Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

Help with testing new client (including high DPI support)

For quite some time, I've been working on extensive changes to the client to enable scaling of the user interface; handy if you have a high DPI screen and would like to be able to make fonts and UI features larger. Some of the changes were included into the Android client but all elements are now scalable. While there are not any additional features, some bugs have been fixed and some code tidied up. Some UI elements have been cleaned up too. At regular scale, you may not notice a lot of difference over a client build directly from the main source; all changes since the last release are include in these builds.

I've been doing these changes on a separate branch of the code but have now reached the point where I want to push these changes to the main branch so that they can be included in the next client release. As there has been a lot of code changes, we need to test things. I think it is stable and usable as your main client, you can run this client on the main server, so please help with the testing!

• If you are using windows, you use this version (it will have a .p1 tag in the version).
  • If you are using Linux, you can use this 64 bit version, or this 32 bit version (these will have a g7abd tag).
  • I built these on the same machines I built the last release client so they should work just as well.
  • If you are using a Mac, you will have to build your own client as I do not have one.
  • If you build your own client from source, make sure to switch to the ui_scaling branch.
  • I'm building Ubuntu and Debian packages for the testing repositories currently. You will get these as normal when they are built.

• Make sure you save/rename your existing client and that you test the downloaded/build version.
  • The scaling factor can be set from the "Fonts" tab of the options window.
  • Most UI elements scale as you change the value, a couple of windows close when the scale is changed, the option window will be scaled after a restart.
  • To scale chat/name/mark fonts, use the existing font size options.
  • To scale the mini-map, use the existing option for the overall window size, the dots and title bar do now scale with the new scaling factor.
  • Please report any issues to this thread:
    • Do not report issues with overlapping windows/UI elements if you choose a scale too large for your setup. You can alter the scale up to 3x currently so you can easily make a mess!
    • Do report any crashes you experience, unless you get them on the original client too, report those elsewhere.
    • Do report any weird behaviour, things looking odd or things that could be tidier.
    • Do report any UI elements that do not yet scale; I think I have done everything.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by bluap

I'm on Arch linux and your 64 bit version works fine for me.

I have only gone up to 2x and at that point, given the size of my EL window, it starts to make a mess of things.

Would it be possible to put in a "Return to Default Settings" option/button?

Also, I notice when I bring the HUD back down to normal size, everything goes back to its correct position except the boxes for the quickbar boxes. They just vanished except for the one that still fit when I was enlarging the HUD stuff. Closing and reopening the EL window did not bring them back.

I have only gone up to 2x and at that point, given the size of my EL window, it starts to make a mess of things.

Also, I notice when I bring the HUD back down to normal size, everything goes back to its correct position except the boxes for the quickbar boxes. They just vanished except for the one that still fit when I was enlarging the HUD stuff. Closing and reopening the EL window did not bring them back.

Thanks for testing! Rather than another button, just set the option back to 1.00 and its back to default. Is that OK? You can set the number of quickbar slots using the option in the HUD tab. I was thinking of a way to do that automatically, so in the next version hopefully......

I've noticed the mouse over text for the idle state of the knowledge bar is mis-placed, I've fixed it for the next build.

Thanks for testing! Rather than another button, just set the option back to 1.00 and its back to default. Is that OK? You can set the number of quickbar slots using the option in the HUD tab. I was thinking of a way to do that automatically, so in the next version hopefully......

I did set all of them back to 1.00 manually. It just seemed it would be easier to have a clean 1-button sweep to set everything back to default after one has made a mess of things. Not the end of the world if we can't do that.

About the quickbar boxes, yes it occurred to me a while after the fact to re-add them. It feels like a cleaner solution to have them reappear automagically once the settings are back to default or a size that can accommodate them again (if they were there in the first place).

My pleasure to help test! :)

A couple of additional points;

• Please tell us if you have been using this new client for a while and have had no issues other then those already listed.
  • Please note that even if you do not use the scaling option and leave it at the default, you are still using the new code so it would be useful to test it,

I have some new builds.

• If you are using windows, you use this version (it will have a .p2 tag in the version string).
  • If you are using Linux, you can use this 64 bit version, or this 32 bit version, both are static builds, the version string will have a g2ee02 tag.
  • Debian and Ubuntu packages are being built too, you will get these with your normal updates if you are using the development version.

What's new.

• Quick item and quick spell windows now grow back to the size set in the options when space is available. This is when changing scale but also if you change the screen size or change other right hud elements.
  • Like the quick items window, the quick spells window is now relocatable, right click a spell for the options.
  • In the options window, you can now right-click a label to set the value to the default, or to the last value read from the el.ini file.
  • There have been lots of minor improvements and all the reported display issues have been fixed, as well as a few I found myself.
  • A crash on exit for the Linux static build has been fixed but this could have effected the release client too.

Attempted to download Windows version via Firefox and got "Unknown Error" multiple times.

When I tried Chrome I got message "This site can’t be reached. The connection was reset."

Webserver is available ("Welcome to twinmoons.org.uk" is on main page).

@saxum Not sure what I can do, the file is there, I can download it from the link I provided. You can see the webserver so you should be able to see the file. Could something on your system be blocking you downloading a windows execuable? The page with the file is https://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/, or http://twinmoons.org.uk/el/git/ without the SSL. The file you want is el.exe which is just a link to the latest build el_20171127.exe.

I am crashing whenever I use the F2 key on both the first and second clients you posted. What information would you like me to give you, if any?

Linux 64 bit versions and Firefox is the browser I'm set to connect to. I do get the link showing up in Firefox but I crash right after.

That sounds familiar, I had to make a static build specific change for the last release. I'd forgotten about that. I'll build a new version......