Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Android client, 6th release

With these changes, the client is almost feature complete. The only thing that doesn't work now is trading from storage and the reflections, and a few other bugs, but nothing serious. All the menus are properly resized and the game is 100% playable.

The next versions will focus on bug fixes, optimizations, and improving the UI even further.

So here is the list of changes:

Now the achievements window should work properly.

Added a new setting, under Video, to use 32bpp textures (slower, but looks nicer).
The buddy window works now (left swipe on a name to edit/delete).
Now you can edit the items quantity. Just click on a selected category to edit. Press enter when done.
The back key brings up the keyboard, if there are no windows to close.
The channel selection bar (in console) is resized properly now.
The chat is no longer logged (waste of time, since you need root access to access the files anyway).
The settings, counters, etc. are saved when the app is put in the background.
The quest log menu is resized properly (done by bluap).
The minimap is back (not that I find it very useful, but at least a person really wanted it). To switch it on and off, click on the upper right corner. At the very corner.

Download: http://www.eternal-lands.com/SDLActivity-debug.apk

Emotes do not look like they work.

The keyboard being opened by the back key is an issue since you can not do chat screen that way. I would hope the chat screen text box would be positioned right and open up the keyboard.

The graphics are lovely, but I have no idea how to rotate the camera, zoom in/out or anything else than move. Camera follow mode helps with that.

I get some occasional messages about EL not responding.

The back key sometimes opens the keyboard and then immediately closes it. It seems that when that happens, I have to hold the back key to keep it open.

How do you turn your character or safestep?

Edited by nathanstenzel

Emotes work, but as on the desktop client, you need to doubleclick

The keyboard in console is opened in a different way, by swiping left

Blue bars for rotating the camera, pinch to zoom (works better is one finger is on a blue bar)

When do you get those messages? What are you doing? What phone/tablet do you have?

Yes, I noticed the back key problem, will look more at it

You don't

I believe I was in TG storage when I got the messages. It was around when I was trying to get the keyboard up. It was crowded. It corrected itself easily enough.

I have a $40 Digiland tablet with a 7" screen that is 1024x600 from Wal-Mart.

Instructions on the login screen or the help screen would help users use the android client.

About the chat window: The text box is above the keyboard by a bit. That might be okay. The text should be moved up to above the text box.

Thanks for the tips.

We can't have text move above the keyboard, because there is no easy way to tell where the keyboard is, or its size. So it's just guesswork.

As for the crashes, I think it's because of your tablet. Very cheap tablets are known for causing crashes. I didn't hear of crashes on other devices yet.

If you switch to another android app to check an incoming email or something, the client stops and will lag out if you take too long. Any chance of preventing that? It would be nice if the game was still running minus the graphics when the EL client is not the active client.

The SDL logo shows instead of the EL logo in the app drawer.

I repost here what I previously send as a private message, edited for better understanding and also answering Radu's reply to it.

Me:
"I'm testing this Android client on a Sansung Galaxy Tab A model T550.

It's the second best client I have tried but I have an issue, Samsung's coutesy, than perhaps you can help to solve.

You have choose to rotate the screen 90ª clockwise for a proper lanscape view. I'm right hand dominant so I grab the tablet with my left hand, over the normal tablet top, right were the antennas are and probably the til sensor too. This cause that at certain angles the screen shut off. I have set the table to no change the screen orientation based on the til sensor but it happen anyway.

On other games I play on lanscape 90º counterclockwise to avoid tha problem succesfully (I grab the tablet by the side were are not antennas). Can you make the landscape mode be based on the til sensor or on a setting switch in graphics settings pannel?
"

Answering Radu's "... and please explain the situation more in depth. For example, is the screen rotation changing while playing the game? And why does the screen go dark? The proximity sensor should
only work during phone calls, no?
":

1) No the screen rotation keep like you set it. The tablet change of position as I move.
2) Since yesterday I have done research on the sensors of this tablet. Droid Info app say it has 4 sensors, beside cam and mic:
- CM 3323 Light sensor. I can put finger over it and the front camera and the screen don't shut off
- Screen orientation sensor. I can rotate the tablet between landscape and portrait orientation and the screen don't shut off either.
- K2HH accelerometer. It's part of the problem, rather small variation on y axe (of landscape orientation) shut off the screen.
- SX9500 "grip sensor for wifi". As I say I'm handling the table mostly on the left side (on landscape orientation) so...

