Eternal Lands Official Forums
Wizzy

Wizards Guide to invasion fighting

Here is a brief Wizards guide to invasion fighting (the basics) for new invasion fighters.

1) Decent Armor. It does not have to be the best armor in game, but it should be decent enough to absorb some damage.

Suggest Bronze set, or Titanium Set are both good options, depending on your emu. If you would like to use better amour, then that is an option, just be aware, breaks will occur, and they can be expensive to replace Gear.

2) Always carry 2 rostogol stones at least. 

In case you die and lose one, you are still protected. You may die at a time that you want to return to the invasion very quickly, this will enusre you dont always need a trip to storage before returning

3) Suggest the minimum of two weapons

You will want a hard hitting damage weapon, such as a halberd for mobs that are easy to hit, and don't damage you much, also a weapon that can hit mobs harder then your level, such as a radioactive sword. If you want to spend the money of thermal/fire/magic serp, these are also very nice. But at bare minimum suggest a halberd (or scythe) and a radio tit long or rapier. Work within your budget

4) Potions are your friends

Always use potions, A/D/P/C pots at the bare minimum. I suggest 5-10 of each per storage run.  Potionts give you a boost when you need one and are invaluable tools, use them always. I also suggest putting 2-3 eve/accuracy pots in your inventory for when you get yourself in a tight spot (and you will). These can give you the boost you need when you need it.

5) Beaver token

Always carry 1 or 2 beaver tokens, emergency mana reload.  These will save your life.  Yes, they are expensive to use, but if they save you from dieing, it is worth the cost

6) Build

There is no perfect build (except for perfect maxed out characters) All attributes are important, so what ever your build is, be sure you practice fighting with it so you know what do expect and act accordingly.

7) Perks

While all the fighting perks are great, There is no fork is the best perk for invasion fighting. Almost all invasions occur on multi combat maps, and this perk I consider not an option, it is a requirement.  If you can only afford the pick points for 1 fighting perk,  There is no fork (or what I like to call, there is no choice)

8) Dis/tele

Always carry dis/tele rings, and keep them in your quick slots and practice using them so you can use #1 #2 very quickly to escape a bad situation. If you have a high magic level, you may want to use tele room ( but still carry a tele ring in case you run short of tele essences for some reason and didnt notice)

9) Magic Protection.

This under used spell, costs 10 mana and lasts for 3 minutes. If there are bears and white tigers around, it will help greatly from being hit with the magical effects, such as cooldown and mana burn. It is worth your time to use it, and it may save your life.

10) Mana drain,

If your magic level is high enough, always mana drain the monsters (even if you only drain a little bit of mana) 1 srs gives 20mana and a restore costs 25. So Mana drain will help make up that difference to help ensure your mana bar is always full. Plus, it is great magic xp, and that will build levels.

11) Rdholm

Yes, they give you a little armor boost, and are a nice item, be aware they break easy. Crown of life is a much more durable peice of equipment, Suggest you carry a col or a spare rdholm, they will always break at a bad time (or at least they seem to) good to always have a spare.

12) You are not superman or Cherut

Know your limitations, walk slowly and try not to run too deep into a mass of monsters.  Be sure to explore the maps, and devise a strategy of the best way to fight in that map. Is there a bridge, or another choke point on the map to work from? Is there a pathway, or a spot that is only 1 or 2 tiles wide?  Is teleport into a mass of monsters the safest strategy?   You need to use your head, and choose your path carefully.

13) Work in a team. Even the toughest monsters are easy when you work together. So be friendly to others, share the risk, share the loot. For new invasioners, ask questions, for experienced ones, slow down a bit, and help the newbies. Stats are not as meaningful as hands on experience and practice. Build confidence.

I hope this helps people new to invasioning. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me in game or post below.

Wiz

As an invasion newbie myself, I have a few comments.

1. Devote an hour or so to whacking at beavers.  You can get one or two tokens this way and believe me, beaver tokens are invaluable.  I won't leave home without at least one.  I usually bring 3 'just in case" with me to invasions.  Can't emphasize enough how wonderful and life-saving they are (not to mention reassuring even if you don't use it).  Worth the time to kill some beavers if you are short of funds.

2. Don't be afraid to inch in and stay by a quick exit (a door to insides or map change).  Get some practice and gradually ease in as your comfort level allows.  Don't let people talk you into venturing further in than you are comfortable with because almost always you will find yourself suddenly surrounded or a new wave shows up.  Take your time.

3. While Wizzy's advice is sound, it can be overwhelming to have a bunch of spells and potions you are expected to use that you aren't used to casting.  What I do is pick one new thing and use that in an invasion.  My usual fighting method (such as for dailies) is to cast restore, drink a SR.  That's it.  So I currently cast shield as my new thing to add.  I'm strongly advised to move up to adding mana drain, too.

Other than those few things, listen to Wizzy. I do everything he says here with these adjustments.  He and Cher have taught me how to get to the point I'm at, and I never ever thought I'd come this far.

