Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Seiduna

Sir Odie, where are you? Seting up custom server.

so i made some customs for el players,

i told them to use Sir Odies service,

and i just checked mercator for Sir:

sir_odie was last seen online 55 Days 4 Hours 3 Minutes 33 Seconds ago

Since his service apears to be the only one (http://el-wiki.net/Custom_clothes),

could someone reach him?

On the other hand, it seems poorly handled to have just one service,

is there any info on setting custom server?

-is it just folder structure, zipped?

Thank you

Sir_odie reads mercator tell messages send to him. just tell him with /mercator tell message about what you need

for example you can put your custom clothes on a server and tell him over the message where to download it

This does work normally

If it would come really necessary i might be able to set up a mirrorserver but right now things works with tell messages.

Edited by vinoveritas

oi oi VinoVeritas,

thank you so much for this info,

but this does not seem conveniant...

How about that 2nd part of my post?

Do you have any info on how to set up custum server?

Thank you again for your input

Why do you want to start your own while this one has been working well for years and is still fine. I have found Sir Odie responds very quickly to any messages I sent to him. To be frank, I really see no need for another one.

I do not want the files that I have entrusted to Odie copied on another service, but you are free to set up a service for your own stuff. However, I think you will need Sir Odie for information here as well.

One of the tricky things about customs is the encoding for the guilds, which are listed by some number and not name.

I don't think EL supports people to have more than one unofficial customs server, due to naming conventions of the zip file. This means they would have to chose.

I've not had any problems reaching sir_odie. He responds to forum pm's both on the EL forums and on el-services forums, as well as mercator messages.

Edited by darrock

I know exactly how the custom clothes server works, (including the encoding of guilds etc) that would not be the problem.

But it would be inconvenient to have more then 1 server at work, unless its an mirror server, and given to Sir_Odies respond times and the way the server works thats not needed

Odie's been around and easily reachable, normally never takes more than a couple days for a response but usually sooner. I've had regular contact with him here on the forums via PM for the 1.9.4 client release (he does some of the builds such as for Mac and handles the data files), and as well quickly fixed some bot services bugs I brought up with him.

Edited by Burn

well you are lucky old sods to have no trouble,
i started this thread because people were camming back to me saying they can not reach him,
or rather we did not know HOW to reach him.

and this got me thinking, if he is away, maybe someone else more reachable should take up the job.

i also see no reason, other that stated, that there should be more than one good server.

that said, how well are we prepared to replace him?
VinoVeritas, I suppose you could write it down, here on forum, could you not?

Keep in mind these are unofficial. Sir Odie is doing everyone a favor and generously donating his server and time. Nobody HAS to provide customs. There are official customs (not done by Sir Odie) but those are MUCH more strict in what is allowed, as well as to quality of what can be submitted.

Sir_Odie will not be "replaced" unless he asks to be replaced and even then that will be only if somebody else wants to take it up.

i started this thread because people were camming back to me saying they can not reach him,

or rather we did not know HOW to reach him.

And in this thread, we have given you three ways to reach him. He normally responds to any of these three ways within 24 hours, although, of course, a response from anyone is not guaranteed.

Regarding your question about replacing him... I personally don't think we need to cross that bridge before we come to it. At the moment, Sir_Odie does a fine job at a number of EL tasks, including providing an unofficial custom clothing server at no charge. Until, or unless, that changes, I think any discussion of "replacing" his services is premature.

oi oi,

ok, let get you one at the time;

Aislinn, having dedicated server for just unofficial custum clothes is probably stupid, i bet odie has that small zipped file on server that he uses for other stuff, unofficial custum clothing zip file is just a tiny little spec on that server...
And he is doing noone favour, as i recall he gats el gc...
And his quallity is easily surpassed...

Darrook, you obviously can not read, this goes as well to Aislinn, I did get the answer on first part of my question, and I did my thanks, all of you others are just spamming in that first part, how about you stop and move on to my 2nd question?

I am not saying we should/must/have to replace Sir_Odie, I do not know who gave you that idea, other that you misunderstood my question.
Seems you are making a lot of noise, and i can imagine only one thing why...

I am asking to put your knowladge here on unoficial custom clothing server setup, and maintenance and all that goes with it. Aislinn, you could, but i guess you wont.

About reaching Sir-Odie VinoVeritas explained, I did thank him, what are you others spamming is beyond my knowledge...

If you have some info, on how to set up server on custum, please, pour your love into this thread,
but I guess you will keep on defending something no one is attacking, specially not me. please, stop spamming...

I am not saying we should/must/have to replace Sir_Odie, I do not know who gave you that idea, other that you misunderstood my question.

You gave me that idea. See below.

...and this got me thinking, if he is away, maybe someone else more reachable should take up the job.

<snip>

that said, how well are we prepared to replace him?...

I was under the impression that at the client end you could only point to one server for custom clothes. If true, then it's in everyone's best interest to have only one "official" unofficial server for all the unofficial custom designs. That way everyone can see the same stuff without the need to get it accepted/hosted on multiple servers.

Of course, if my initial assumption is wrong, so is all that followed (other than the hassle of getting your customer stuff hosted multiple places).

Aislinn, you quoted quite well, i said IF, can you spot that two letters?

that said, i see you are still in fog:
"Sir Odie is doing everyone a favor and generously donating his server and time." - Aislinn.
dear admin Aislinn, will you please correct this misstruth before you came again.

