Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

New client binaries for testing

Bluap has provided the latest binaries. They include the high DPI work he has done, described here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60911

He also added some of my Android client code that makes targeting small mobs easier, and should also help with bags covered by dead mobs.

Please download and test, and report any problems here.

Christmas update:

You can now make it snow:

Download the client binary again, from the same links,

Download this file, and place it in the EL data directory. https://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/weather.xml

Press F8 to toggle the snow on/off!

Windows:

https://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/el.exe

Linux 32

https://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/el.i686.linux.bin.static

Linux 64

https://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/el.x86_64.linux.bin.static

If you download the Linux binary before the time of this post, you should download it again. There was a crash when pressing F2 with sound on that has now been fixed. Thus did not effect the windows binary.

Solved: downloaded 32 bit version not 64

I can't start the new client

./el.i686.linux.bin.static
./el.i686.linux.bin.static: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

uname -a
Linux linux-gkxb 4.14.3-1.ga731a45-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 30 09:05:48 UTC 2017 (a731a45) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Distri is: OpenSUSE Leap 42.3

Greetings Ligur

Edited by Ligur

Just downloaded the 64-bit linux client, and I also run OpenSuse leap 42.3.
No problem running the client, IF I start it with "padsp ./el.x86_64.linux.bin.static"
(otherwise no sound).

For me, the libGL.so.1 is located at /usr/X11R6/lib/ ("ldd ./el.x86_64.linux.bin.static"),
and part of the package "nvidia-glG04" (YAST2 search in file list)
(I'm using an NVidia GTX 1060 card, overkill for EL, but not for image treatment).

Note that there's also a libGL.so.1 in /usr/lib64, provided by Mesa-libGL1,
but that's a software implementation, which EL avoids.

But: finding the interface scaling control under the "fonts" tab surprised me a bit,

I expected it under Controls, HUD, video or graphics

@revi I'm not sure from what you say if the library paths is an issue; perhaps I'm missing something. The ui scale option has moved about a bit during development. I finally put it on the "Fonts" tab as it is less clutter but mostly because its where the other options are that effect the size of things.

Edit: The Ubuntu and Debian packages in the testing repos are ready now too.

Edited by bluap

All UI items scaling well,

but i have problem with cursor.

Since i got laptop with 4K screen (lenovo T570) i have problem with cursor size (only in EL window)

It means, when i move cursor over EL window its geting smaller

for example cursor over windows desktop https://zapodaj.net/48b38b6409969.jpg.html

and cursor over EL window https://zapodaj.net/6223858e9f5d4.jpg.html

its no problem with system settings, in other aps scalling cursor (and other item) works well

any idea?

sry for my english :)

karolus, that's a good point. I didn't do anything to scale the cursor. I'll take a look at doing that. For interest, what scale setting are you using on a 4K screen? Thanks.

I know you have previously said that you do not have a mac to make a mac version, but have you (or anyone else) contacted Sir_Odie about compiling a mac version of this build? I would be very interested.

karolus, that's a good point. I didn't do anything to scale the cursor. I'll take a look at doing that. For interest, what scale setting are you using on a 4K screen? Thanks.

in OS settings I set 200% scale (3840x2160), unfortunately this seting dont change cursor size over EL window (in pure windows and other aps it works great)

btw, i have "small cursor" in oryginal EL client too, but i hope there is any solution not only habitiate it :)

this is "fresh laptop" so i have almost fresh windows with new Nvidia drivers (geforce 940MX), so i think its not OS/drivers problem but....... i think im not only with 4K screen and EL on board, i curious if other have similar problem

I have updated the Linux and windows builds with a new version that includes an option to make the mouse pointer bigger. For now, this is an option on the "Fonts" tab next to the "UI Scaling" option. It may be better to switch the size automatically depending the the "UI Scale" value. Currently, the default value is the original pointer size, but you can double the value using the new option. I did have larger scaling factors working on Linux but these did not work on Windows; I will continue to investigate why. The method to scale the mouse pointer is crude but probably good enough for now; I just duplicate the pixels to the left.

The Windows and Linux build have been updated with the latest changes. As it's Christmas, you can also see a preview falling snow (press F8 to switch on/off). This feature has been dormant in the client for quite some time. If you want to see the snow in all its glory, download the updated weather file and save it to your data directory.

Edit: I've uploaded new builds with a check to avoid having to press F8 twice to activate the snow if it has already stopped.

Edited by bluap

New Linux and Windows builds are done, replacing the links above. These show a version number of 1.9.4p8. Here's what has changed:

• Adjustment to the cursor hotspots; the active point of the cursor (mouse pointer) image. Some of these hotspots have always been off a little but the new UI scaling and the cursor scaling makes the incorrect offsets more noticeable. A particularly bad example was the USE cursor and was sometimes causing the wrong item to be used from the inventory window.
  • Fix forum issue http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60942: If you have an active spell waiting for a target and click close to a creature, cast the spell on the creature rather than attack it.
  • Fixed issues where the incorrect cursor was sometimes showing when the mouse was over the console or the raw HUD. Consistently use the arrow cursor.

New Linux and Windows builds are done, replacing the links above and updating the Ubuntu (in-progress) and Debian packages. These show a version number of 1.9.4.10/1.9.4p10.

