Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

EL on high DPI screens

I was recently lucky enough to get a new laptop, it has a 1920x1080 resolution, 12.5" screen. This is very nice but really needs to have DPI scaling support to make text and other items correctly proportioned. Gnome on Linux supports this nicely with a scaling value option. EL, however, has limited support for increasing font and in-game window sizes. I'm considering starting what would be a large amount of work changing the client to improve this but could live without it if I'm the only one who would benefit. So, would anyone else find better scaling support useful?

I've had to make font size and other changes in settings to make EL work with smaller window sizes on a higher resolution display (I tile my windows so I have two EL clients and a browser window all fully visible on the screen). I've made it work within the current limitations, but it would be easier to do with an improved and more comprehensive system in place. And I still have a few things I don't like and can't fix/improve with the current options available.

I'm not sure if it's worth the amount of work you imply, but you can consider this a weak 'yes' vote.

I had to adjust game fonts quite a bit on my monitore for it to be good to read on the high resolution one. One thing so if you are going to the trouble of changing the font and text system. would be, could we do it that we set our own color for our client in which way gm ig and channel text is seen? would make things a lot easier if that would be possible. (and yes i know that the text color is set right now by unicode chars.

No, the client is not using unicode in any way, it only uses 8-bit char values. The range with high bit clear

corresponds to ASCII encoding, the others are used as the developers saw fit.

For some characters with high bit set, the coders decided that those mean "please use colour X for the following text"

The actual choice of which colour to use is purely client side (see source files colors.c and colors.h);

and it looks as if one colour code corresponds to 4 possible hues (although only the first seems to be used).

So one way to implement free colour choice is making color.c load its table from an external file

(ideally using defaults if the external file is not found).

Having scaleable UI (text and pictures) please yes!

My computer's monitor is a 42" TV set on 1080p resolution... Wireless keyboard/mouse and sit on my couch. I've increased the currently scalable text (chat and such) quite a lot so that it's even readable, but all the UI numbers and text aren't scalable... I've a lot of trouble with reading stuff, this would be fantastic.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad I'm not the only one that would find this useful. I'll look into it further.