Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RipTide

New daily fight quest

NPC Heimdall wants to find the strongest, smartest fighters. He'll ask you to go kill a monster, fluffy up to blue dragon. He will tell you what monster, but not what map. It can be on any map they naturally spawn, i.e. fluffy rabbits spawn in c1 on GP, SKF, KF and TD, c2 II, Kus, Mel and SRM. The server will randomly pick 1 fluff on one of those maps. You have to find the monster and kill it, "Congratulations, you killed the fluffy." Return to Heimdall and get your reward, exp and gold coins, payout would be equal to the challenge. This isn't a go find a spawn and kill 30 of something. It's a hunting mission. Of course getting the red dragon would mean 1 of 2 places. Black, ice and blue would only have 1 location.

It would be broken into 3 skill levels. 100-125, 125-155, 155+.  Limited to higher level monsters simply because there are just too many low level monsters. Imagine trying to find 1 brown rabbit in all of EL. I'd give up.

If you get something you can't kill, use a pass or get help.

Pro's:

NEW daily. Something for high level fighters to do.

Cons: Nothing for lower level fighters. You have to hunt it down, not easy.

Side note, could add a new Eng item, monster finder. Heimdall's monster would show on it. Save you from having to kill every monster on the map.

If you don't like the idea, fine. Be nice and constructive. If implemented, you are not required to do it.

Edited by RipTide

I think this would be a great idea. I see that you would like this to be a daily quest, which I think is especially good. So, this would mean we could do Heimdall & Haidir's daily on the same day. Yeah, count me in. +1 Rip :P

I like the concept, it would be much more fun tbh. 

Esp after some point, exp gained by dailies / exp required for new level ratio goes so low that doing or bothering for daily becomes useless. This would at least help a little. 

I don’t know it is possible server-wise, but if it is I am +1 for the idea. 

I have some mixed feelings about this idea.
First of all, I like the idea of having a new A/D daily quest, something harder to do, that require some exploration and I also welcome all the extra Exp I can get, I have +8 years of 0 exp to recover :).
The way this was presented, a low level 100-125 (like me) would get fluffies many times and would have to explore 12 different places and spend hours in this process, even chims can be found in ~4 different places each, but a +155 level would get mostly high level monsters, Dragons, Breakers, Giants, all those with just a few spawns and in just 1 or 2 maps but still would get way more exp or it would not be worth to do.
The other thing I don't like/understand is "If you get something you can't kill, use a pass or get help." I believe dailies should evolve with player skills, like the ones we have now do, Haidir don't send me to Yetis at low 110s, the max I get is Mountain Chims and those only recently, not forcing me to spend a expensive pass or beg for help. Imagine doing your daily and after that go help 3 or 4 guildies/friends in this daily, every day. No. If this is to promote shop sales I'm sure there are other things much more effective. Haidir pass is already the best $ for gc item, and increasing the demand will increase even more the price of the other items like Rostos, who would buy them from shop if you get much more gold from the passes?
This is just my opinion but I was away for several years and these days I see things in-game that I never imagined to be possible, so I may be wrong about this too. :D

I agree a lot with Zarukuu, and have some other comments and concerns as well.

Not having anything for the lower level fighters is something I think you should be more concerned about. I realize that logistically it may be difficult to incorporate lower level mobs into a scheme like this, but excluding lower players will just give even less incentive for new players to keep playing. Already some of the worst dailies are low level ones, not to mention that you get the least exp, least gc reward, and worst drops. Perhaps you could add another level range below 100, say 70-100, where Heimdall gives you both a monster to kill and a few possible locations. For example; a PW on c1, or an Armed Male Orc on an inside map. Putting the cut at 70 instead of 100 would let more people do it, and would still let you cut out most the handful of monsters with large numbers of spawns (everything [and possibly including] troll and below).

The above change would put this daily sort of in line with how Novac's quest progression works: Mobs on a particular map first, then mobs somwhere.

Adding on to Zarkuu's concerns about the given example with spawn # differences. Giving the dailies an equal sense of 'adventure' across the board would make it much more appealing to me... Like Zarkuu, if you get fluffys as your target, you might need to visit all those different maps to track down the proper one. Sure that makes it more difficult, but that should be the point of this daily. To add the same amount of 'adventure' to the higher level quests, where there are fewer spawns, would be relatively easy: just add extra steps. For the top levels, maybe they need to kill an ACW then a Leg-troll, then Mr. Icey Dragon. Sure, it'd be more involved, but remember that you're getting a better reward.

Can we stick the NPC on C2? The Irsis lighthouse would make a good spot, or the AA lighthouse or castle would also make nice locations.

7 hours ago, Zarkuu said:

I have some mixed feelings about this idea.
First of all, I like the idea of having a new A/D daily quest, something harder to do, that require some exploration and I also welcome all the extra Exp I can get, I have +8 years of 0 exp to recover :).
The way this was presented, a low level 100-125 (like me) would get fluffies many times and would have to explore 12 different places and spend hours in this process, even chims can be found in ~4 different places each, but a +155 level would get mostly high level monsters, Dragons, Breakers, Giants, all those with just a few spawns and in just 1 or 2 maps but still would get way more exp or it would not be worth to do.
The other thing I don't like/understand is "If you get something you can't kill, use a pass or get help." I believe dailies should evolve with player skills, like the ones we have now do, Haidir don't send me to Yetis at low 110s, the max I get is Mountain Chims and those only recently, not forcing me to spend a expensive pass or beg for help. Imagine doing your daily and after that go help 3 or 4 guildies/friends in this daily, every day. No. If this is to promote shop sales I'm sure there are other things much more effective. Haidir pass is already the best $ for gc item, and increasing the demand will increase even more the price of the other items like Rostos, who would buy them from shop if you get much more gold from the passes?
This is just my opinion but I was away for several years and these days I see things in-game that I never imagined to be possible, so I may be wrong about this too. :D

If I had a say in the exp payout, something like fluffies would pay higher because of the # of maps to check. They would pay higher than feros with 3 maps to check or dcw with only 2 maps to check or leg orcs. The hardness of the hunt adds to the payout. 

Dealot, I really feel it's meant for higher level players. They have haidir to climb the ladder with, then they can graduate to the big boy/girl pants. Any NPC is fine.

Great idea riptide, +1 here :)

Really like this idea, had thought of the same thing too, i not keen on the idea of the finders to locate the mob as that destroys the hunting aspect.

could you also add to the same npc/quest 'go kill all mobs on xxx map' this would exclude badaran and unicorn as they are special spawns,  i ask this as it would spice up the mix one day you might get the whole map, next it might be just one.

Edited by caladina

In a "kill all mobs on XXXX map" I would only include White Stone/Idaloran/Iriveron if we have some kind of monster counters, just a normal popup every time you kill a new mob would work, soon players would know how many of each mob exist in that map and would not waste time killing again and again the same creature, making the hunt more effective, remember that those maps are 4x the size on MM,DP or Glac.

In fact, I think that the "kill all mobs on xxx map" would be a much more balanced hunting experience for players of all levels, than a "go kill all Red or Black Dragons" quest that feels a lot like "free" exp for those that can do it, also because most of the very high level creatures are only in 1 or 2 places that don't require much exploration/search.
The "kill all mobs in a map" could also be available much sooner, around level 50 with a large quantity of maps.
I imagine this as weekly thing not daily.