Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Android client, 3rd release

This latest release of the Android client is a big improvement, making the game almost fully playable.

YOU MUST UNINSTALL THE OLD VERSION, OR CLEAR ALL THE APP DATA. FAILING TO DO SO WILL CAUSE SOME PROBLEMS

Here is a list of changes:

Emotes are now working

The stats bars are now scaled properly, and they are where they should be
The chat tabs bar is gone from the main game view. It's still in the console though
Removed the HUD indicators (the letters by the compass)
New, high res font
Removed a few icons that don't make much sense on small screens
The bottom icons are bigger
Quick spell icons
Compass and clock made bigger, edges are transparent
Fixed (at least on my tablet) the problem where if you pressed the power off button during the game the screen would go black. It needs more testing though.
Now it should work on Android 4.0.x as well
It should also work on Tegra devices (such as Nexus 2012)
Char creation works now (but still needs a few improvements)
Changed the scaling for resolutions <=1280 a bit

http://www.eternal-lands.com/SDLActivity-debug.apk

Entropy created a test-package modifying the android:minSdkVersion property lower, and it now installs on my Android 3.1 tablet. Don't forget to make that a permanent change in the build. :icon13:

So I've got this test build running now. I have old hardware, so even with most of the GFX tab effects disabled, I'm generally only running around 18 fps (this was in Tars). But as long as I'm not fighting/training that should be fine.

I do get some graphical anomalies when I reduce the Camera/Perspective option. On my computer I run at 0.05, although I can't run that low on the tablet due to the problems. But that's not a huge deal, and I doubt most people turn it down like that (it's kind of a throw-back to the way EL looked years ago before the extended camera and all was added).

Using it on my Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 with a fresh character. Looks good.

Character selection went well, except that I couldnt see the color of the eyes (same problem with regular client on a small screen).

It looked like the blue bars werent there right after char creation, but they did appear a little later.

Some of the newbie hints make no sense for an android char :P

Would be nice to have a Screenshot button (camera?).

I had forgotten how annoying it is to hunt rabbits ;)

It is really nice that you can now do your dailies on a tablet or phone \o/

Yes, I know, I have to change the tutorial and the welcome thing if the user is on a mobile device.

I have a few ideas though. I want to have a book with instructions open for the first time you do some things, such as opening the console, the magic window, inventory, etc.

Nice idea to have something happen when you do something for the first time. I have taken a fresh look at the tutorial and had some similar ideas. I will post some suggestions in a separate thread.

I do have some comments and suggestions about this release:

• quest log text does not properly fit windows
  • I expect the 'back' button to close the dialog screen (as the x does).
  • WHERE IS THE MINIMAP! I find it very annoying to play without it. In my opinion this is an essential part of the client. I cannot play any of my regular chars without it.
  • can we get a screen shot and #beam me button? I would like to write a Android manual but cannot take screenshots on my old OS. Newer ones seem to have the option built in.
  • please make the cursor on the map (red and blue x) a bit thicker, it is hard to see now
  • When getting armor from storage I cannot put it on until I close the storage window
  • A lot of items in the 'options' window dont work. Having them listed is confusing.
  • How to see storage content? (rightclick bag icon on PC doesnt work on Android)
  • Char and window context menus are inaccessible, some of that functionality can be done in settings, but not all :(
  • transparent icon bar hides part of the map, exits in the south cannot be reached

Maxine, this is not a finished client. A lot of things do not work yet. The minimap is too small to be useful, and if you make it larger it will cover too much of the screen. But I guess I can make an option somewhere in the config settings to turn it on or off.

Maxine, this is not a finished client. A lot of things do not work yet. The minimap is too small to be useful, and if you make it larger it will cover too much of the screen. But I guess I can make an option somewhere in the config settings to turn it on or off.

ty, that would be very helpful. The screen on my 10 inch tablet is larger that the window I use for things like pear and joker hunting, the latter is pretty hard w/o minimap