Eternal Lands Official Forums
Affliction

Unable to Harvest occasionally

I don't know why, but occasionally I will stop harvesting, and no matter what I do I cannot click to harvest anything. I can do everything else. I can "see" objects. I can exit maps and come back. I can still fight and interact and chat. I just can't harvest. If I close the game and restart everything goes back to normal. 

Don't really know what causes it. I guess I haven't payed too much attention to if its a specific event or anything. Sometimes I have two clients running at the same time, and it will happen on one but not the other. And sometimes it happens on both clients within just a minute or two of each other. It appears to be random. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem?

Are you sure you are not just on the 'cooldown' associated with harvesting some of the higher level items at levels much lower than the recommended? (amber, dung, yew, cinnabar, to name a few).

On 2/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, Affliction said:

Don't really know what causes it.

That sounds like the counter overflow bug we've seen for years on the PK server and has started hitting main due to a lower rate of server re-starts.  It can cause one not to be able to harvests (as you described) or not be able to move (which is why sometimes critters are pinned and won't move).  You can fix yourself by logging out/in.

Lacking a server reboot, it happens about once every 49 days.  It's apparently not worth fixing (I reported it to Radu 6 years ago).

It would help if OP said what he was trying to harvest. Iirc, dung has at least a 12s delay before you can restart harvesting after an event (or mini event).

Or use #stats when it happens next time (right now, server uptime is 21 days, so that counter overflow shouldn't happen yet).

As for fixing that bug: changing the type of a variable can force a lot of other changes to get the code to compile again, let alone run correctly. And those changes are not always easy to find in one pass. So yes, living with the need to restart the server every 45 days might be the better choice (if the server gets restarted every 45 days...)

Edited by revi

It happened last on Amber, and I am under lvled for that, but the inability to harvest lasted for over a minute before I restarted. 

Yes, I'm able to see things and get the details about them and yes I can get the harvest icon to show up. 

Things it has happened to me on: Diamonds, rose quartz, coal, amber, iron, roses. 

At least that's all I can remember off the top of my head. The only thing I'm under lvled on is the Amber. 

For amber/dung/other high level slow things harvesting at levels much under recommended it's easier to notice...

Whether it's correct or not, but typical harvesting behavior appears to be that after an event (or more generically any sort of stop [even player produced like eating a food while harving]), you are forced to wait until you would have successfully harvested the item in order to be able to harvest again.

For low level stuff *shrug* is spooky.

Edited by Diealot