Eternal Lands Official Forums
RipTide

Indicator for Glow

Indicator for Glow. We have an indicator for special days, harvesting, messages, range lock and poison. How about one for glow?

I don't have the perk so its hard to tell if its an easy addition.  Do you get a message when you log in too? What's the exact text of the messages.

Edited by bluap

No, you get no notifications. You have to type #glow on or off. The message is Glow on or Glow off. If you log out with it off it is off when you log on and vice versa.

Edited by RipTide

Should be easy enough to add.  I've just tried the perk with an new player on test.  As far as I can tell, the #glow command is a just a toggle.  So when you start the client, two #glow commands can be issued to get and preserve the current state.  We can use a "G" for the indicator which will be lit up only if glow is on.  If you click the indicator, the #glow command will be sent to the server.  If you issue a manual #glow command, the indicator will change to the new state.  If you do not have the perk, the indicator will say so.  Its probably easier to manually enable/disable the indicator using the existing context menu.  Does that sound OK.

The indicator should be disabled by default, because #glow gives an error message if you don't have the perk, which would be confusing for people not having / knowing the perk. I guess the perfect way would be a method to get a silent glow-state from the server but that would need server-support...

My intention was to intercept the initial messages send after the #glow when the client starts so that would include the error text too.  This is how the indicator would know to say you did not have the perk.

Edited by bluap

I've committed code for this feature to git which functions as I outlined.  Let me know if it works OK and does what you wanted.

Edited by bluap

Why not make the character actually glow... just a little... and so that anyone can see.

I don't need any more indicators on the bottom of my client.

Edited by Diealot

2 hours ago, bluap said:

> I don't need any more indicators on the bottom of my client.

Just right-click and turn off what you don't want.

You are magic.

2 hours ago, RipTide said:

That would be a server function. This is a client side indicator.

So... wouldn't it still be more better?

2 hours ago, Diealot said:

You are magic.

So... wouldn't it still be more better?

Sure I'd love to see the char glow, but you'd first have to get radu to approve it and then code it. That may take a very long time to get done. Besides, I have a beta version for widows and it works fantastic. 1 click on a G and glow is turned on, 1 click and it's turned off. As Bluap has said you can remove any unused indicators you don't need.

While it may not take that long to code, it could require a client update, at least for the  code.

But I can see another reason why some (pk'ers) might not like this. At the moment, there is no

indication that a character has "I glow in the dark", and even less that it's activated. Do you really

want your opponent to know what extra's you have available?

(Not into PK and not having the perk, btw).

On 10.09.2018 at 9:42 AM, revi said:

While it may not take that long to code, it could require a client update, at least for the  code.

But I can see another reason why some (pk'ers) might not like this. At the moment, there is no

indication that a character has "I glow in the dark", and even less that it's activated. Do you really

want your opponent to know what extra's you have available?

(Not into PK and not having the perk, btw).

Opponent                2018                  pick one.

Most of the top levels have glow anyways and it's so damn easy to find out who has it or active or not... Especially in invasions....

i don't think a glow indicator is needed, its a short piece of text to check and even shorter to toggle back if it was already where you wanted it.

only thing i would say is to make an alt command for it if anything, like alt h alt b etc

on that subject if it is added to alt can we have an alt to toggle mana bars/numerals

regarding the 'view opponents extras' mentioed above, i would say we should have normal non effect capes of any colour so we can wear then a, for clours we currently cant wear because we have the ass perk and b, so we can throw a bit of mystery if cloak is an active one

i would suggest that the storage/trade icons are different though, just to rule out any scamming of expensive capes for dress capes

Here's what it looks like. I can turn glow on or off with a click.  This is 1.95p2 it also has an item list filter so that when mixing you can type without changing the recipe you were working with.

27.jpg