Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aislinn

Particle Percentage Problem

Bluap, I need your help!  :)

Okay, background first.  Up until somewhat recently, I used the particle percentage, generally around the 25% to 50% range.  This worked on everything: fires, teleportals, spells, harvesting effect, fountains, etc.  I am not sure when things changed, but now that does not work at all.  Nothing happens.  Ben suggested I used this on the "old" particle system that is the backup if one toggles off Eye Candy, but after relogging, still nothing happens unless I turn it down to 0% and then it just shuts off.  This is most definitely not what used to happen and I'm sure it worked on eye candy stuff as well.  I have used this long after eye candy was introduced.

Why was the ability to set percentage removed?  I loved it and used it always.  It was very useful both aesthetically and performance-wise.  I wish I could remember when I noticed it wasn't working but I could have been on an older client as well.  

I have tried lowering the Max Idle Cycles per Second but that just makes it slow and choppy and unattractive.  I tried adjusting the Max/Min Effects Framerate and nothing happens at all.   I prefer the percentage option because it doesn't slow it down but rather just makes the effect less dense, which is much more aesthetically pleasing.  Also to note, no relogging was necessary for this to work.

Any way to bring back the percentage adjustment for all eye candy?  I really, really miss it.

I just checked the client from github (as of 2018-07-22). In that client, particles are full strength even if set to 0 (for shield spell, anyway), even if I log off, then back on.

Looking at the code, the particles_percentage value is only dynamically used for weather effects.  Otherwise its used when a new effect is loaded or as an off switch if the value is 0.  The value is not used by the eye candy effects at all as far as I can tell.  This code has not changed for many releases but I guess something could have been lost when the EYE_CANDY #defs were removed.

Thank you for the explanation, bluap.  Is there any way it can be put back in use for all eye candy?

For eye candy effects, there is already dynamic control based on frame-rate and the associated settings.  Its probably possible to factor in the particles_percentage value as you suggest though.  When eye candy is off, there are only limited effects that fall back to the old system.  However, these old effects do not dynamically use  particles_percentage currently, but they could do.

Yes, I tested out the old effects, they are okay but obviously nowhere near as nice as the eye candy.  I'd prefer the current eye candy to have the user option to use the percentage values, if it's at all possible.  I've tried the frame rate settings and that just makes things slow and choppy.  Lessening the density is a much nicer way to control it.  :)  :wub:  :D

I've done part of what you requested.  As far as I can tell, the code changed 10 years ago, when the EYE_CANDY #define was removed.  When that was done, lots of the old particle creation code was removed too.  Also, I have not found any sign of there being an instant effect when changing the particle percentage.  Anyway, I've restored the old particle system where it was lost and it now works for fountains, fires, teleport, teleportation and ground bag effects.  I've also implemented a way to instantly reflect changes to the particle percentage value.  As a bonus, F9 fire creation now also supports SHIFT+F9 to turn the fire off.  These changes are pushed to git.  (The Linux snap package in the edge channel has the new code.)  The eye candy use of particle percentage looks to be complex but I'm still investigating.

Edited by bluap

Wow, fantastic, thank you bluap!  I'm playing with it now and fountains, fires, teleports, teleportation, and ground bag all work as you described.  And the shift-F9 is great, thank you for thinking of that!  This is great, thank you so much!  (I know, I know, silly things but they make me very happy!  :D )