Eternal Lands Official Forums
Affliction

New Login Screen for Multiple Characters

44 minutes ago, RipTide said:

I dl from this " Windows: https://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/el.exe "  Then in my dl file, I double clicked to install.

I was thinking I might have to uninstall, then reinstall with that, but I don't know for sure.

The el.exe download is just the executable, not the installer.  You need to put the el.exe file in the directory where you installed the full EL package.

Hi,

If I use this build, and start EL on a different server (i.e. Test), will it use the Test subdirectory, rather than Main for that client instance?

This build/feature has not changed the way the configuration directories works. If you have test server setup using a test config directory rather than main, it will maintain a separate username/password file and password key to main.

So, as I use different server setups for my different characters, this new client wouldn't be very useful for me?

23 minutes ago, revi said:

So, as I use different server setups for my different characters, this new client wouldn't be very useful for me?

In the past, I've done the same. But I've done that largly to keep separate logins stored and the only way to do that was using separate el.ini files. Now, I'm going to simplify my use of configuration directories and have one for main and one for test only.

Well, I'd rather keep the different server setups, if only to keep chat logs separate. Also, I want different screen sizes for for some characters, which implies separate el.ini files.

So, my original question still stands unanswered :P

30 minutes ago, revi said:

I was thinking that the next progression would be separate settings, item lists, recipes in mix menu, etc per character. One step at a time. I am thrilled with having this much.

36 minutes ago, RipTide said:

I was thinking that the next progression would be separate settings, item lists, recipes in mix menu, etc per character. One step at a time. I am thrilled with having this much.

Sadly, when client opens it uses el.ini to build client resolution etc so when you pick a char that uses another settings, it has to restart client. I believe it could be coded tho at least some settings that directly needs client restart (which is already embedded since you get “it will get effect next restart”) but fps etc does not require restart. 

I use different servers for different chars aswell right now, with different recipes, itemlists etc but thing with server is that you are limited to max 8 or 9. With this option it goes unlimited as long as you are okay to use same el.ini settings I guess. 

Recipes, quest logs and some others (but not item lists) are already stored on a per-character basis, so that's fine.

So you'd have to group your characters to share item lists and ini settings for now. In which case you are getting

the unlimited chars in practice. (unless you really need more than 8 or so set-ups...), as the two approaches  can

be combined (server setups with char list per setup). Just make sure you don't get lost ;)

My question was mainly for players like me that have a server-setup based installation with only a few characters.

I don't think the current change helps those players very much, if at all (as they already can have set up shortcuts

to start the different characters). So for them no need to hurry getting the latest client installed/compiled.

1 hour ago, Affliction said:

LOVE IT! Works Great! Logged into all my chars and logged in and out a few times to make sure it worked. Love it!

Glad you like it. :D

Riptide

Copy the file in c:\Program Files(x86)\Eternal Lands\

But maybe rename the file el.exe that is in that folder first to elold.exe that way no reinstallation is needed if something goes wrong

Otherwise great feature

Edited by vinoveritas

Using this feature, I've now got an issue with some details not being stored per character, for example the notebook.  I would guess some players like it that way, others might like separate versions.  I propose to make a change that if a character tagged notebook exists, then that will be loaded, otherwise the default notebook will be used.  I'll add a way to start a character specific notebook somewhere in the UI.  Does that sound OK?  We could do the same for other files too.

Sounds great! The biggest issue that still causes me to use separate "servers" for characters is item lists. Since different characters have different emu, it doesn't work to have the same item list for everyone.  I think I could eliminate the need to use the "servers" workaround, if that one was resolved. Difficult?

I've made the code changes to allow a character specific file for the notepad (right-click the save button), and item lists (an additional item on the content menu for the list).  In both cases, the new file will be created next time you save so will be based on the current content.

Updated build from latest git can be found here:

Windows: https://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/el.exe

I'd recommend my Flatpak build for Linux users, you will need the dev version, or the Snap (Edge version) from the Snap Store.

Otherwise.....

Linux 32 bit static: https://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/el.i686.linux.bin.static

Linux 64 bit static: https://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/el.x86_64.linux.bin.static

Is there a way to delete unused chars in the log in list?  If not, maybe a delete char box could be added.

The logins are saved in a text file containing a line per character in the form "character-name encoded-password".  You can just delete the lines you no longer want.  The file is located in your personal settings folder and is called "passmngr_logins". Of course, be sure to make a back-up before editing the file, just in case!  Being able to delete and/or hide logins from the UI was on the original feature list and could be added if people want it.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, bluap said:

I quite like that, perhaps it could be made an option.

Are you copying the new el.exe file into the same directory as your existing install (you can rename the old or the new file to keep the old)?  Did you install the game from the standard download or are you using one from somewhere else? Perhaps one of Sir_Odie's builds?

Thanks for trying it both!

Hey it worked! I didn't need the contest char log ins anymore.

Thanks much!

RT