Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

EL 1.9.4 final client released

Get it from here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_194_install.exe

Please note that the client (the maps) is not fully compatible with the main server. This means that, until the server update, there will be some map issues, such as holes in the ground, etc. DO NOT POST ABOUT THEM HERE. Other than that, the client should work fine, and there are a lot of cool things, bug fixes, etc. You can read the list here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59112

Soon we'll release the Linux and Mac clients as well.

Note: Except instance and guild maps, every single map in the game is guaranteed to have holes, tons of them, and attempts to mapwalk will result in constant stopping. The amount of mapwork done is extensive and very incompatible with current main server maps.

There really is no way whatsoever to play normally on the main server with this until after the server update. It'll work fine map-wise on Test server though, and I highly recommend going there to do your testing.

Be prepared to return to 1.9.3 to play normally again, and always backup your data files before testing.

(But please, do test the client so we can finally let this see the light of day. It's the client that needs testing, not the maps.)

Edited by Burn

I'll be publishing the updated Ubuntu/Mint and Debian packages when I know the server update is coming. Until then, you could try out a new Linux installer for the cross-distro static client that can be downloaded here. This installer includes the new data files too. You can point the install at a local directory and so have the current and new clients at hand.

Once downloaded, open a terminal, move to the directory where you download the file, then run the installer using this command:

sh el_linux_installer_194.sh

The installer places all the files in the chosen directory so it can be easily removed later. The exception is the application launcher file that is placed here:

$HOME/.local/share/applications/eternallands_static.desktop

It also creates the local configuration files if needed in the usual place $HOME/.elc

Once installed you can run the client using the provided launcher icon from your desktop menus or your desktop shell. Its called "eternallands_static". You may need log out and back in again to see the icon. Otherwise, you can run from a terminal using the launcher script, either from the install directory or using the full path to the install directory from anywhere else. The command is:

./eternallands.sh

Be sure to manage your #DATA_DIR path correctly, the launcher will indicate if its not correct. But also check it is correct once the client has started by looking at the console text. Fix/check it is correct when you run the old client again too.

Edited by bluap

[radu @ 6]: very soon, will update the download page today with all the binaries
[radu @ 6]: then maybe the day after tomorrow we shpuld have the update

[radu @ 6]: kk, I updated the download page
[radu @ 6]: it would be a good idea to download the installer for your specific OS now
[radu @ 6]: you might want to postpone actually installing it though until the server update

(Posted last night... about 18 or so hours ago)

When I installed the 1.9.4 client, EL would not start on my Win7 computer. I determined that the problem was with my customized servers.lst file. If I have more than 10 lines in it, the client will not run. I tried different lines, and it didn't seem to matter the content of the lines, only that the total number of lines cannot exceed 10. With 10 or fewer lines, the client starts normally. I seem to recall someone saying in the past that there was a limit of a maximum of 20 lines to this file. Has this been intentionally changed? Or is there something I am doing wrong?

Edited by darrock

Only use <10 here, but confirmed it won't work with more than 10. (OpenSUSE here, so it's not a Win issue.)

Just confirming, bluap would have to comment on changes though I don't recall when making the change log anything done to this.

Edited by Burn

Actually, https://github.com/raduprv/Eternal-Lands/blob/master/servers.c

Line 8 limits servers to 10.

The commit history for it shows that number has not changed. However an error trap was set to shut it down if it was exceeded since 1.9.3 (the most recent commit to that file), which may be what you're seeing here, the limit has always been there, it's just enforced now.

Further to what Burn said, if you were using more than 10 entries then it would be likely not to work but worst, could cause a client crash. The limit could be increased by upping the MAX_SERVERS define. The decision to exit, rather than ignore additional entries, was mainly to avoid confusion. Checking the error log would then show what was wrong.

You may have done this, but to everyone, please remember to always check the error logs if you have problems. I note that the log entry I have written in this case should include the line limit too.

I agree that MAX_SERVERS has been set to 10. However, that's not the same as the number of lines in the file. I've successfully run with 12-15 lines (7-10 alts on Main game server) since 2010, on versions up through 1.9.4 RC. I note in a post by Sgik last year: "the maximum number of server entries you can have in the file is 10, and the maximum number of characters in the server name (1st field) and subdirectory (2nd field) is 19." (http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59436&p=582296). Now, I can only add 5 alts to the existing 5 server lines in the file. So something else seems to have changed.

Edited by darrock

Well, this is why I asked people to test the RC, and most didn't bother to. I am not going to make any changes to the binaries now.

browser: That's a second issue you're having on 13.2 that I don't...

