Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
StouXy

Renewing EL website

Hi everyone,

after looking at the EL official website ( http://www.eternal-lands.com/), I came to realization, that the site could use some new looks and I decided to write down some suggestions, that could make EL site "cooler".

Here's few of them, and I will be glad if you guys could tell whether these ideas are good, or not. Also if you have any more ideas, write down below. Thank you :)

The main goals of the web that I will focus on: PRIMARY: Getting new player

Secondary: Shop sales

Secondary: Info for new/old players

1. First of all, I would start with the landing page. Most definitively there is missing a "DOWNLOAD or PLAY NOW" button a.k.a CTA ( call to action ). Which HAS to be visible throughout your entire time of site searching. It should be fixed on top of the site, so wherever you go, you can click the "play now" button. People need to see this option at all costs, for obvious reasons :D

2. SHOP. Lack of CTA ( call to action ) button. On top of that, when you check the store- first what you see is a big red warning of what not to do. It is okay, but it's not the main goal of what you're trying to achieve when you open your shop, is it? What I suggest is to move this "warning" to the bottom of the site. Also, items are outdated and not up to date. I would add everything that is for sale, I would divide it to certain categories: such as: weapons/ mounts/ clothes etc... ( the items radu decides to sell only ). Also on top of that, I would display each and every item that is being offered for sale. People like to see what they're buying. So the overall structure would be changed and sorted. Also it is only at the middle of site- I would scratch that to the entire width. Buttons,images, texts, subtexts would be added.

3. Important info/ "useless" info.
Here, I would divide the site into 2 sites. On the "main" site, there would be all the things you need to know/see. For example: PLAY NOW button/ SHOP/ Screenshots/ Forums/ Some sort of promotional video/ News etc...

Then, there would be the "full site", where we'd put all the other infos, such as: Manuals/stories/blog/calendar etc...
Would need to take some time to sort things out.

4. As far as graphics goes, I would renew it. Hiring a graphics designer, that would do the custom graphics for EL site. It hurts me to say this, but I would go with similar look Runescape has. ( http://www.runescape.com/c=xZe3stdOgdY/community). All subsites would have it's own custom design. More details would be talked over with the graphics designer.

These are 4 key components I would suggest EL website needs.

Main goal is to get the newcomer to download the game. To make the first impression really good and comfortable.

This is just a part of things I would change.

What are your thoughts? Leave a comment below. Thanks :)

-StouXy-

I think this is a great idea. One thing I have thought through the years is why isnt it easier to find a spot to download the game ? I think play now buttons to DL would be an awesome idea. Also I agree shop page also needs some work.

What do you mean? The download button is pretty visible on the main site.

It is, but it just doesn't stand out. It must be in different color and it must be on every subpage, fixed on top of the page. Also in download page, there should be buttons to download such as:" download for mac " , "download for windows" etc...

I think the Runescape website is tacky. Yuck.

If people aren't willing to read and just want flashy pictures, maybe this isn't the game for them.

I don't know how anyone can miss the Download button. It's on every page.

I do agree the shop page could use a makeover, though.

yes this is a good idea !!! i think the shop part could look really cool and make you want to buy , Also add random item givers to the shop ! Feed my addiction i need a fix!!! ahah

I think the Runescape website is tacky. Yuck.

If people aren't willing to read and just want flashy pictures, maybe this isn't the game for them.

I don't know how anyone can miss the Download button. It's on every page.

I do agree the shop page could use a makeover, though.

But when people see it, they stay on the site to be honest.

People are willing to read, but not when there's like 95% text and 5% pictures :P My 2cents.

It's not on: players online/ forums ( IMPORTANT )/ news&updates/ Stories/ Blog/ interface/ game guide/ etc... But what I mean is that it needs to be highlighted, better looking than anything else.

The pages you are pointing out without a Download button are not part of the EL website, some not owned or run by radu. They are external links.

