Eternal Lands Official Forums
dark_wizzie1

Most Profitable SKill

So... how well do various skills do for moneymaking at high levels? For combat we have to make the distinction between limited "events" (instance, etc) and just killing monsters in regular spawns. I was suggested to take up Alchemy and make HE, but it seems to me that Potions is more profitable, with SRs and EMPs.

Harvesting gypsum I can get 11.2k gc/hr, and anywhere from 5.7-10.3k per hr harvesting iron/silver with or without an alt with 880 carry weight and no mule.

When comparing potion and alchemy skills, keep in mind that high-level potions require 6 nexus and alchemy requires none.

HE actually aren't the highest profit margin for alchemy. HE do sell extremely easily (arguably much easier than those with better profit). However you also should consider that HE do not have rares. With rares, life, death, and magic (and to some extent fire) can quite easily double your profits. How many you can make in an hour varies on how distracted you are, but you can estimate between 1k and 2k an hour for most all of the essences (some faster on Joule).

The good thing about essences is that the ings for all the essence (save DE and SE) are easily accessible and you don't have to buy anything at an NPC. So, anything you harvest yourself increases your profits. This is Alt Lands now,  if your essence of choice needs 2 flowers and a mineral, run an alt on each item, and mix with a fourth. Harvesting on alts doesn't need to be efficient, anything an alt harvests is something you don't have to buy.

Harvesting for the point of selling is a decent option, but there's a lot to consider based off your playstyle. Are you getting xp anywhere else? Harvesting items desirable for sale is quite slow OA exp. OA/pp are valuable, and neglecting them for the sake of profit might not be as beneficial as mixing stuff for xp and a bit less gc. Depending on what you harvest, you can also factor in a bit (or a lot) extra due to rares. 

I don't potion, so I'll not comment on it any further than agreeing with Darrock about vegetable as well as adding that potion requires things bought from an NPC. those costs are fixed, make sure you include them.

Fighting (well) should also be considered one of the best gc generators in the game. Yes the initial costs can be very high, but even at lower levels if you build well and gear decently, fighting can definitely generate quick gc.

TL/DR

Overall, I'd argue that it's not alchemy, potion, harvesting, or anything else that is the best, it's whatever you can stand doing for hours on end the easiest. 

On 10/3/2018 at 7:48 AM, darrock said:

When comparing potion and alchemy skills, keep in mind that high-level potions require 6 nexus and alchemy requires none.

That's a point worth mentioning.

On 10/3/2018 at 4:02 PM, Diealot said:

HE actually aren't the highest profit margin for alchemy. HE do sell extremely easily (arguably much easier than those with better profit). However you also should consider that HE do not have rares. With rares, life, death, and magic (and to some extent fire) can quite easily double your profits. How many you can make in an hour varies on how distracted you are, but you can estimate between 1k and 2k an hour for most all of the essences (some faster on Joule).

The good thing about essences is that the ings for all the essence (save DE and SE) are easily accessible and you don't have to buy anything at an NPC. So, anything you harvest yourself increases your profits. This is Alt Lands now,  if your essence of choice needs 2 flowers and a mineral, run an alt on each item, and mix with a fourth. Harvesting on alts doesn't need to be efficient, anything an alt harvests is something you don't have to buy.

Harvesting for the point of selling is a decent option, but there's a lot to consider based off your playstyle. Are you getting xp anywhere else? Harvesting items desirable for sale is quite slow OA exp. OA/pp are valuable, and neglecting them for the sake of profit might not be as beneficial as mixing stuff for xp and a bit less gc. Depending on what you harvest, you can also factor in a bit (or a lot) extra due to rares. 

I don't potion, so I'll not comment on it any further than agreeing with Darrock about vegetable as well as adding that potion requires things bought from an NPC. those costs are fixed, make sure you include them.

Fighting (well) should also be considered one of the best gc generators in the game. Yes the initial costs can be very high, but even at lower levels if you build well and gear decently, fighting can definitely generate quick gc.

I can make about 1600 an hour using fruits (essentially expendable). For me there are different ways of money that are all valid based on preference/mood/current needs. Sometimes I just want to make money passively, and that means iron or silver (slower but less trips). That yields about 10-9k an hour for iron. Gypsum is maybe 15% faster, but it is very click intensive. It's also only a good 20% faster than iron with no alt without being a mule, so I'd rather take the hit and mine iron. Iron is all fine and good, but sometimes I just want money ASAP because it takes a long time to get a single nexus. 

As you say, harvesting is slow OA xp and probably the only passive way of making cash. This is why I think it makes sense to have two ways of making money: One for harvesting (passive) and one for active (higher OA xp and gc per hr). I'm used to games where there's a lot of volume for goods being traded, meaning if I want to buy a gazillion ing and have it in my storage/bank, I can do that in a few minutes. It's much harder in EL it seems, because every bot except Adarah are prohibitively far from the storage and there aren't enough players to quickly buy anything I want at a well-settled price. So... it may be that I need 2-3 ways of making money... Passive, Active DIY, and Active buying ings. Or... just passively harvest ings instead of iron for ings that are rarely sold and thus overpriced from bots.

If I buy ingredients and mix HE, that's 1600*(10-5-0.6-(0.6/(20/8))) or 6656 gc/hr.  (This is with my 45 alchemy that causes more fails on HE than FE)

For FE it's 2950 for 11,287. But FE is worse XP than HE and HE gc/hr will go up as my alchemy goes up.

Profit per ess (Buy ing) (Not counting ess per hr, which varies based on alch level and food consumption, and failure rates):

HE: (10-5-0.6-(0.6/(20/8))) = 4.16

FE:(4.75+2.6-2-0.75-0.75-(0.6/20))= 3.86

Also worth considering, XP per hr of HE is likely far higher than FE. Even if FEs end up being faster because I can mix more quickly with less failures and pausing to eat, it's not going to be 8 times faster to match the alchemy and OA xp.

Dragrace said he got about 8k gc per hr killing cyclops and ~5.8k per hr killing fluffies. High level combat does seem profitable but it seems very, very far away. Still, it's the best OA xp so...

SR: 17-5.5-0.75-1.2-2-(0.6/(20/9)) = 7.28   (Veg 4)

EMP:  500-(30*1.8)-(15*17)-(10*10)-(0.6/(20/60) = 89.2   (Veg 6)

EMPs are probably bottlenecked significantly by food usage and failures, but SR are barely worse than HE in that regard. Rare chance of EMP with SR, while there's no such thing as Enriched HE. But even if I make SRs at similarish rates to HE, I'd still be around the speed of gypsum mining without an alt or mule.

Just some numbers I'm been thinking about...

Edited by dark_wizzie1