Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nessa

Defining [use_areas]

I read somewhere that [use_areas] should not overlap (same as the others but I get the others :P). Does that mean that in a small room with more than 1 door you have to split the space to get one area for each of them?

I thought they were meant to define where you have to be in order to use an object but it doesn't seem to work like that ingame.

Example 1: In PL sto you can use the doors from across the room - if there were 2 areas wouldn't I be told I was too far to access the one farther away as I'd be outside its area?

Example 2: In IP I can access/use stuff from a bezillion paces away but the DEF sample posted here on the forum says the average use_area in IP is (or use to be) about 11x16.

Totally not getting this. XD

I don't see any issues with multiple overlapping use areas as long as they are for using a different map object. The map object you need to use helps tell the two apart.

On the other hand, multiple use areas for the same object (overlapping or not) can act in unexpected fashions depending on the order listed and if the player is standing inside of one or more areas or not.

As Learner said, for different objects they can overlap. When an object gets used, only the info provided for that specific object is looked at.

An object that gets used more than once (for example clicking an item moves you to the other side of it, and vice-versa) should NOT have overlapping areas, as the server will only use one of them.

Distance from the object is a server thing, but it does have a "can you reach it?" type check of some sort.

As for size of the use_area, a 3-4 tile square directly at the object (i.e. directly in front of a door) is good enough. Smaller if for example a door at the top of a 2-tile-across stairs, with discretion. Even a 2x2 area inside a small building (like PL storage) is fine.

I have been using a 2x4 rectangular area in front of doors with no issues (4 covering from one side of the door to another, and 2 paces away). You don't want it to be too large as that leads to people *poofing* from too far away from the object.

XX

XXO

XXO

XX

X's being the use_area walkable tiles, and O's representing a door that is two tiles wide.

For a door, for example:

If a player is directly in a use_area for it, they'll automatically go through the door without any pre-movement.
If a person is X steps away from the use_area, they'll walk towards the item first, action is taken after they walk onto the use_area space.

(X = not quite sure, it's determined by the server.)

It's important of course that the use_area covers tiles that are walkable by a player... the area under a door for example, where the player shouldn't be able to step, is of no use in a use_area. Non-walk spots can be in the square area, but walkable tiles must exist and be reachable by the player.

If a use_area only covers unwalkable tiles, it won't work even if the player is only one tile away. (I fixed a broken door like this with the last client update, in the secret "color room" in IotF where there's 4 doors on stairs but only 3 worked. The use_area was only marked directly under the door where you couldn't step.)

Edited by Burn

Another hint is to keep the center of the use_area close or just in front of the item being clicked on. This helps when you are too far away from a door or a flag since the center of the use_area is then used as a possible destination to walk to until you teleport. In the past there have been cases where the senter was in a strange location and you actually seemed to walk away from form the object you clicked on..

Hehe yeah, fixed a few of those too. The AA boat in Glacmor would sometimes have you walking south into the woods depending on where you were when clicking it. Had a *huge* use_area attached to it that went that far down, now just a square of tiles on the boat itself.

You don't want it to be too large as that leads to people *poofing* from too far away from the object.

Ah! Now *that* makes sense for this area's role.

Thanks, guys, all your info was enlightning. :)

Oh, btw, as long as I'm here...

The attributes on a ranging arena would be just (multi?)combat + no spellcasting or is there something more to it (I can't seem to find rangers who have tried kicking each other in GP to see what happened ^^)?

EDIT - Forgot I meant to ask this... What's the difference between type 0 and type 1 teleport_point?

Edited by Nessa

- Multi would be appropriate if just to ensure there's no issues. Though I'm not sure what would be the issue if just ranging. I never did anything with combat type in current arenas, they just use the same as the map they're on.

- The spell block is solely to prevent tele-to-range into an arena without using a ticket. If that's not an issue, it's not necessary.

The Irsis arena for example, you can't do spells in the entrance hall area, but inside the arena (past the ticket gate) spells may be done.

- Teleport 0 = nothing gets shown to indicate it's a teleport point

Teleport 1 = the star pad on the ground + the beam of light going straight up (like the WS teleport spots)

0 would be a spot where the person teleports when they step on it, but there's no visible light or pad. Examples: Three are found on Isla Prima... the two small boats where you walk onto them and teleport to the other, one being near the Tutorial NPC, and as well a third considered secret which goes to the spider cave (how IP animals end up getting stuck in there).

0 usage can be found almost exclusively in secrets (with the boat example exception), though it's not limited to that usage.

(If this is something for the official game and not a guild map (which can't have ranging arenas), btw, I should be informed. Ace is still technically the map king, but he's been unreachable for too long. Roya would be second, but she's not really working on anything, just approving things. I have the only copies of work for the next release.)

Teleport 1 = the star pad on the ground + the beam of light going straight up (like the WS teleport spots)

Oh, I always wondered how that was beam was done. ^^

Thanks again for all the great info. :)

*loves understading how stuf works*

Edited by Nessa