Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

EL web client in development, anyone interested in contributing?

Grum has released his very work in progress EL client. Right now, it doesn't do much, and you can't play the game with it, but it can display maps and sort of walk around in those maps (but no proper communication with the server, besides for some tests).

If anyone is good at JS and/or WebGL, and would like to take a look, here is the link: https://github.com/gvissers/webel

Getting EL to work in a standard browser would be very nice, as this would make the game playable on Android and other OSes as well. And people would be able to try the game without downloading it, which would most likely increase our player base by quite a bit.

Some notes:

1) In js/drawscene.js - comment out line 101: sky.draw();

The sky rendering is a bugged work-in-progress, and NOTHING will render if it's not removed. (fixed)

2) It currently only shows Desert Pines, starting near the docks. That's only "showing it", you're not actually on the test server.

--- You can change the shown map in drawscene.js line 150: map = new GameMap("maps/map3.elm"); if you know what you're doing

3) Insert/Delete to move forward and backward. Not on the server so there's no creatures or characters.

Zoom in/out using page up/page down.

You can rotate the camera, as well as look up/down by using the arrow keys.

(If you have the web developer console open, pressing "p" will show your current coordinates in the console log.)

It's a very early work so doesn't look so great yet, but it's a very good start!

This is what I get from it (in Firefox, can't seem to get it to work in Chrome yet):

webel.jpg

I'm only just starting to learn WebGL, but should be able to help with "something" along the way.

(EDIT: Corrected that you can move around using ins/del )

Edited by Burn

LOL, forum'ed by radu.

Anyways, yeah, this is very much a work in progress, and unfortunately, I don't have very much time to work on it in the coming months. You can view other maps, but you'll have to edit the source code :P

Strange thing about the sky, it sort of works here. (it isn't overly pretty, but it does draw something and doesn't cause other things to fail). I'll take a look at it.

The next major thing I want to do, is actually logging in and further communication with the server, so that we can at least get a really expensive chat client going :D

Without it commented:

sky1.png

Followed by a lot of:

sky2.png

Leaving nothing but a black box for a canvas.

(Using the versions of external javascripts you noted to use in the readme, if that's relevant.)

ADD:

PHP Fatal error: Cannot use object of type DOMNodeList as array in /srv/www/htdocs/webel/getsky.php on line 26

^ My server's error log is full of these.

Edited by Burn

Grum fixed the sky issue (grab the updated getsky.php file from git, and decomment the sky.draw(); line in drawscene.js if you did that per my above post).

Getting EL to work in a standard browser would be very nice, as this would make the game playable on Android and other OSes as well. And people would be able to try the game without downloading it, which would most likely increase our player base by quite a bit.

Great news! +1 fot the browser client. Im' really looking forward to it. Good luck to all of dev-team!

you guys do awesome work, will be wonderful to have EL on android and playable on my tablet.

There has been an Android client for years: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59968

I have been using it on my tablet. Not bug free, but you can go to all maps, mix, harvest, eat, use pots and rings etc. No spells, no fighting but excellent to stay in touch while on the road or do some harving.

Two quick remarks (I haven't had the occasion to use it yet, I would have to install Apache + PHP first):

- The README suggests installing a websocket proxy and modifying startproxy.sh to use the local proxy.

But the javascript code has a hardcoded link to the Dutch proxy (in "drawscene.js", function webGLStart() )

- How much bandwith would a final version use?

All the textures and such would have to be sent, and that's several MB for the full data set.

Two quick remarks (I haven't had the occasion to use it yet, I would have to install Apache + PHP first):

- The README suggests installing a websocket proxy and modifying startproxy.sh to use the local proxy.

But the javascript code has a hardcoded link to the Dutch proxy (in "drawscene.js", function webGLStart() )

- How much bandwith would a final version use?

All the textures and such would have to be sent, and that's several MB for the full data set.

Yeah, I'll fix the code to use the server from whence it came instead of hardcoding my own private domain :) [EDIT: done]

Bandwidth might become a problem, indeed. It should really be used with browser caching enabled, or Radu might face a hefty internet bill at the end of the month.

BTW, thanks everyone, even for simply eyeballing the code. Even though I cannot promise to work much on this project for the time being, I very much value your input and bug reports.

Edited by Grum

you guys do awesome work, will be wonderful to have EL on android and playable on my tablet.

There has been an Android client for years: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59968

I have been using it on my tablet. Not bug free, but you can go to all maps, mix, harvest, eat, use pots and rings etc. No spells, no fighting but excellent to stay in touch while on the road or do some harving.

cool :) does it work on the pk server tho, cos that's where I play, would I just have to change the properties like I did to access the pk server?

cool :) does it work on the pk server tho, cos that's where I play, would I just have to change the properties like I did to access the pk server?

You cannot fight on this client, and it is configured for main server. I dont know if a version can be compiled for pk-server. I have not seen any configurable options for the current Android client.

I wonder if this proposed web-client will work on the pk-server.

Edited by Maxine

You cannot fight on this client, and it is configured for main server. I dont know if a version can be compiled for pk-server. I have not seen any configurable options for the current Android client.

I wonder if this proposed web-client will work on the pk-server.

Very easily added option for the web client, though not until it's fully functional and hosted on the server itself.

Though with working code and running the proxy on a home server, you could set the proxy up to attach to the pk server. I'd imagine radu's permission would be needed, the current code shouldn't be used on anything but Test. Not that it can do anything yet anyway, heh.

Both Grum and I seriously question the use of this web client on a phone/tablet. (Try and picture doing everything you normally do with nothing but a small screen and large fingers, no mouse or keyboard.) Functionality will probably be very limited in comparison to standard computer use.*

*(I'd imagine)

Edited by Burn

Bandwidth might become a problem, indeed. It should really be used with browser caching enabled, or Radu might face a hefty internet bill at the end of the month.

BTW, thanks everyone, even for simply eyeballing the code. Even though I cannot promise to work much on this project for the time being, I very much value your input and bug reports.

We have unmetered bandwidth, so it shouldn't be a problem :)

Very interesting project. I've been doing quite a bit of javascript recently, though I'm still mostly learning. If there were a list of features that folks could work on, I'd be happy to contribute.