Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Barny

Setting NPC prices higher?

Hi, I play EL only from time to time, but every time I log in the prices on player market are higher. This causes that many items do not worth crafting anymore and people rather buy it from NPC as crafting from ingredients would be much more expensive. I remember times when eg. nobody would think about buying special swords like Orc Slayer (I remember price around 25kgc) or even steel bar from NPC.

What do you think about idea that NPC prices would be set higher in order to prompt players to mix more and maybe be more active on market? I am not any pro player and maybe I don't know any "background" facts or information, but I would like this to happen.

Barny :)

I support your idea. NPC prices are good for limiting the price of every item ingame, but items from NPC that cost less than the ings for mixing them is bad for EL and the players. The NPC prices should not be fixed but changing according the changes in the ings' prices. Or maybe some important ings like Enriched essences, bindings, stone serpents, etc should be sold in the NPCs too.

It's a bad idea

Items that cost less than the ings for mixing them are for the most part items that require a lot of rare stones/bars to mix them, i.e. steel, titanium, bronze armor. These are considered "basic armor", that is required to enter an invance ( as per rule 2b this is true for all but the lowest level invance iirc ).

These armors offer a rare bonus for those that mix them: the rare counterpart of said armor, which is usually worth 300k-1M gcs. If you would turned a profit for every mix, the incentive to try for the rare counterparts would rise. Given the aggressive advertising and pricing some players use, and the way they control the market this would just lead to even more profit for them.

Given the trends, the prices on these items would skyrocket, making it harder to buy a decent set of armor/col/weapons. That would leave the less loaded people with even less gc, which i suspect would reduce in-game rostogol-gc trades, decreasing the number of rostos lost.

Orc slayer used to be 20k because 8 years ago stones found while harvesting were considered 'free' items so turning them into an orc slayer (with the chance of a special sword) was not considered a financial loss. Unfortunately, this changed for various reasons (rarity of bindings, large game dynamics shifts, etc...).

Even if you increase NPC prices, ingredient prices will just catch up and pass them again. This happened when Apala's Dorel task reward was increased. It is not a long term solution.

If you really want to "solve" the problem, fix the reasons why ingredient prices are high.

But I would say keep things as they are. It is not a perfect system but forcing a real MMORPG ladder at this stage may be too pervasive.

It's a bad idea

Items that cost less than the ings for mixing them are for the most part items that require a lot of rare stones/bars to mix them, i.e. steel, titanium, bronze armor. These are considered "basic armor", that is required to enter an invance ( as per rule 2b this is true for all but the lowest level invance iirc ).

These armors offer a rare bonus for those that mix them: the rare counterpart of said armor, which is usually worth 300k-1M gcs. If you would turned a profit for every mix, the incentive to try for the rare counterparts would rise. Given the aggressive advertising and pricing some players use, and the way they control the market this would just lead to even more profit for them.

Given the trends, the prices on these items would skyrocket, making it harder to buy a decent set of armor/col/weapons. That would leave the less loaded people with even less gc, which i suspect would reduce in-game rostogol-gc trades, decreasing the number of rostos lost.

+1

The profiteers and gold coin sellers in this game already have ruined some aspects of this game already. NPC's provide a cap prices. The high price of stones for mixing has given little incentive for mixers to stay. The really good mixers have mostly quit.

It's a bad idea

You are wrong. If making weapons (from titanium/steel long sword to jagged saber) and armors (steel, titanium, bronze) were profitable, several mixers would make them so => many weapons and armors in the market and bots so => prices would drop because too much offer and low demand. The market would self-regulate itself.

With the actual NPC prices, many manu items are not profitable to mix and there is a gap between Iron armors and dragon armors: the manu items between are not profitable to mix. What will do a newbie manufacturer for grinding the skill? Mixing millions of leather helms in the school? :bangwall: Now mixing s2es is not an option because harvesting hydro is very difficult because Stivy and friends

Edited by Susje

It's a bad idea

You are wrong. If making weapons (from titanium/steel long sword to jagged saber) and armors (steel, titanium, bronze) were profitable, several mixers would make them so => many weapons and armors in the market and bots so => prices would drop because too much offer and low demand. The market would self-regulate itself.