We are not living in the time of reading, generation X is all about BIG FLASHY PICTURES.

Don't know the grinding would be their interest though. :P

-Kaddy

We are not living in the time of reading, generation X is all about BIG FLASHY PICTURES.

Don't know the grinding would be their interest though. :P

-Kaddy

Ehh? I'm at the older end of Generation X and I completely disagree! Do you mean Millennials or Generation Z maybe?

And yeah, I don't see a point to make the website look like something the game is not.

I wanted to play on another computer some time ago and were looking for a button for very long time.

My friend came and we were both trying to find a download button.

( I am from the time where we were reading books)

The line where it say - the download page - look for us both like - the (empty spaces) page.

We are both partly colorblind and with a pale text on a pale backgroung is it impossible to see. ( is it blue on pink ? )

A lot of people have same problem, dont we want them to play ?

There are several other words like this, impossible to read if you dont highlight them.

So a button or at least a highlighted black text would be great. And on top of the page, please.

Ehh? I'm at the older end of Generation X and I completely disagree! Do you mean Millennials or Generation Z maybe?

And yeah, I don't see a point to make the website look like something the game is not.

lol yeah my bad, meant for Z :P

but you got my point ^^

I wanted to play on another computer some time ago and were looking for a button for very long time.

My friend came and we were both trying to find a download button.

( I am from the time where we were reading books)

The line where it say - the download page - look for us both like - the (empty spaces) page.

We are both partly colorblind and with a pale text on a pale backgroung is it impossible to see. ( is it blue on pink ? )

A lot of people have same problem, dont we want them to play ?

There are several other words like this, impossible to read if you dont highlight them.

So a button or at least a highlighted black text would be great. And on top of the page, please.

Now that's the kind of information that's really useful.

Thing is, as there are 4 different downloads, 1 download button wouldn't work.

But a button per OS should work.

@Zamirah: You can read the menu bar at the top of the page on the EL website? (the one with

"Home Features Forum Shop Download"). I realise that the download page itself will

probably give you problems as well (same blue colour on tan background...).

@Zamirah: You can read the menu bar at the top of the page on the EL website? (the one with

"Home Features Forum Shop Download"). I realise that the download page itself will

probably give you problems as well (same blue colour on tan background...).

I can read almost all, but the small text is hard to read. The words Android client only because of the size.

The only real problem is the 2 words the FORUMS page and the DOWNLOAD page.

The download page is easier, bigger text and I know what to look for.

I use the blue white forum skin, the EL skin do I not see the white text.

My problem is dark text on dark background, light text on light background.

As an example is the guild chat invisible to me - I use black background.

But other can have problems with other colors, you should ask them.

Edited by Zamirah

I agree with Zamirah, I prefer the default IP Board white/blue forum skin as well; that's what I use. Is there a reason we can't keep the artistry and design we have for the EL site but change the background, button, and text colors?

And of course we want them to play but we need to know these things are a problem in order to address them.

If you need some help with giving the EL Forum a new design, just send me a message. I found it has lost its old look.

I tried not to find the infamous Download button and I couldn't.

Maybe make the header follow you while you scroll the page might help more.

Shop page need some systematization to help choosing between categories (and moving the "Read before you buy" section of the page into another place -as stated - , maybe called "How I buy").

Some pages might need some content update (new items, monsters, commands).

I like the current overall look and feel, it is similar to the look and feel of the game itself.

(The new look of the forum hurts my brain and eyes).

3 hours ago, tropatropa said:

Maybe make the header follow you while you scroll the page might help more.

Ugh, if there is one thing I hate on a website, it's THAT.

I like the change, but miss the new topic feature that was on the side. ;) it helped me find spam easier :P

4 hours ago, RipTide said:

I like the change, but miss the new topic feature that was on the side. ;) it helped me find spam easier :P

Top menu bar (just under the title) has  an option 'Activity', which shows the recent threads in order of update.