Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

'Real' 3D EL views (VR)

Now that we have an Android client working (not yet complete but good enough), there is something that has been on the back of my mind for a while.

With "Google Cardboard" (google it if you don't know what that is), and a good phone (preferably 5-5.5" high res screen) we can have a 'real' way of viewing 3D scenes in the client.

While we can't have a playable VR client (phones are too slow, can't control your char properly, motion sickness, etc.) we can have a gallery of predefined locations that you can see with your VR headset. So I've been thinking to start working at such a project, which will be integrated in the Android client.

Of course, this will take some time to develop, probably at least a few weeks, during which time I won't do much else. But I believe it would be pretty fun, and a bit of a novelty item that can help recruit more payers.

So what do you think about it? Do you think it's something working at? Are you personally interested in viewing STATIC scenes of EL in VR?

As I have the glasses, of course I'd love to see and test an EL 3D view.

But my best opinion is, having some scenes will motivate people to visit one, or even a bit more times, and then stop using it.

To really motivate people to visit the 3D EL ther should be some activity that can only be achieved there, and that offers some reward.

Thi can be something like harvest a special stuff (omg, alternative hydro??? just kidding!), an instant lottery with random prizes given for those who cross a path, or step somewhere, get a special dayly from a NPC that can be viewed only with 3D, etc.

Iam waiting for further developments with awe :D

While it would be fun to look at static scenes, briefly, I don't think it would have long-term value. At least not enough to justify the effort to implement it. Personally, I'm not sure I'd go through the effort to get one of the Android phones in the household working with Cardboard to try this.

What would have value, as a novelty, would be a stripped-down client that work in VR where perhaps the only thing you could do is walk around and look around. I don't know how you'd solve even those simple control issue (how to walk, how to stop, how to "touch" a door or boat to switch maps), but to be able to walk around maps and look at the sky or forests would be really cool (even if you were limited to just one large map like WhitesStone, press the phone button to toggle walking).

Just imagine WS with a couple dozen randomly generated VR characters, controlled by people on their phones, walking around looking at stuff. They'd be a little bit like the unicorn. We couldn't interact with them, but we could walk up and trigger emotes. o/

Would either draw in new players? I don't believe static scenes would. A very basic working VR client might because they could experience an aspect of the game that might motivate them to download the full version and give it a try.

Edit--

From the PoV of a game designer working on a fun project, I think a stripped-down demo VR client would be a ton more interesting and fun to develop than a library of static game images. But that's the software engineer side of me talking without regard for the complexity of the project.

Edited by bkc56

Unfortunately, a VR client can't be done, because of two reasons:

1. You'd need a device that can render the scene TWICE at 60fps. Very few maps would work well in it.

2. Having the character moving while you sit usually creates pretty bad motion sickness.

I think it would only have novelty/publicity value, no value at all for game play.

Using VR scenes for publicity has one danger: potential players might expect VR in actual game play, and drop the game

as soon as they realise that that's not the case. And those players will not give a positive feedback.

And we know that adding a big warning (as in 50pt red bold script, 10 times repeated) is not enough.

And tbh, your remark "Of course, this will take some time to develop, probably at least a few weeks, during which time I won't do much else." worries me a bit:

The main server seems to be a bit ignored lately (at least a regular restart would be nice given the timer bug, and I realise getting rid of the bug is going to be complicated/long). Adding new stuff, improving/tweaking what's in place, etc. will have to wait that much longer.

And the Android client also seems to need polishing (if the aim is to attract new players I'm not sure "good enough" is going to cut it)...

It may attract a few VR fans to try your game but likely not as much as a finished regular Android client will.

Ultimately though, if this is something you wish to do as a learning experience, I would say go for it anyway :)

Revi:

There will be no place for people to leave positive feedback. I will state it very clearly that the game is NOT VR, only offers a gallery of VR views. If 100 people download the app to see the VR views, there is a small chance they will also get to try the game. And if they like the game, we got a new player. Offering a VR mode allows me to 'spam' the EL client on more forums that might not be interested in games.

As for the server, there is only so much I can do, since I've been working at it for like 14 years now. Most MMOs don't have server updates as often as we did anyway. I think now the focus is to try to bring more people, since that would be better for everyone than just a few tweaks on the server. That being said, is not like I won't do other server things, it's just that it's not the priority at this time.

Hussam: It's not a either/or thing, I actually want to have a well finished Android client, AND a VR mode.

I guess radu bored to hear people saying "game is dead...more bots then players etc.." and now hes focusing in bring new people to the game aswell, and that VR thing will work like an bait to lure em, to try desk client and stay active playing and enjoy...

Thumbs up for all effort spent at the moment sir :icon13:

P.s. I changed my mind about this theme because we need to carry a good feeling about the game at all, not just our own, like i setted before ingame.

Edited by Locuas