With the actual NPC prices, many manu items are not profitable to mix and there is a gap between Iron armors and dragon armors: the manu items between are not profitable to mix. What will do a newbie manufacturer for grinding the skill? Mixing millions of leather helms in the school? :bangwall: Now mixing s2es is not an option because harvesting hydro is very difficult because Stivy and friends

I couldn't agree more. That's what I was trying to say. What's the point of leveling manu if you can acutally use it only for s2es and maybe after long time for dragon armor?
About the "rare bonus" Rosabel talked about... I don't believe it would happen. It's just the law of supply and demand.. More people getting rare items wouldy only lead to bigger supply with more or less same demand, which would lead to price decrease.

Barny, the rare bonus happened many times. The reason steel boots used to be marginally cheaper than npc price is that people like Cherut/Rabbitman/Bankay etc... used to mix 20-50 at a time and sell the 'regular' steel boots to make up for the rares/gc used.

Susje is wrong again, mixing millions of leather helms was the way of levelling manu as long as that existed, i know Tornado/Aquarden used to do that too, and they are as old school as it gets. :) Well, maybe not in school, but selling it to trik, which is even slower :P

Edited by Rosabel

Barny, the rare bonus happened many times. The reason steel boots used to be marginally cheaper than npc price is that people like Cherut/Rabbitman/Bankay etc... used to mix 20-50 at a time and sell the 'regular' steel boots to make up for the rares/gc used.

Susje is wrong again, mixing millions of leather helms was the way of levelling manu as long as that existed, i know Tornado/Aquarden used to do that too, and they are as old school as it gets. :) Well, maybe not in school, but selling it to trik, which is even slower :P

Then at the end, you are saying we are right and you are wrong: The armors and weapons' prices wouldn't skyrocket if mixing them were profitable. It would be the opposite: the prices would go down and that would be good for all the players (mixers, fighters and even harvesters). If Cherut, Rabbitman, Bankay and another players mixed 20-50 at a time when mixing them was loosing money (just for getting a rare version of that armor/weapon), how many would be mixed if that were profitable? 100-200 at a time? With so many in the market, the price would go down fast.

You are wrong again when you say mixing leather helms is the way to reach high manufacturing levels. I've grinded myself my manu level from 0 to 118 and know well how to do it (probably better than you). Mixing leather helms could to be useful for getting some levels when you are starting, but in higher levels you need to mix better items (swords, armors) or grinding would be too slow (leather helms have 45 as base manufacturing experience).

It is one of the reasons (because of high supply they made) but also because ingredients at those days were marginally cheaper as well. And that's the biggest change compared to today. The solution should either setting NPC prices higher or as Susje said key ingredients should be sold in NPCs too.
And what's wrong with that some players used to mix in bulks with small profit (or even small loss) with belief of getting rare item. I think nothing, anybody can try to do that.

Well, yes, many items became more expensive to make than to buy from NPC. The reason: rare stones (binding, serpent) and enriched essences increased at least 2-4 fold in price. (common ingredients like sulfur or iron increased at best 25%, even FE increased only 60% since I started playing).

So why would mixing the higher level items become profitable and stay profitable if NPC prices were increased? All I can see happening is that the prices for the rare ingredients would increase again to level capped by the new NPC prices, in the mean time making it even harder for new players to get such items.

So we end up with a situation where mixing is not profitable, because ingredients are more expensive than the finished item from NPC. Which will mean we'll have to increase NPC prices again to correct for the increased market prices. That in turn...

Given the amount of free GC in game, that cycle won't take long (same as with rosto prices: some don't mind a 120k rosto, as they make more than enough in invasions, instances and invances to pay that much).

As for grinding manu for a newbie manuer: leather helms for a long time, and then S2E were the staple. Neither of these use rare ingredients.

There are some other options, but those don't use rare ingredients either. And at the moment, experience books are also an option used by several players.

Given the sheer number of items you have to make for leveling, you will never be able to grind levels with an item that needs rare ingredients anyway...

Simple exemple: try mixing emerald claymores at the rec. level of 40, you'd need to mix ~1110/6=185 of them to gain lvl 41, counting base exp. only and no losses. That is 185 binding stones and 370 wolfram bars (either NPC bought or mixed using 370 serpent stones at least). At a more realistic level 60, you'd need to mix (with full rationality and god bonus) at least (~230,676/770=) 300 claymores for one level.