3 hours ago, Aislinn said:

3. While Wizzy's advice is sound, it can be overwhelming to have a bunch of spells and potions you are expected to use that you aren't used to casting.  What I do is pick one new thing and use that in an invasion.  My usual fighting method (such as for dailies) is to cast restore, drink a SR.  That's it.  So I currently cast shield as my new thing to add.  I'm strongly advised to move up to adding mana drain, too.

If you have waited for an invasion to have confidence in mana draining mobs, and using potions, you have waited too long.

These things are best practiced on easier monsters, until they become second nature.

On top of those I'd also add few points:

1. Maybe if you're too scared to loose rosto, either don't go, ofc watch out, or have an alt with invis pots nearby to retrieve your DB. Well, very risk and stupid idea, but I've come across few people who do/used to do it. But this is very helpful while fighting in TD, if both of you die due to bombs for example.

2. Don't get yourself distracted. Really only focus on playing and fighting. Don't reply on whatsapp or Skype etc. Don't watch anything. As I die 90% of the time due to not paying attention to the game. STating the obvious but worth mentioning. 

3. SoP could work fine to heal you up. Possibly.

4. Seems like Brownie tokens are a thing nowadays. Farm those and kill bosses with them.

5. Hug the wall in multi invasions if you need to. This could be helpful as fewer mobs will attack you. Or find a place where less than 8 mobs can attack you. Go invis and find a place that suits you. But watch out, arctic chims can see ya :P And so does falcons I believe?

6. Don't forget GHP's and EMP's if you need to. Besides all other pots and beaver token's like WIzzy and Aislinn said.

And that should be all I remembered. Some stuff might not be as usefull as the posts above, but could help.

1 hour ago, StouXy said:

2. Don't get yourself distracted. Really only focus on playing and fighting. Don't reply on whatsapp or Skype etc. Don't watch anything. As I die 90% of the time due to not paying attention to the game. STating the obvious but worth mentioning.

Yes!  Watching scrolling chat or trying to type is a sure way to die. 

A corollary of this would be to learn to watch your blue mana and red health bars below in the HUD.  Far too many times it's either too distracting on the screen, or there are so many critters and people surrounding you that you can't even see yourself.  Train yourself to focus on the bars in the HUD and ignore the screen when in crowded situations or any time you can't see your bars/numbers on the screen.

Some other things to add from an invasion newbie's perspective:

1. Practice going around doing everything with your inventory window open.  I never had mine open before I started seriously doing invasions, and I really hate it.  It gets in the way of chat, it gets in the way of where I want to click on the map, it blocks things I want to see, and it is distracting in general.  But it is a necessary evil because you really do need to keep an eye on your quantities of things you ran out of quick bar slots for, and for easy and fast access to gear or potions.

2. Another of the "obvious but it needs to be stated" things: Make your EL window as big as your monitor will allow.  It helps immensely to see what's happening better when everything is bigger and wider.  It also gives you more room to see around your inventory window and the scrolling chat.  Close all your browsers and other activities to reduce lag.

3. During night invasions, I up the Gamma on the Video tab to lighten up the lay of the land.  This won't help your perception any, but it is useful to see where you are at and what is around you.

4. Make an Invasion Item List.  Sometime when there is no invasion going on, have a seat at storage and pull things out you would bring.  Don't equip anything because the item list ignores that when you create it.  Get some advice from experienced invasioners about what to bring and play with quantities and your emu to get a good balance.  Use this HE to SR ratio calculator so you don't waste emu: http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/el/hesrtake.php?mymana=136&emu=0&mysr=90&calc=Calculate&myhe=0

This will not only save you time when an invasion is called, but relieve the worry of whether or not you forgot anything important (we all have done that).

2 hours ago, StouXy said:

3. SoP could work fine to heal you up. Possibly.

The last Ida mines invasion what I found was this. When I had 8 yeti/ft on me, I would switch to the SoP to help slow down the damage so I could regain mana. I am drinking sr's like water and restoring nearly as often. The longest time in the game is the 17 sec cool down on SR's. With SoP and MoL, never ever count on them to heal you when you need it most. That said, it is a great tool to keep you alive. I will continue to use one even after I break it for the quest.

Few more things worth mentioning.

1. Most important for me= using hotkeys. I have changed my "key" ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Eternal Lands -> Key )  bindings to following for spells: 
#K_SPELL1 = 1
#K_SPELL2 = 2
#K_SPELL3 = 3
#K_SPELL4 = 4

What basically means, now for a first spell in the spell bar on the top right hand side, I only need to press " 1 ". For second spell, " 2 " etc. 
This saves loads of time + you don't need to press two keys to cast a spell or to manually click the spell.

Same with using items. Changed those to press alt+1 , alt+2 etc. Definitely took some time to get used to it, but 100% worth it. Also very very useful in PK. 
As I am using laptop to play EL, I just press 1 to spell and if I want to type number 1, I use side number pad.

