Eternal Lands Official Forums
Farfadet

License

Well if I read the license correctly when I modify the code to my game I must release my modification code to the public.

So we cannot sell games this way, it’s not a very good way to make token to run my game I presume I cannot be free.

The License change from time to time it’s was not like this a 10 year ago, I must ask

How much do you sell the base code to remove this:

b. You must ensure that all recipients of the machine-executable forms are also able to receive the complete machine-readable source code to the distributed Software, including all modifications, without any charge beyond the costs of data transfer, and place prominent notices in the distribution explaining this

This sounds like a bit of a troll so I am not biting as hard as I feel I should to put down such nonsense.  However, its an open source licence so deal with it.  If you change the code you have to release your changes before distributing your version.  This kind of licence is the only reason I have contributed to the game development and I have done a lot code contributions to this game.  If the code licence was changed in the way you suggest I would not be happy and would certainly no longer contribute.  What's more, you are not permitted to use a modified client on the main server without the express permission of the game owner; Radu / Entropy.  Also, you are not permitted to redistribute the game graphics without express permission of the game owner; Radu / Entropy.

Edited by bluap

Ouch you’re fast to bite me, that why I write here to ask a permission to buy a license and put some money in yours games!

I don’t know every company do that, put some life in the recipient, new graphic, new everything like help.

When I talk make a game I talk a new game not a copy game, new icon, new graphic, new 3d, new sprite…

The MAIL for the owner or Radu is not anywhere!

I stated my opinion as a long time contributor to the the game client and someone who strongly believes in open source licensing.  The game is made better for all users with open contributions.  The licence does not prevent making money.  There are already others who use the client on their own servers without needing to switch to a closed source licence.  Radu reads these forums and is the person you would need to talk to.  His contact details are on the contact page.