(Same calculation for halberd: rec. lvl/base exp. 346,182/4200: 82 mixes, rec+20, max exp.: ~260 mixes)

The only sell price for binding stone I could see was 33 000 gc, so each claymore would have at least 63 000 gc in ingredients.

And of course, there were only 3 for sale, not 300... Same kind of situation for EFE (1, that is "one", for sale on bots), serpent stone (35 for sale), EME (11 for sale), ...

So good luck mixing anything that needs rare ingredients in order to gain levels... Of course, you can get to more reasonable numbers of mixes using schools day (3x experience).

Oh, and that famous self-regulating market only works if there are enough independent buyers AND sellers, or other factors to stop one player from controlling a key item.

Well, yes, many items became more expensive to make than to buy from NPC. The reason: rare stones (binding, serpent) and enriched essences increased at least 2-4 fold in price. (common ingredients like sulfur or iron increased at best 25%, even FE increased only 60% since I started playing).

So why would mixing the higher level items become profitable and stay profitable if NPC prices were increased? All I can see happening is that the prices for the rare ingredients would increase again to level capped by the new NPC prices, in the mean time making it even harder for new players to get such items.

So we end up with a situation where mixing is not profitable, because ingredients are more expensive than the finished item from NPC. Which will mean we'll have to increase NPC prices again to correct for the increased market prices. That in turn...

Given the amount of free GC in game, that cycle won't take long (same as with rosto prices: some don't mind a 120k rosto, as they make more than enough in invasions, instances and invances to pay that much).

As for grinding manu for a newbie manuer: leather helms for a long time, and then S2E were the staple. Neither of these use rare ingredients.

There are some other options, but those don't use rare ingredients either. And at the moment, experience books are also an option used by several players.

Given the sheer number of items you have to make for leveling, you will never be able to grind levels with an item that needs rare ingredients anyway...

Simple exemple: try mixing emerald claymores at the rec. level of 40, you'd need to mix ~1110/6=185 of them to gain lvl 41, counting base exp. only and no losses. That is 185 binding stones and 370 wolfram bars (either NPC bought or mixed using 370 serpent stones at least). At a more realistic level 60, you'd need to mix (with full rationality and god bonus) at least (~230,676/770=) 300 claymores for one level.

(Same calculation for halberd: rec. lvl/base exp. 346,182/4200: 82 mixes, rec+20, max exp.: ~260 mixes)

The only sell price for binding stone I could see was 33 000 gc, so each claymore would have at least 63 000 gc in ingredients.

And of course, there were only 3 for sale, not 300... Same kind of situation for EFE (1, that is "one", for sale on bots), serpent stone (35 for sale), EME (11 for sale), ...

So good luck mixing anything that needs rare ingredients in order to gain levels... Of course, you can get to more reasonable numbers of mixes using schools day (3x experience).

Oh, and that famous self-regulating market only works if there are enough independent buyers AND sellers, or other factors to stop one player from controlling a key item.

- It seems to me you are saying the NPC prices are bad and you know it, but nothing will be done to change that.

- Making s2es now has no sense, because only a few players risk loosing a rosto for harvesting hydro with Stivy, alts and friends camped in the hydro route. With no buyers for s2es, mixing leather is the only way for grinding manufacturing skill? Good luck reaching the recommended level for dragon armors just mixing leather helms..... :huh:

- One player can't control the market. Several ones tried it in the past without success. Only Radu can control it because he can change the % for getting bindings, serpent stones, enrichments, the % for getting an enriched essence and the prices/items bought and sold in the NPCs. If Radu wants to rise the amount of gc leaving EL when the players buy from NPCs, ok but at least sell bindings, serpents, enrichments and enriched essences in a NPC too. He's selling them in the shop, but the prices there are so expensive that I think nobody buy them from the shop for mixing armors/weapons. At least selling the rares in a NPC, the mixers could to grind the skill without creating inflation ingame.

Edited by Susje

- It seems to me you are saying the NPC prices are bad and you know it, but nothing will be done to change that.

I did NOT say that, don't put words in my mouth.

- Making s2es now has no sense, because only a few players risk loosing a rosto for harvesting hydro with Stivy, alts and friends camped in the hydro route. With no buyers for s2es, mixing leather is the only way for grinding manufacturing skill? Good luck reaching the recommended level for dragon armors just mixing leather helms..... :huh:

Again, I mentioned at least one other method for leveling. Read all of what I write, not just the bits that agree with your point of view, please.