I do not know some things, so i want to learn, why are you so afraid?

bkc56, you are right on point, no matter how much we know and no metter if we set up 1000 servers, if client is not pointing to serves(s) our work won't gain nothing, khehe.
and I was wondering about multi-servers, but I guess it would not be hard to sync them? even better, set up a web-page so players could simply upload, and all custom server's admins could easily pick files from there...

again, but what IF aliens came and took sir odie back to their planet? How well are we prepared to pick up?
I suppose VinoVeritas could do it, and for sure Aislinn, but she would want to hear something like "Aislinn is doing everybody a favour" khehehe...
You, my dear admin, are not doing any favours to noone, it seems to me, khehehe

for future reference, for you old farts and admins, i DID say sir odie has a good server, i did state he does get back quite fast. how came you missed that part...?
please, stop your bitching and get out.

Aislinn, you quoted quite well, i said IF, can you spot that two letters?

that said, i see you are still in fog:

"Sir Odie is doing everyone a favor and generously donating his server and time." - Aislinn.

dear admin Aislinn, will you please correct this misstruth before you came again.

Yes indeed, Sir_Odie asks for payment every time you want to add/change/remove one or more files.

He asks for a whole 1000 gc for a players's customs (which at current rates would be the equivalen of about 0.05$)

and 10 000 gc for guilds customs (~ 0.050$).

And this is only for changing your customs, there's no monthly/yearly fee

I do not know some things, so i want to learn, why are you so afraid?

You might find others more willing to provide information if you do not insult/accuse of spamming those that do not give exactly the information you want

bkc56, you are right on point, no matter how much we know and no metter if we set up 1000 servers, if client is not pointing to serves(s) our work won't gain nothing, khehe.

and I was wondering about multi-servers, but I guess it would not be hard to sync them? even better, set up a web-page so players could simply upload, and all custom server's admins could easily pick files from there...

Go ahead, the client code is open source and available here (you'll need that to allow downloading from multiple servers)

And the suggested procedure to propose changes to the client code is through a Github "fork and pull request". Some googling should get you all the info you need.

again, but what IF aliens came and took sir odie back to their planet? How well are we prepared to pick up?

I suppose VinoVeritas could do it, and for sure Aislinn, but she would want to hear something like "Aislinn is doing everybody a favour" khehehe...

You, my dear admin, are not doing any favours to noone, it seems to me, khehehe

Shall we say that she's doing you a huge favor right at this moment?

for future reference, for you old farts and admins, i DID say sir odie has a good server, i did state he does get back quite fast. how came you missed that part...?

please, stop your bitching and get out.

Allright, then I'd like to see you quote where you said that. My reading skills are insufficient to find it in this thread...

*Puts on moderator cape*

Also, please remember that the forum rules prohibit flaming and insulting other players (see rules 1, 4, 5, 12 here)

*takes off moderator cape*

Edited by revi

hey revi, i see you made an effort, thank you.

I have no trouble saying thank you, but it goes like this:
i ask, someone answers, I thank.

I have even less trouble of saying f*!# you, that usually goes like this:
i ask, someone is not understanding and doing something else, I f*!#

i usually aim for one 'thing', but if they move...
---
i have no trouble using github, what i am hoping is some help from people that already know custom
---
I see some people answered here, but Aislinn did me no favour,
or do you mean she is not using the 'power' that she is not to use anyway...?!?
was it me or her stating the lie?
---
I also do not understand where did i insult odie that there is such attack on this matter...
if odie is insulted, i guess odie would say a thing or two...
---
in this thread i said that odie has a one good server,
and my bad, somewhere else i stated that he is usually a nica guy and gives feedback right after he uploads your meshes:
http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60010&p=587270
---
if you (plural) do not want to help, why pop up in thread?
---
*Puts on human cape*
if you help answer, you are not helping just me, but the comunity.
and we here, in this thread know that there are at least two who know this,
where is their help?
*takes off human cape*

please, keep your threats and spamming for yourself, i for one will be gratefull.

(...)

*Puts on human cape*

if you help answer, you are not helping just me, but the comunity.

and we here, in this thread know that there are at least two who know this,

where is their help?

*takes off human cape*

please, keep your threats and spamming for yourself, i for one will be gratefull.

Oh, that wasn't a threat, just a friendly warning.

You seem to consider "spamming" anything that doesn't suit you in a reply,

and take that as sufficient justification to become disagreeable with the

person concerned. Your choice.

As a moderator I have a job to do here, and part of that job is warning about

possible consequences if rules are not followed, to avoid harsher measures.

You consider those as threats and spamming, and don't want to receive them in

the future. That's fine with me.

And regarding your reaction to someone who didn't understand you:

would you try a second time to help someone reacting like that?

EDIT: as we're drifting a bit off-topic, I'll leave it at this. Good luck with your customs

Edited by revi

well i can asure people of following the unofficial custom clothes are not as big of a problem and can be relative easy reinstated on a new server, if ever something should happen with sir_odie. The bigger problem would be the bot service that he runs, but even for that i could see a solution that might with some time work.

BUT: Sir_Odie and the ones before him have set up all well, and things are fine running. If he ever wants to stop one of the things, i think he knows a few to contact that might be willing to take over. Until then its not needed

well i can asure people of following the unofficial custom clothes are not as big of a problem and can be relative easy reinstated on a new server, if ever something should happen with sir_odie. The bigger problem would be the bot service that he runs, but even for that i could see a solution that might with some time work.

BUT: Sir_Odie and the ones before him have set up all well, and things are fine running. If he ever wants to stop one of the things, i think he knows a few to contact that might be willing to take over. Until then its not needed

How high is the bus factor[1] for that service, i.e. how many people can continue it currently without major interruption of it occurring?

[1]https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_Number