Notes on the changes are here https://github.com/raduprv/Eternal-Lands/releases/tag/1.9.4.10

Changes include performance improvements of eye candy effects for targeted spells like mana drain.

Hello all:

I have just installed the new version (1.9.5.0) and when I entered Ozu! guild map the client crashed. After that, when I try to log in that char the client always crashes. I think Burn fixed the same problem when version 1.9.4 was released.

Could you fix that problem again, please?

Thank you very much.

Yulin_Old.

Do you have any idea where in the code the crash is occurring?

Until the main server is updated, you will have some issues with maps.  Does the crash happen on the test server too?

Edited by bluap

Hello bluap:

I got these error messages:

[21:39:45, actor_init.cpp:139] Error: GL error at actor animation program
[21:39:45, sound.c:5012] Error: Warning: Points defined for default boundary. Points will be ignored.
[21:42:58] Last message repeated 14 times
[21:42:58, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file './3dobjects/rocks/snow_rockbig2.e3d'.
[21:42:58, io/e3d_io.c:364] Error: Can't open file './3dobjects/rocks/snow_rockbig2.e3d'!
[21:42:58, 3d_objects.c:442] Error: Can't load file "./3dobjects/rocks/snow_rockbig2.e3d"!
[21:42:58, 3d_objects.c:490] Error: Something nasty happened while trying to process:
[21:42:58, io/elfilewrapper.c:796] Error: Can't open file './3dobjects/rocks/ice_rockbig2.e3d'.
[21:42:58, io/e3d_io.c:364] Error: Can't open file './3dobjects/rocks/ice_rockbig2.e3d'!
[21:42:58, 3d_objects.c:442] Error: Can't load file "./3dobjects/rocks/ice_rockbig2.e3d"!
[21:42:58, 3d_objects.c:490] Error: Something nasty happened while trying to process:

This was the program output:  Note it is overwritten each time you run the game.

I checked and the crash happens on the test server too.

Thank you very much.

Yulin_Old.

The 3dobjects/rocks directory does not exist in the new data pack, I guess your guild map elm file is out of date.  Could it be that you have an old version still.  Did you copy your maps files to keep your tab maps but also copied your .elm.gz file too?  What do you get in the client if you use this command:

#ckdata 13501f453d8448c86a55527ef734f989 maps/guildmap_ozu.elm.gz

I installed it from your ppa and I copied tab maps but only .dds files, not elm.gz.

I got this message when I executed the comand:

ckdata: File matches expected checksum

OK, bang does that theory.  The file is really old though so I wonder why that is.

Edited by bluap

There have been no subdirectories in /3dobjects since before 1.9.3 so the map is quite old. The e3d's listed are directly in the /3dobjects folder.

Creating a /rocks directory and having the e3d in it didn't help.

Though I suspect that in itself isn't the issue, as several old guild maps have bad objects like that but they still load fine.

I don't recall doing a fix for this myself either... though I know I've visited that map before I started working with the maps and no crash. I've certainly not touched the map itself, it still has a 2010 datestamp.

Are you stuck?

If you're no longer able to log in, do the following:

1- in you maps directory, rename guildmap_ozu.elm.gz to guildmap_ozu.elm.gz.REAL

2- Rename testermap.elm.gz to guildmap_ozu.elm.gz

3- Log in. You should be seeing a plain green grass map.

4- Teleport, ring, beam off of the map

5- Once you're off, rename guildmap_ozu to testermap, and remove REAL from the actual file to get your files back as they should be.

Ozu map seems to be the only one crashing in this manner. I've tested all other guild maps.

It's not something at the entrance, either. I've tried mod-command teleporting into the map in various different places, all crash. So it's crashing with a general map loading. :-/

Which is truly odd since it hasn't been changed. I could definitely enter this map back in 2014 (1.9.3).

I'll look into it more, but honestly dunno what to do without knowing what is causing the crash.

---------------------------------------

Separate note:

I get occasional crashes when using the mod teleport command. This isn't the same issue as

It's not common, but best I can tell it tends to happen when teleporting too/from areas that are of a laggy nature.

Best place I could reproduce it was as such... teleport back and forth between

25 150 10 (VotD near sto)

200 100 153 (a guildmap spot that drops even my good computer down to the 20s in FPS)

Worse, I crashed occasionally just walking around that area on that guild map. I didn't do that before, back in 1.9.3 days.

The first error was most normally seen.

*** Error in `/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin': double free or corruption (out): 0x000000000a94a580 ***

======= Backtrace: =========
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x721af)[0x7f7ee97c81af]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x77706)[0x7f7ee97cd706]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x78453)[0x7f7ee97ce453]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x415af0]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x415bc0]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x415a66]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4c348e]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4c357a]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4c36df]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4c3807]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4d102c]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4bd3cc]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin(main+0x9b)[0x4bdce2]
/lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5)[0x7f7ee97766e5]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4101d9]

*** Error in `/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin': free(): invalid pointer: 0x000000000514b2e0 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x721af)[0x7f52477811af]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x77706)[0x7f5247786706]
/lib64/libc.so.6(+0x78453)[0x7f5247787453]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x415af0]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x415bc0]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x415a66]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4c348e]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4c357a]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4c36df]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4c3807]
/home/flame/el_linuxTESTSERVER/el.x86.linux.bin[0x4d102c]