Last night I also notice temperaure of the tablet also has some impact on this anomalous behaviour. In the 15 minutes after I turn on the tablet and play the game it work fine, after that time the screen start to shut off. This morning I check droid info app and see tsens_tz_sensor0 has reached 40ºC (there ae more temp sensors, being this the hotter one).

I think it's a tablet desing issue.

Thanks a lot for this game and your time reading this reply :)

Edited by Tanamisu

Tested it on my small phone with Android KitKat (4.4.2) and external bluetooth keyboard. As icons are too small, the full keyboard managment would be nice. At least arrow keys and Alt+x work ! :D Surprising, almost all keys are working (to write text messages) except the space key. Both with internal keyboard program, and with the external one. Also, trying to press keys "lang" or "keybord icon" (I don't know, what name it has) - it completly disables the letter input (some symbols could be written though). The repeat press changes nothing. BTW, the fps in PL is nice (isomeric mode).

Hmmm...while it does not handle landscape mode as gracefully as the Crunchyroll app, I think I found out something useful about how it handles landscape mode. Make sure EL is not the active app, turn on autorotate, hold the tablet in landscape mode with the jacks/antennas in the left or right side according to preference, bring up the EL app and then turn on landscape mode if you want. Repeat if necessary. I hope that helps.

That's strange. So you mean you can't type normal sentences because the space key is not working?

Did you have any windows open on screen? Did you try in console mode?

Hmmm...while it does not handle landscape mode as gracefully as the Crunchyroll app, I think I found out something useful about how it handles landscape mode. Make sure EL is not the active app, turn on autorotate, hold the tablet in landscape mode with the jacks/antennas in the left or right side according to preference, bring up the EL app and then turn on landscape mode if you want. Repeat if necessary. I hope that helps.

Why exactly isn't it handling the landscape mode gracefully? What problems have you found with it related to the landscape mode?

That's strange. So you mean you can't type normal sentences because the space key is not working?

Did you have any windows open on screen? Did you try in console mode?

i had a same problem using pixel c tab keyboard , space bar not work with el client, i off to work in a min but will try again tonight

Why exactly isn't it handling the landscape mode gracefully? What problems have you found with it related to the landscape mode?

Whenever you rotate the screen in CrunchyRoll (that is an anime viewing app), if it detects that the render is upside down, it will rotate the render 180° so that it is right side up. The EL app does not have that ability and seems to be based on what was "up" for the home screen when the EL app was last made the active app.

On a side note, I did not try first person mode yet, but it would be cool if the tablet gyro sensor determined where the camera was aiming.

Downloaded the latest 6th client, same as before, the bluetooth keyboard which is pixel c folio genuine one has no working space bar, in either game play or consol screen, the virtual keyboard works fine.

thank you for adding a mini map option, much appreciated.

If possible could the player and mob dots on mini map be made twice as big? also anyone elso using the mini map, would you like the same? just asking for feed back so Radu knows if many are using it

What are the two shaded boxes at the ledt edge of the screen?

Adjusting the camera angle. Swipe in the boxes to make adjustments.

After using a teleporter in DP, I tried to map walk. It refused. Maybe it did not record its new coordinates so the near walk command failed. After a few attemps and switching between render mode and map mode, I could not get into render mode. I could only use chat and map mode. Of course, I lagged out when making this post and then it had me relog which was unusual because it usually just reconnects after grue.

Whenever you rotate the screen in CrunchyRoll (that is an anime viewing app), if it detects that the render is upside down, it will rotate the render 180° so that it is right side up. The EL app does not have that ability and seems to be based on what was "up" for the home screen when the EL app was last made the active app.

On a side note, I did not try first person mode yet, but it would be cool if the tablet gyro sensor determined where the camera was aiming.

Oh, so you mean no auto-rotation. Yes, unfortunately it is not easy to implement that, and it's not a priority right now. Once everything is done, I MIGHT take a look at it, but probably it will be too much work to be worth the effort.

After using a teleporter in DP, I tried to map walk. It refused. Maybe it did not record its new coordinates so the near walk command failed. After a few attemps and switching between render mode and map mode, I could not get into render mode. I could only use chat and map mode. Of course, I lagged out when making this post and then it had me relog which was unusual because it usually just reconnects after grue.

The first part, I think it happened to me too once, but after I made some changes which I had to revert (although it might not be related to that thing). The second part is normal, especially on a very cheap device with limited memory. It doesn't have enough memory for both EL, the web browser, and whatever other apps you have running in the background, so some apps need to be terminated.

You can not type messages when the store or mix windows are open. I believe that is due to search features on those windows.