Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
saxum

Please check "Lesser Tears" Perk

On freshly restarted client I was mixing SRs and broke 4 mortars in 453 potions which is a very large break rate.

I have seen no improvement since fix.

It is possible it is related to Child of Stars perk for I also noticed percentage of rares, even when I wore Artificer Cape, went down so I transferred nexus.

i checked Harvest/Degrade indicator and astro positive, the only indicator which might indicate astro in this case.

s5b6cbfaa2c522_Screenshot-8_16_20186_22_59PM.png.ae7129e23ddd767a463740bebff1e4c7.png5b6cbfad00c28_Screenshot-8_16_20186_23_17PM.png.7012cc39c61ee9f8cbbacf77e03f58fc.png

I had the same issue today with my alt. He broke 6 m&p in under 1000 sr's. He has lesser tears perk as well.

Do you mean Fewer Tears?

I checked and I don't see a problem in my code. The break rate should be significantly lower with this perk. I need more data from more people.

If you are curious, this is the code:

int my_rand(int max)
{
    if(max==-1)
        {
            char str[100];
            sprintf(str,"Oops, we got a -1 as max in my_rand()");
            log_critical_error(str);
            return 0;
        }

#ifdef WINDOWS
    return rand()%(max+1);
    #else
    return random()%(max+1);
    #endif
}

int tool_break_rand=4;

//stuff

if(check_player_flag(FEWER_TEARS, player_id))tool_break_rand=2;

//stuff

if(my_rand(tool_break_rand)!=1)

{

//do calculations to see if the tool breaks based on astro and such

}

else //the tool doesn't break

Not that this has anything to do with the rest of the thread, but the test "if(max==-1)" would be more robust if it were "if(max<0)" (with a similar change to the error message).

The problem with -1 is that it crashes the server (division by 0). Other values don't cause this problem, so it's not a big deal.

It's your code. Personally, I'd like my code to catch as many bugs as possible. Passing a negative value other than -1 to my_rand may not crash the server, but it will return an incorrect result (e.g., my_rand(-30) returns an integer between 0 and 28, inclusive, probably not what is wanted).

Edited by sgik
changed "negative value" to "negative value other than -1"

M&p must have a terrible break rate then. Even with good astro my alt breaks a few of them.  I don't have my origional counters, but since I've come back to the game, I've broken 41 m&p in 15,000 srs. That's too high esp with fewer tears perk.

Edited by RipTide

4 hours ago, RipTide said:

M&p must have a terrible break rate then. Even with good astro my alt breaks a few of them.  I don't have my origional counters, but since I've come back to the game, I've broken 41 m&p in 15,000 srs. That's too high esp with fewer tears perk.

They have a big break rate.

I dont have the perk, but Child of Stars and  have 795/270k. Have not noticed any change here.

Could the problem be The Child of Stars perk ? Something seem to have changed after the update but not for my alts (without the perk).

I haven't changed that code since I implemented it, so there should be no changes after the update. Of course, keep in mind that Astrology plays a small role in things, the variations are something like +/-10% at most.

It must have been very bad luck to break 4 mortars in 453 potions but I have seen no improvement since Lesser Tears perk added and recommend players not take perk.

Well, the only way to properly test is is take a few players (some with that perk some without) and with the skeptic perk and try a few K of things.

I noticed everything got weird when I got Child of Stars perk.  I used to have The artificer cape and was regular mixer of magic esses.  I used to mix when astro was high and I recorded how many EMEs mixed per ME.  After I got Child of Stars perk it went down dramatically to point it was not worth wearing cape and I transferred nexus.

Basically I find a lot of minor non-combat perks are useless. 

It seems combat perks are tested a lot and are important to be fixed and more easily tested.

Other ones are contributed to luck but when you break 3 hammers making 30 leather boots you would really like to know if something is wrong or just bad luck.

Thanks for checking.

as asked in guild to post my breakage on M&P :

in 7 months since i started again:   i broke 98 M&P on about 32k (of which 29398 SrS) potions

i broke 101 M&P in 33549 potions.   so for tonight (woth good astro: degrade 400 = 3 m&p in 1046 srs)

no child of stars perk and i havent paid much attention to astro. 

in comparison i broke 27 hammer and chisel on 17k polished jewels

Edited by niemand
new rate

for more data: tonight  i made 992 srs, had 3 emps, and broke 6 m&p

degrade was +410( fat green)

failure: 1 (slight red)

my level 79 potion

Saxum

To continue from our conversation last night,  ill be happy to provide numbers because im skeptic and lack the perk. I'll provide my break rate since returning to the game and will provide them as I make more

To be fair, using mortars as an example isnt great because they have a horrible break rate already as it is.

It would be a bit more realistic, imo, if we look at all the tools even the harvest meds and vial molds.

Mortars are simply frail. Reducing break rate by 30 percent of a high breakage rate will stiil give you a bad break rate imo. Correct me if im wrong.

If I make 1k spirit restore pots as I stand, I easily break 3 no fail. Actually ill do a bag of 1k ings and consistently drop5 mortars and will store 2 or 3 when done mixing.  Ill provide actual numbers when I get back from the gym

I stopped buying them actually. I make them at gyp.

Edited by thgilsrooc
grammar

I would be really interested to see the vial mold results because thats my favorite tool but I once rage quit the game for 5 years after breaking 2 of them in 100 mixes.