Eternal Lands Official Forums
Angelus_Mortis

New Mage Spell Ideas.

Greetings Radu,

Here are my ideas per our conversation.

1 Lightning Bolt the Mage fires a bolt of Lightning from kiss hands to the target.

2 Of course Fireball the Mage fires a ball of fire from his hands to the target.

3 Ice Bolt the Mage fires a bolt of ice from his hands to the target.

The purpose of the spells is to add some more fun to the Mage class as well as some range like support abilities or attack power.

Most importantly not to out do the fighter class but to make the Mage more fun to play and to make it more even with the fighter.

I would like the spells to increase damage with your level. All that I'll leave up to the development teams.

Ok that's it. I like hear everyone's comments to bring this to life.

Not sure why this keeps popping up as if it is a new suggestion.

A very quick search gave the following list of similar topics which all include the ideas listed above. They have not been implemented in the past 10y, is that going to be different now?

Apart from this being an old old suggestion, I also do not see the need to make the OP mage even more powerful. The only scenario I can see where these spells make sense is if monsters have different defenses again different elements, but as far as I know there is no difference between Ice, fire and lightning damage.
Edited by Maxine

Greetings puma.

Thanks for your reply but my ideas were not ment to make the Mage OP just to make him more versatile and more fun to play. IMO there is no Mage that can stand alone without having the fighter skills attached. In other words this is a fighter first then add on some Magery. I just want to give the Mage some life. Again not to over shadow the fighter.

Edited by Angelus_Mortis

Every body makes suggestions on how to 'improve' the magic system even entropy has thought about the mage class(inclusive of special spells or whatever)

But in the heavily paraphrased and slightly out of context korrode

...most the strongest mage's are also top a/d'ers, gotta be careful to not make the already very strong much much stronger... once again making a few much more powerful than most will not be a good thing... i don't see how anyone could dispute this, in my mind it's proven.

I think there is a very good reason why these ideas have been ignored.

I havent a clue what those reasons are, but they must be good :D

Edited by Rokk

Raccoon? Lol?

...That's my point right there. You have to be a fighter first or A/D you can't be a Mage with a little fight mixed in.

Actually you can the OP strength of the harm spell is worked out between rationality (will and reasoning) and magic level and has nothing infact to do with A/D, so you can already become a good mage and never have to don a sword n shield, most dedicated mages have a special build to maximise rationality and fighting ability is often sacrificed.

The reason most high level mages have high A/D is because fighting mobs is the main skill and backbone of EL.

Edited by Rokk

Greetings puma.

Thanks for your reply but my ideas were not ment to make the Mage OP just to make him more versatile and more fun to play. IMO there is no Mage that can stand alone without having the fighter skills attached. In other words this is a fighter first then add on some Magery. I just want to give the Mage some life. Again not to over shadow the fighter.

That does not address the other point Maxine made: those suggestions are old. At least do some research before posting what you think is a new idea: chances are good that it has been thought of before, and not implemented.

And, the text just above the avatar (the square picture to the left) is not the nick of the poster (check on one of your own posts, you're not calling yourself 'Newbie' I guess...)

The poster's nick is in the bar a bit above the text (on a darker background).

Apart from this being an old old suggestion, I also do not see the need to make the OP mage even more powerful. The only scenario I can see where these spells make sense is if monsters have different defenses again different elements, but as far as I know there is no difference between Ice, fire and lightning damage.

Some creatures do have varying degrees of weakness to each element. For example, ice dragon has cold resistence but is weak to fire. MB has cold/heat resistence but is weak to radiation, same with phantom warriors. That said these resistances are usually very small...on the order of 10. If elemental magic spells were added these would probably need to be buffed, which would then require examining melee damage with and without fa for balance etc. It is odd that mages only have 1 viable damage spell, but not something I see changing in the forseeable future for EL.

Perhaps a way to balance the potential OP nature of these kinds of spells in combat is to have a class of spells that are not able to be cast while in physical combat. This would allow someone who wants to focus more on mage training to hunt and kill monsters while still using magic. Might be tricky with the auto attack after a spell is generally cast, but could potentially be done. Maybe a shield type spell that blocks the aggro of a monster when casting these spells. Some monsters would obviously ignore this spell and I don't think it should be allowed to work in PvP combat. Might be it works until you get to chims or so. These spells would also be blocked buy magic immunity in PvP i would think.

There could also be the potential of the individual spell leveling up in power with use but that could lead to richer fighters spamming the spells and leveling them fast.

Or make spells that are not combat related. Am missing for example Transformation Spells, that can transform One item into a similar other item.

For example Wood Branches, into Wood logs, Vegetables into Fruits, Leather helms into leather and thread. :P there is a big bunch of things that one can think of there.

Power Spells, that enhances the attributes for a small while, similar to the potions, but could theoretically go over the limits of them, and have in case of coordination and phy an effect on the emu.

Astro Spells, that effect the astro of a player to better or worse (depending on luck )

just to name a few ideas of things magic could do. that do not need to be combined with fighting

Or make spells that are not combat related. Am missing for example Transformation Spells, that can transform One item into a similar other item.

For example Wood Branches, into Wood logs, Vegetables into Fruits, Leather helms into leather and thread. :P there is a big bunch of things that one can think of there.

