Eternal Lands Official Forums
CherUT

Ranging fix

I had a conversation with Radu today about ranging and mobs fleeing if someone is ranging too far away

We have all experienced this whether in invance, instance or invasion where that one ranger is just a little too far away and the mob flees the tank.

This causing the person in the path to be attacked. I have seen many players die due to this happening. They are trying to help and get killed in the process.

Players get upset at new rangers who don't understand that being too far away will make the mob flee. Thus making them unwelcome members of a team.

The only one who benefits of a mob fleeing from the tank is to someone who is trying to serp.
Radu is willing to fix this so the mob wont flee when ranged from too far away but would like to hear what you all think about this.

Hi :hiya:

I have to say that this has been a puzzle to me for a long time. I mean, if a tank is fighting it why on earth would a mob flee then attack the person who is ranging from too far away?

Not only does it make no sense at all, it is annoying as hell. Both for the team who have to quickly re-adjust what they are doing in order to continue fighting but also for the (normally pretty new) ranger (who refuses to listen to what they are being told) who inevitably dies. And yes, it would put any newer player off of participating in an invasion again.

The ONLY benefit to this 'feature' is if you are the type of scumbag who is trying to pull the mob from the tank so you can steal the drops. Cos you're probably too weak to work said mob &/or isn't playing as part of a team cos of being a scumbag shunned by people who like being in a team. Or possibly mentally deficient and/or morally corrupt. Or all of these things.

In all honesty I thought this 'feature' was intentional because it makes no sense to have it & I genuinely thought that if this were not the intention it would have been fixed long ago. Shows what I know...

So yes - please, PLEASE fix this nonsense so that the mob being tanked can not be pulled (unintentionally or cos a scumbag is on the rob) away from those who are actually putting in the effort and so actually do deserve the drop(s) from said mob.

Thanks.

:medieval:

I have had my ranging alt killed because of this "feature." I've learned to step in "too close" then take a step back. Works like a charm. Just new rangers don't know this.

I am all for fixing anything that needs fixing. Just sometimes the fix isn't exactly what we asked for. :P

Having your ranging alt killed is not a problem, that's how it was designed. But if there is enough consensus, I can make it not attack rangers when the mob is already engaged in combat.

I would agree that the current implementation makes no sense. The farther away you are, the LESS likely it would be for the monster to "see" you and attack. If anything, being too close could draw him off, but not being farther away.

Edited by bkc56

Well it helps while taking little blue dragons and giants off you while doing casty/ bricker and we wont have serpers and enemies if its fixed, New players wont need to learn it as their wont be much left to learn, so it will be boring.

But then again i would back up cherut and vote it to be fixed

<3 cher

As much as i would like this change, for my own benefit so people can't range mobs off me or my friends that im fighting with, I don't approve of this change. Being the #1 ranger in the game, and a serper from time to time, there would be no counterplay to trying to serp someone.

Now if there was another mechanic that would make the mob vulnerable to being serped, i wouldn't mind if this range fix got fixed, although i can't think of a mechanic off the top of my head that would do that.

I would suggest, to make both parties happy is to make a perk say 5 pickpoints like the rest of the ranging perks, that adds say +15 damage and if you are further than 5 steps, the mob has a chance to flee like it does now. The more damage added, the lower chance there is to being serped, since the mob will be damaged more quickly. Thatway if anyone does want to make other people's lives miserable, they need to atleast throw 8.75m into the game, so they can suffer a bit too :)

During my time playing EL, I spent a great deal of time honing and leveling my ranging skills. While I do see some benefit to not making any changes to the way things are, I must say imo the benefits outway the drawbacks. For instance, in invances if a ranger is standing too far away, there is a chance that mob will turn in the direction of the distant attack. I am not sure how the mobs are programmed to attack, but I have seen them go to the closest player and have also seen them go to the lowest a/d player. A good ranger can help to kill a mob quickly thus reducing the amount of supplies the fighters need to use. Another benefit during an invance is the ability for a low a/d ranger to range mobs from the wall without pulling said mob to the gate during the beginning onslaught.

Finally, swords/axes are meant to be used in melee combat, bows and arrows are designed to be used from a distance.

In the spirit of promoting teamwork, please change this.

Thank you

momr

Funny thing is, this change not being suggested to only prevent serpers and people to get serped obviously, but make fair play for everybody and promote the teamwork aswell like Momr have spoken, less people getting anger, feeling stimulated to continue playing with good feelings and community spirit.

Not good when you do hard work while some1 spreading you to shot some arrows in the end and get whole team effort lost.

Edited by Locuas

I would agree that the current implementation makes no sense. The farther away you are, the LESS likely it would be for the monster to "see" you can attack. If anything, being too close could draw him off, but not being farther away.

+1

I would agree that the current implementation makes no sense. The farther away you are, the LESS likely it would be for the monster to "see" you can attack. If anything, being too close could draw him off, but not being farther away.

+1

+1

I dont mind the flee effect too much.. the anoying part is that the the difference between beeing too close for ranging and too far for making the mob flee. Its like 2 steps. So sometimes it takes longer to get into right position than killing the mob.

I have an alt that's going (or attempting) full ranger. Maxing perception, most of the perks, low a/d, full AP, the whole shebang.

I'm still in the learning process of how to play such a character, and it's can be quite difficult (as others have said) to actually find the goldilocks zone of far enough away to shoot but close enough to not have mob flee.

On the other hand, as range level and range stats increase, you have better accuracy from further away. Seemingly encouraging players to shoot things from further away.

Removing the flee-rule would remove the contradiction and also make the ranger 'class' a bit easier to play.

+1 please change.