Should be firefox, not FireFox btw, Linux is very caps-specific.

Which means in this case and your previous Mozilla, you've had crashes with an incorrect browser name.

Try the correct spelling. (Mine doesn't crash with a bad entry, but we don't know as yet if yours does with a good one.)

And again, I'll have RPMs for OpenSUSE out as soon as the server's updated, perhaps those will work better. I've had none of the issues you've reported.

The max servers isn't really a bug, it's actually the fix of a bug. You get that you don't really need a different entry for every alt, right? If you do, you're doing something really weird. (I have one full-function settings for my main account, and a second with lower settings and smaller window for alts.)

Edited by Burn

The max servers isn't really a bug, it's actually the fix of a bug. You get that you don't really need a different entry for every alt, right? If you do, you're doing something really weird. (I have one full-function settings for my main account, and a second with lower settings and smaller window for alts.)

I've never said it was a bug. And I question whether it's a "bug fix", since it's been stated in the forums on multiple occasions that 19/20 entries have been allowed in servers.lst (even though actual different servers was restricted to 10).

I've been accused of worse things than weirdness :P But yes, I've had 7 autonomous alts for over 5 years who have a number of different settings and have enjoyed having separate directories/settings, and have 4 newer special-purpose alts who are a bit less customized and could be more easily combined. I'm disappointed about what seems to me to be an unnecessary new restriction. I'm sure I'll spend the next few weeks re-organizing and tweaking their settings.

Edited by darrock

New client does not run on my linux system:

[den@s-hold eternallands]$ ./el.x86.linux.bin
./el.x86.linux.bin: relocation error: ./el.x86.linux.bin: symbol __libc_enable_secure, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
[den@s-hold /]$ uname -a
Linux s-hold.localdomain 3.8.13.4-std-def-alt1.M70P.2 #1 SMP Tue Jul 16 11:08:12 UTC 2013 i686 GNU/Linux

FYI, I did test the RC. This problem with more than five alts wasn't a problem with the RC.

The bug fix that enforces the number of "servers" in the servers.lst file was committed in March 2014, so it was most definitely in the 1.9.4 RC. The client was liable to crash before that check was included if more servers than the limit were used. The discussion on number of servers and number of lines in the servers.lst file a bit misleading. The file is clearly aimed as giving different configurations for different servers, but it can also be used to provide separate configuration directories for different characters on the same server. Two characters on the same server count as two servers. The file name and code variable names have not been changed to reflect current usage that's all.

New client does not run on my linux system:

[den@s-hold eternallands]$ ./el.x86.linux.bin

./el.x86.linux.bin: relocation error: ./el.x86.linux.bin: symbol __libc_enable_secure, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference

[den@s-hold /]$ uname -a

Linux s-hold.localdomain 3.8.13.4-std-def-alt1.M70P.2 #1 SMP Tue Jul 16 11:08:12 UTC 2013 i686 GNU/Linux

I'm not sure which distro you are using but does this help: [sOLVED] relocation error: /usr/lib32/libc.so.6

FYI, I did test the RC. This problem with more than five alts wasn't a problem with the RC.

The bug fix that enforces the number of "servers" in the servers.lst file was committed in March 2014, so it was most definitely in the 1.9.4 RC.

I apologize. I reinstalled the RC to double-check, and it has the same issue with servers.lst. I ran multiple chars on the test server, but apparently neglected to copy my normal servers.lst file into it. Thank you for your explanation of the change.

Just to Doc my in game comments

F2 with a new URL crashes 1.9.4

Linux openSUSE 13.2 FireFox browser set as FireFox in ini as per 1.9.3

browser: That's a second issue you're having on 13.2 that I don't...

Should be firefox, not FireFox btw, Linux is very caps-specific.

Which means in this case and your previous Mozilla, you've had crashes with an incorrect browser name.

Try the correct spelling. (Mine doesn't crash with a bad entry, but we don't know as yet if yours does with a good one.)

This is a problem with the statically linked linux binaries from the website. See http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59956

The binaries from ppa:pjbroad on deb & derivatives (and I assume from Burn's packages as well) do not appear to have this issue.

Hi since new update, i can't log on anymore.

i did download the new patch. can someone help me?

NVM / i uninstalled it and now it working.

Edited by Coban

Is there a pack of the new data files somewhere without an installer? I compile my own client (Linux) and don't install where the installers automatically puts things.

The linux installer also has a command-line option that extracts the data files. It's a bit messy to use, but it works (since I'm playing after the update ;) ).

I did it that way, as I was in the same situation, and didn't know about the twinmoons link)