Eternal Lands Official Forums

on all the Skill Big Books, we are still missing a recipe for the Potion and Engeneering Big books. I would suggest to create them. Also i think An big book of Alchemy would fullfill the mixing Skill Big Books.

Before anyone say but Potions and Alchemy are already so easy to level. I agree. I actually do not think that to many people will read Big Potion Books after they reached a certain level. Or would need to read an Alchemy Book at all. But I think those books should exist and be makeable for the very pro of the Craft. Simply as a Sign of Hey you are a pro.

I think some players would read those books if not  at ridiculous NPC prices to start potions, alchemy or engineering to skip the initial fail very often phase especially in potions which tends to result in a lot of broken mortars.

Alchemy/potion, why not?

Engineering is sort of the last hold out of 'if you want the levels, you'll have to mix' type skills (alchemy sort of fits there, but it's much less avoidable than engineering unless you have a huge gc vault). Introducing more accessible (cheaper) big books for engineering would do away with that, and whether that's a good or bad thing is best decided by radu.

Engineering xp speeds up once you can produce treasure finders (TF), so similarly to tailoring and white wizard hats, I'd guess people would probably read big books (if they are similarly priced to tailoring/others) until they could make those. There's currently only 20ish level 100+ engineers, the top 50ish are 80+ (high enough for TF). The top 100 is 71+ (Borderline TF) and the top 200 are 56+.  More simply put, do you want to do away with most of the engineering mixes pre-TF? If so, make big book craftable.

I say go for it, but I could see how others have different views (particularly on engineering).

BTW i am at the level of making Treasure Finders. And yes getting there is a pain in the ass. and extremly costly. The big book already exists in game, why not make it makeable. just set the action points level needed high enough and they will not be cheap XP. My reasoning is  actually not that i want to read the big books myself, but that i rather have it as an item to make or look forward to making

You might not want to read the book, but the fact is that if the book is makeable, it's likely to be significantly easier (and possibly cheaper) to read your way to TF level. Having it be that way (particularly if cost effective) essentially cuts out the majority of the skill.

It's similar to tailoring. Because tailor books are makeable (they have quite high AcP requirement), reading books is both easier and cheaper than making low level tailor items. So a player wanting to tailor WWH (or make books) simply needs to buy books and read them, not do any actual tailoring, until they are high enough level.  

I've always thought that writing Big Books should remove more exp from the player then the reader gets.

9 hours ago, Learner said:

I've always thought that writing Big Books should remove more exp from the player then the reader gets.

Why would I become dumber (less experienced) writing a book on how to do something?   I don't see the sense in that.

That said, big-books and quests sure take all the accomplishment out of leveling up a skill from zero.  These days you just read a couple books and bang, level 26.  Do it on the right #day and it's level 29 (6K short of L30).  <yawn>

3 hours ago, bkc56 said:

Why would I become dumber (less experienced) writing a book on how to do something?   I don't see the sense in that.

That said, big-books and quests sure take all the accomplishment out of leveling up a skill from zero.  These days you just read a couple books and bang, level 26.  Do it on the right #day and it's level 29 (6K short of L30).  <yawn>

I see it as magically transferring the experience. So it's a magic item not an ordinary book. Think about it more ... you write a book and then read it yourself. It obviously isn't a normal book or you wouldn't gain that much exp!

14 hours ago, Learner said:

Now that's interesting stealing exp from others

Edited by dragon_killer

7 minutes ago, vinoveritas said:

:P would not really be against that but then no acp needed anymore

or much less ACP would be needed. ACP basically helps prevent mass production of these after all.

Personally, I think all the skills should have a BB, Att, Def, Range and mag. Just some books you shouldn't be able to read more than once or less exp each time after the first. I don't want to see "end game" items flood in. We need the OA cap raised to 200. imho

I agree that players should be able to mix all bb.