Eternal Lands Official Forums
CherUT

Ranging fix

I vote NO don't change this "feature".

Everyone already knows how to work around it (just stand close enough). Also this would probably change the "pinning" mechanism we currently have. This has been around since ranging was introduced no reason to change it now because one person got serped.

The only one who benefits of a mob fleeing from the tank is to someone who is trying to serp.

There are multiple ways to serp - why is one worst than another. You can be on a mob and done a lot of damage but someone with a Serp(ent)ing sword can come in, damage mob causing giants etc to spawn before you are ready resulting in death / loss of drop and rosto.

Why is one type of serp bad and other should be changed?

I have to say that this has been a puzzle to me for a long time. I mean, if a tank is fighting it why on earth would a mob flee then attack the person who is ranging from too far away?

The ONLY benefit to this 'feature' is if you are the type of scumbag who is trying to pull the mob from the tank so you can steal the drops. Cos you're probably too weak to work said mob &/or isn't playing as part of a team cos of being a scumbag shunned by people who like being in a team. Or possibly mentally deficient and/or morally corrupt. Or all of these things.

So yes - please, PLEASE fix this nonsense so that the mob being tanked can not be pulled (unintentionally or cos a scumbag is on the rob) away from those who are actually putting in the effort and so actually do deserve the drop(s) from said mob.

There are other ways to serp - are all serpers scumbags who should be banned or are other players okay if they do not use a bow?

Please change :)

For me who loves ranging its just an bug that need to be fixed , nothing more nothing less.

Its just not how it supposed to be, spending all that precious time searching the right spot and when you got it somebody gets in line and the ritual starts again.

And you also train your ranging skill to shoot from more distance, so why you always need to be on the same distance to be a part of team play !,

grt

Just wanted to clarify a couple of points.

Firstly, this is not solely about serping - one incident or in general - it is predominantly (for me at least) about the fact that it is wrong. It's not how it should work & just because "something has always been this way" does not automatically make it ok. A ranger is, in essence, a distance attacker. Attacking, as it were, from a range.

If that was not the way it was supposed to work, why would anyone bother to level their ranging skill in order to be more effective over a greater distance?

Or you can think of it from a more roleplaying point of view - who fights mobs hand-to-hand? The stronger fighters. Who stays clear of the melee and aids their comrades by shooting arrows into things? The archers / rangers. Who, let's face it, are normally the pasty-skinned 'mysterious' elves. All that fey stuff, flowing robes and whatnot...

That aside, if this is a roleplaying game, how can anyone play a role that doesn't work completely as it should?

When this was talked of before, I'm almost certain I remember Radu saying he could fix it so the mobs wouldn't flee due to a ranging attack without it having any other effects. By which I took it to mean it would not alter anything else - such as how pinning mobs works. Admittedly this is mostly an inference as opposed to a clear confirmation that pinning would not change but I'm sure if you asked him he'd be able to say 'yes' or 'no'.

Also, and this is just a minor point, if you're going to quote someone in order to make a point at least use the whole quote & not just the part(s) that suit your purpose. Not only did I not mention anyone getting banned but - as far as I have seen at least - nobody has. Put this with the misquoting thing & I could easily refer to your post where you are the first person to have proposed, and I quote, "...all serpers..." "...scumbags who should be banned...". See - it's easy to twist something you don't agree with but it's silly so please don't.

Which brings me to my final point here. Not so long ago Saxum died in the 145200 invance then got all mad about it & said he wasn't coming back etc. Do you know why he died?
It's because a mob I was fighting was pulled from me by an archer helping from the wall. This mob then attacked Saxum which, in addition to the mob he was already fighting, proved too much for him and he died.

That would not happen again if this was fixed so, you know, just putting that out there too...

Please understand that I'm not trying to be argumentative - it's just that some of the things I have said, either here or in channel, seem to have been a little misconstrued & I just wanted to clear it up. Hope I have but maybe not...

Thanks.

:medieval:

Well I die a lot anyways. I think sometimes I am invited to generate rosto loss for radu.

I am all for removing that feature.

As an alternative turn it around, so if a ranger is to close he gets attacked. This would make sense to me, because if someone shoots from far away while i am engaged in battle i would not run after the shooter who misses me probably a lot but focus on the ones attacking me in close combat.

But if a ranger would be to close to me, so he would hit me all the time i would attack after all that would be 1 enemy less.

This is difficult, as we used this feature also for help ppl in distress, pulled mob off from the cooldowned fighter/ranger and saved a rosto that way. But maybe it would be good to change it anyway, there would be more benefit than loss, as i would like to see possibility range further some cases. :bow_arrow:

could be just bound to bow?... example with short,long,recurve you won't make mobs flee and w/ elves you do?... sometimes it is usefull...

Nothing is supposed to be bound to race ("elves") except there are no books on fighting races which only be obtained by paying a fee.

@Saxum: Could Koddy perhaps have been talking about elven bow, and not about the elves as in-game race?

Also, the fighting books you mention can be dropped by certain monsters (and not all that high level either), so unless you call that also "paying a fee"...

@Koddy: Afaik, the Elven bow is the most used in invasions, and does the most damage, so perhaps that should not be the one that makes the mobs flee. Recurve might be a good choice, the others are probably too inaccurate for that use.

@Saxum: Could Koddy perhaps have been talking about elven bow, and not about the elves as in-game race?

Also, the fighting books you mention can be dropped by certain monsters (and not all that high level either), so unless you call that also "paying a fee"...

No idea if he mean Elven not Elves.

I am talking about players who choose to be gnomes, etc paying a fee. The difference is those players cannot have their opponents read a book and get more criticals when attacking them.