- One player can't control the market. Several ones tried it in the past without success. Only Radu can control it because he can change the % for getting bindings, serpent stones, enrichments, the % for getting an enriched essence and the prices/items bought and sold in the NPCs. If Radu wants to rise the amount of gc leaving GC when the players buy from NPCs, ok but at least sell bindings, serpents, enrichments and enriched essences in a NPC too. He's selling them in the shop, but the prices there are so expensive that I think nobody buy them from the shop for mixing armors/weapons. At least selling the rares in a NPC, the mixers could to grind the skill without creating inflation ingame.

That's your opinion. Given the amounts of gc involved, I don't agree that mixing items requiring rare ingredients is a viable way to level any skill.

Well, if you don't want make that "turns" over and overthere must be right balance between prices and chance of getting stones/enriched essences.

My point wasn't really that you should grind your skill on more expensive item. But for me, I take those greater items as a reward for my work. At this moment I don't see why should I train manu if any items between 40-70 lvl don't pay off to make.

I don't agree. There's many players who would be able to make those 40-70 lvl items (even including myself), who could make big enough supply.

Main issue in not the price of the finished items, but the price of the ingredients. Making the finished items more expensive (raising NPC prices) will just allow greedy people to get even more for the rare ingredients. And these ingredients are very rare, way too rare these days to mix in bulk.

Main reason I see these days to level manufacturing is to get the better Daritha quests, which has nothing to do with supply and demand.

I for me have relatively recently leveled manu to the point that I could finish the manu quest (another market independent incentive) and get the best a/d dailies.

I have used leather helmets in school on manu or schools day and, when that was still profitable, making s2e-s from scratch. These s2e-s (300+) are now rusting away in storage.

A solution for this could be for radu to sell hydro-rings in the store, similarly to selling invasion tokens, though the invasion drop seems ultra rare (1/50k or more?).

I have also read a fair share of manu books. Advantage of helms (arti 2) and books is that you don't need nexus, which for a noob like me with capped o.a. is very expensive.

Manufacturing for rares is best done with an arti-cloak, which again is (very) expensive in nexus (Human 10, highest armor is human 7). This makes manufacturing as a skill to make items only available to the top rich players, or non-fighter chars.

I know mixers don't loose rostogols while they are mixing and they gain gc selling their items so I suppose Radu prefers the fighters to the mixers.... But many mixers have bots where they sell the items that mix, and pay the yearly bot fee so they support EL too. I think mixers are an important part of EL and must be supported so they can play EL as they want (mixing and creating items for another players). I think NPCs selling items is not bad, but it's not necessary to harm the mixers selling that items cheaper than the ings. If changing the prices in the NPCs is not a good idea, why not selling rare ings (bindings, serpents, enriched essies) in the NPCs for a fair price? If the price is enough low, the mixers can mix and sell the items and the price will be under NPCs' price.

I know mixers don't loose rostogols while they are mixing and they gain gc selling their items so I suppose Radu prefers the fighters to the mixers.... But many mixers have bots where they sell the items that mix, and pay the yearly bot fee so they support EL too. I think mixers are an important part of EL and must be supported so they can play EL as they want (mixing and creating items for another players). I think NPCs selling items is not bad, but it's not necessary to harm the mixers selling that items cheaper than the ings. If changing the prices in the NPCs is not a good idea, why not selling rare ings (bindings, serpents, enriched essies) in the NPCs for a fair price? If the price is enough low, the mixers can mix and sell the items and the price will be under NPCs' price.

Yes, having an NPC with fixed prices for rare items, like binding stones and enriched essences, would help mixers. Will be a challenge to figure out at what level to set these prices though.

Yes, having an NPC with fixed prices for rare items, like binding stones and enriched essences, would help mixers. Will be a challenge to figure out at what level to set these prices though.

At a level where a mixer can create the item from ings buying the rares in the NPC and the final price is under NPC's price and provide some profit too.

By the way, rising the money Zhena gives for each ring in the daily quest was a step in the right direction.... :icon13:

Edited by Susje

At a level where a mixer can create the item from ings buying the rares in the NPC and the final price is under NPC's price and provide some profit too.