For me personally this is a must and one of the most important things for staying alive in PK and invasions. Because remember, if you can multitask, you still have your mouse to do other stuff ;) ( But of course, this is my own preference, you can customise the keys to whatever fits you the best. Or not change them at all )

2. Weird thing to say, but...you'll see. 
Did you die 2 times in a row and want to go quickly back with loads of adrenaline? Don't. Take a moment, take a break for like 15 mins, calm down and then go back. Because when you;re too emotional, you'll screw things up again most likely. 
And worst case scenario, you'll go in without rosto cos you'll be like " I won't die again and don't need rosto ", well, you will and someone will bj you most likely.

3. Don't show off. Better diss/tp and save rosto, rather than trying to impress people around you acting tough ( I'm the best I can survive type of thing ).

4. Don't do invasions if you are lagging- obviously.

Edited by StouXy

Just be aware that not all keyboards have the "1" character directly available (e.g. AZERTY layouts)

and keyped "1" might not have the same effect as main keyboard "1". So test instead of just copying

and realising your system doesn't work quite that way in an invasion... (tends to hurt :P )

59 minutes ago, revi said:

Just be aware that not all keyboards have the "1" character directly available (e.g. AZERTY layouts)

and keyped "1" might not have the same effect as main keyboard "1". So test instead of just copying

and realising your system doesn't work quite that way in an invasion... (tends to hurt :P )

or you can get a logitech gaming keyboard with programable hotkeys

i use the logitech 910 orion spark

23 hours ago, RipTide said:

The last Ida mines invasion what I found was this. When I had 8 yeti/ft on me, I would switch to the SoP to help slow down the damage so I could regain mana. I am drinking sr's like water and restoring nearly as often. The longest time in the game is the 17 sec cool down on SR's. With SoP and MoL, never ever count on them to heal you when you need it most. That said, it is a great tool to keep you alive. I will continue to use one even after I break it for the quest.

Good motivation to level magic and raise rationality

With 8 yetis around you, you are surrounded  by 400 mana ready for the taking. (Mana Drain)

3 hours ago, Wizzy said:

With 8 yetis around you, you are surrounded  by 400 mana ready for the taking. (Mana Drain)

Also make sure that you have enough hp when mana draining, or 2 sec rule gonna poof your rosto.

6 hours ago, Wizzy said:

That's a very good point. Usually my MD on a yeti is <20 mana, after looking at wiki, I see they have 50 mana points. I should be draining them at least twice and sometimes 3 times.

3 hours ago, Kaddy said:

Also make sure that you have enough hp when mana draining, or 2 sec rule gonna poof your rosto.

Yes, heal first then MD. There is a science to invasioning.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:28 AM, tsc said:

or you can get a logitech gaming keyboard with programable hotkeys

i use the logitech 910 orion spark

On that tangent, if one happens to already love the keyboard they have with different special features, one could try something like this gaming mouse:

https://venturebeat.com/2019/02/19/logitech-mx518-reborn/

But really, this guide is more about the basics of in-game tips.  All the specialty hardware in the world won't help you without some basic invasion experience (that takes practice) and skills.

5 hours ago, Aislinn said:

On that tangent, if one happens to already love the keyboard they have with different special features, one could try something like this gaming mouse:

https://venturebeat.com/2019/02/19/logitech-mx518-reborn/

But really, this guide is more about the basics of in-game tips.  All the specialty hardware in the world won't help you without some basic invasion experience (that takes practice) and skills.

i will get the skills with time, but having the right hardware helps also allot    im even using the hotkeys while mixing stuff .
That mouse looks great but i think for me personaly its to litle and getting cramped hand, my preference would be the G502 wich i now have or the G903

8 hours ago, the_grud said:

Anyone mentioned.....Instance mode is your friend

The only caveat I'd have to that is when a poly or a coca shows up. ;)

20 hours ago, the_grud said:

Anyone mentioned.....Instance mode is your friend

Instance mode can be bad for some people. 

For example, I am really used to see the damage on me while fighting stuff. Increasing the height of my hp bar directly killed me in the first invasion I entered lol. 

So it really depends and it takes time to get used to. I know people like Cher and Wakko plays at max height but I really could not. 

On 3/3/2019 at 9:08 AM, Kaddy said:

Instance mode can be bad for some people. 

For example, I am really used to see the damage on me while fighting stuff. Increasing the height of my hp bar directly killed me in the first invasion I entered lol. 

So it really depends and it takes time to get used to. I know people like Cher and Wakko plays at max height but I really could not. 

You can still see hp and mana in instance mode

14 minutes ago, the_grud said:

You can still see hp and mana in instance mode

Yes, and Kaddy never denied that...

What Kaddy was referring to was the height above the character of the health/mana bar and points.

Changing that height means the values aren't displayed where you expect them, so you can react too late

And that means "-1 rosto" (reading what's written helps, sometimes)