you can automatically log in and won't have to worry about remembering your password.

Umm... didn't someone finally shot the programmer who implemented that?

Never, NEVER, ever, never, never do that and write passwords in any *.ini files!

That is the easiest way someone can steal your character when s/he gets access to your PC! (and that might happen more often than you might expect.)

Besides that, Aislinn is right, as usual :P

Piper

While Piper is right in general, I *think* for her situation it's a better option than continually triggering an autoban for too many failed passwords.  Once that threshold is reached, even if I unban the IP, the next missed password attempt will trigger it again.  So one has to weigh the pros and cons of each.  Definitely consider your computer situation and who has access to it before using it. 

In that case the autoban system should be changed and have a timeout after which the ip is no longer considered dangerous, especially considering that most ip's worldwide are dynamic, or these days even send through NAT.

On this note it would be nice if el would be ready for ipv6 as for examply my ip service provider gives me an own ipv6 range, and the ipv4 i have is one that i share with 15k other people at the same time.

Edited by vinoveritas

Thank you Aslinn for your help, thank you Lyndy for your kind advice (I must try and remember it) and thanks all others.  Happily back in game now :)

I guess from the sounds of it I might have been banned for trying to sign my alts Charactor Danmleczu on the pk server.I forgot his pass.when we moved I had changed all my char actors passes and had them wrote on note cards in my file box.Was flooded out two years ago was staying at my uncles house with 8 of us trying to use At and t internet so was able to change some of my charactors back to a password I could remember.Then because of internet usage internet speed was slowed way down so I could not access stay connected.So I did not get Danmleczu done or my Original Charactor Calla on main. Durring one of our moves my son had cleaned out my file bin and my note cards are not there.I would like to still play with my Charactors Nickolah and Nomercy on Pk.Im unable to log them in.If it happens to be im banned I will not try and log Danmleczu on pk and Calla on main Till after I get paid next month.Then I ll pay for password change on them..Lexi told me to post.She also left me instruction on how to save all my passwords to a cloud server. 

Thank you Sincerely                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Calla/Aka Nickolah

Let's try and see if I understood all that (try using spaces and linebreaks next time, please):

You have several characters:  Calla on main & Danmleczu, Nomercy and Nickolah on PK.

You lost passwords to all of them.

From what I can see, at least Calla is not locked, I can't check IP bans or anything on PK server.

If that's what has happened, you will indeed have to contact radu with 5$ per pass

and enough private information to convince him that those are your characters.

If you have managed to get an autoban on one of the servers, you can discuss that at the same time. But you

should be able to notice for yourself if you hit an IP ban, as that shows a red message before you get to the

login screen.

Edited by revi

After the pay to play on pk server I get <0:00> Disconnected from server! [Grue]

Press Alt x to disconnect.

I know Nickolah and Nomercy Santa and Dodgey pass.

After several attempts to remember Danmleczu pass.I got that reading. 

Now I can not sign in on pk period with any of my Chars that I do know the pass too.

I just cannot remember Calla s pass on main.I just have not played on main much since pk server started. 

I can take care of Calla on main on the 3 of Aug.

I can Take care and pay for Danmleczu on pk server also that day.

I was just seeing if I was ip Banned or had something blocking connection.Or had to delete game and reload.

Thank you Revi. For responding.

Edited by calla

Anything to do with problems on PK server must go through radu. You can contact him in-game on main server on his radu character, or through forums - he uses the name Entropy here.  I recommend via forums pm because he usually comes on in-game late in the day and doesn't stay online much. 

All password retrievals for both servers must go through radu as well.  There is a $5 retrieval charge and you must provide proof of ownership, as revi explained.

I do highly suggest that you do not keep trying over and over again just guessing at passwords because that will trigger an auto-ban if you have too many password failures.  And I do see a lot of attempts from a couple of weeks ago.