Power Spells, that enhances the attributes for a small while, similar to the potions, but could theoretically go over the limits of them, and have in case of coordination and phy an effect on the emu.

Astro Spells, that effect the astro of a player to better or worse (depending on luck )

just to name a few ideas of things magic could do. that do not need to be combined with fighting

I must admit I havent searched, but this sounds like a nice fresh approach :)

Greeting Angelus. Welcome to EL. I want to apologize for the totally inappropriate responses in this thread. I am embarassed that you received such a cold welcome, especially since some of the most inane comments are coming from moderators. I'll itemize my response.
1) OBVIOUSLY radu asked angelus for his opinion and OBVIOUSLY he was told to place those opinions in the forum. Read the OP if anyone still can't figure that out. To ask why ... well ... really?
2) The skill system is indeed unbalanced for an RPG. You cannot be a pure Mage or Ranger like you can in ALMOST EVERY OTHER RPG IN EXISTENCE. This is by game design. It's just a bit misleading since the game is labeled as a MMORPG ... when it should be called "an open world game that allows you to fight and cast some magic spells." How can it be a Role Playing Game when the only combat role you play is warrior. You can max out Will, Reasoning and Magic level and a simple magic immunity spells negates all of your combat spells.
2) To ask why this topic keeps coming up is like saying, "this rusty hinge has been squeeking for years. Why is it still squeeking?" These are real features that are expected of any RPG. Especially one that exists in 2015. This and other suggestions will continue to be offered by new players until they are addressed. But that will not be a problem much longer because ...
3) The hostility towards new players in game and in the forum pushes a lot of new players away. I go to LAN parties 4 times a year and advocate for EL. Of the 20+ players that I have brought into EL, only 3 remain. One actually said that reading the comments in the invasion channel was like reading a 4chan thread.
I know this response is a bit agressive, but frankly, I am becoming a bit worried concerning the future of EL. Radu has made it clear that an influx of capitol is necessary to allow him to continue to focus on EL development. This does not seem like it is going to happen unless some changes are made to attract and maintain new players. Maybe it is time to consider a character overhaul for the game ... or is everyone happy interacting with the same 40 players and their 15 alts?? I've enjoyed playing EL since about 2003. The thought of it stagnating is depressing.
BTW, this quote from Wizzy below is apropos.

<SNIP>

I enjoyed EL for many years, I tried my best to help guide it in a positive direction

Eternal Lands (imho) has the potential to be the Online Indi version of "Magic the Gathering" without the printed trading cards. There are so many great things about this game, but, when it comes to PK there seems to be a lack of vision. I can not possibly fix it. And I am (personally) very disapointed I had such little influnence no matter how hard I tried to effect (affect) and change or alterations to game mechanics.

Wiz

Some notifications from Atalas posting. Most fights aren't PK, and mobs not cast MI, so you can use magic for fight if you want, for example pink dragons it work very well. Also, MI dont last forever. But where i agreed, is ch 6 chat. It's an invasion channel, and normal chat really should be returned to ch 4. it's very, very bad in current way. And What comes in PK, reason why most ppl not PK in EL, is here the fight are way too costly, it not make sense to go fight, and then harvesting 2 weeks to replace stuff, i really would like to PK, and i do it lot on other games, where it not cost insane amount of gold every single fight.

Atalas, with all due respect. I think the biggest problem with the topic is that all this stuff has been said over and over, by players and mods alike. Its like a raw nerve that keeps getting picked at and everyone is sore over it. The only time we had a glimmer of hope is when radu asked about the mage class perks, but too many people dumped on it so that idea fell flat. Things that don't cause bricks to drop will not be implemented and right now the status quo is what keeps things the way they are. One thing that may cause a rethinking is that a number of big name players have quit in the last few weeks. Keeping the same ol' isn't going to bring them back, so improvements need to be made. Everyone has ideas but few are even seen here by the person who can make them.

Maybe some comments could have been said nicer, but that nerve is sore and jabbing an ice pick in it again isn't helping matters.

Edited by Aquila
my poor spelling

Just some ideas...

Magic spells to reinforce/improve the fighting experience at all...usefull in invasions, invances and instances, resulting in some

team job, and new tatics for players as collateral effect.

*Sigils should be sold in magic shop as usual;

*Essies to be choosen;

*Could stack with potions aswell.

-> Berserker rage

Temporally increase your reasoning/attack by 5 pps;

Requires sometime cooldown delay and/or action points.

-> Panzer protection

Temporally increase your instinct/defense by 5 pps;

Requires sometime cooldown delay and/or action points.

-> Merlin power

Temporally increase your will/magic by 5 pps;

Less cooldown and/or less action points to be casted.

Edited by Multani

I'd like mage upgrades, my ideas:

Mage should be able to support in invasions, instances etc protecting, healing etc. with AOE spells. It's ok for these spells to be expensive (relatively). These spells should require magic nexus. In many games healer is as important as tank.

Mage clothing with bonuses (hats, robes, gloves tailoring skill?) requiring high human and magic nexus to equip.

Maybe some ranged spells (fireball?)

I'm not really in favor of AOE attack spells

The magic on my char is pretty good, but I struggle for example with FT daily, with magic better than melee I think it should still be feasible for me to engage one of these and protect myself with magic so I can compete without having to use dozens of dis rings. And spell kills should count...