At best, it should be equal to product price at NPC (10k binding + two wolfram bars = 40k sword) so final price can account for experience points and the chance for rares.

Don't forget that selling binding stones and such at NPC would remove a source of income for radu (those stones and enriched essies are still sold in the shop). And of course, if they are available from shop, they aren't exactly rare anymore.

But if you go that way, why not have the NPC also buy those items, and sell for a price such that buying the ingredients from NPC is more expensive than buying the final product (as is the case for a lot of other items). Ideally, the NPC price should also be comparable to the shop price (using a reasonable conversion $->gc).

I always considered the NPC prices like a cap to prevent excessive inflation, not as a way to make (rare) ingredients or items easily available... It used to be that NPC prices for great swords and armours were considered excessive, market was cheaper. Then some players started pumping in (lots of) dollars, and high dropping boss monsters came in game, and indeed, NPC prices worked as a ceiling.

Don't forget that selling binding stones and such at NPC would remove a source of income for radu (those stones and enriched essies are still sold in the shop). And of course, if they are available from shop, they aren't exactly rare anymore.

But if you go that way, why not have the NPC also buy those items, and sell for a price such that buying the ingredients from NPC is more expensive than buying the final product (as is the case for a lot of other items). Ideally, the NPC price should also be comparable to the shop price (using a reasonable conversion $->gc).

I always considered the NPC prices like a cap to prevent excessive inflation, not as a way to make (rare) ingredients or items easily available... It used to be that NPC prices for great swords and armours were considered excessive, market was cheaper. Then some players started pumping in (lots of) dollars, and high dropping boss monsters came in game, and indeed, NPC prices worked as a ceiling.

I doubt any player buy enriched essies, bindings, enrichments or serpent stones from the shop. Knowing the actual gc/$ rate would be very expensive.

On the other hand, If EL keeps loosing mixers (and their bots) that would remove a source of income for Radu. In this moment, there are 134 players online and 210 bots online. That bots pay 20$ as fee every year (when I started to play, the fee was 10$. The fee rised a 100

%). If mixing is not profitable, prolly they will stop paying the fee. Make calculations about the $$$ EL could to loose.

I doubt any player buy enriched essies, bindings, enrichments or serpent stones from the shop. Knowing the actual gc/$ rate would be very expensive.

On the other hand, If EL keeps loosing mixers (and their bots) that would remove a source of income for Radu. In this moment, there are 134 players online and 210 bots online. That bots pay 20$ as fee every year (when I started to play, the fee was 10$. The fee rised a 100

%). If mixing is not profitable, prolly they will stop paying the fee. Make calculations about the $$$ EL could to loose.

I USED to buy enriched essies and bindings from shop when rules changed to favor fighters and with rapid inflation I stopped; I know several other players who did same thing but they stopped as well. Adding daily manu quests which further deprive rare ingredients will not get what was intended to drive sales to shop.

It sounds pretty ironic to me when a mod blames the inflation and some players for all the things are working bad in EL. Radu controls the "water tap": he controls the % rate a rare item is dropped when you are harvesting/mining or the % rate you get an enriched essence or rare item when you are mixing. Then if he controls that, he can control the inflation in EL. If there is too much inflation in a specific rare item, he can change the % so that item is more common and less scarce and inflation ends.

Of course If Radu doesn't want inflation..... If he wants to sell more rare items in the shop, probably inflation is good for the sales.

Edited by Susje

It sounds pretty ironic to me when a mod blames the inflation and some players for all the things are working bad in EL. Radu controls the "water tap": he controls the % rate a rare item is dropped when you are harvesting/mining or the % rate you get an enriched essence or rare item when you are mixing. Then if he controls that, he can control the inflation in EL. If there is too much inflation in a specific rare item, he can change the % so that item is more common and less scarce and inflation ends.

Of course If Radu don't want inflation..... If he wants to sell more rare items in the shop, probably inflation is good for the sales.

You overlook that trying to balance any controlled economy is time consuming and prone to failure.

It depends on the playstyle

I made many iron swords when those were worth only a few of the iron bars in question.

Maybe worth stop grinding and just enjoying the pace of creating items.

There is no way to balance this, except a server reset and going back a few years without those dailies and other changes.