Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Burn

Making a Truly Widespread C2 Invasion

I'm currently working on a mod-only (er, mods that do invasions) invasion map, as was brought up here:
http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59889

One of the first invasion types I'm setting up is a widespread C2 topside invasion, that doesn't require using the portal room. Invaders can drop in various places on the map rather than just the one portal drop location. (Invaders could appear in anywhere from 2 to 10 locations on a c2 topside map depending on the size of the map.) This will also remove the congestion in the portal room during c2 invasions, especially with how many invaders can be used these days.

Question for all: Should areas on C2 topside that are normally safe in portal invasions be included in this new massive c2 invasion system?

Areas I mean are places like Nymorq Woods in Idaloran, the entire outside-of-city area of Melinis, the PK area of Aeth Aelfan... any topside location that's "large enough" that normal portal invaders would never get to.

(Due to the randomness of the system, and the areas could easily be filled, small spots like the Mel island, Irsis island, the Ida east-side high spot where the mine entrance is, and such will remain safe regardless.)

Edited by Burn

I would certainly be in favor of using these unused spaces - yes Mel main map may get invaded, but perhaps the city will be safe.

In fact this would be so much better than the current portals, and I would assume that there will be blue spam regarding the type of invasion coming. Players will soon learn which parts are safe and which are not - so the more times it is changed, the more bricks for Radu.

Invasions would be limited to several maps - not all maps

Players can still use the portals to get to the invasion - and when the exit the portals they don't necessarily drop right in the middle of all the mobs.

One big place to add to the list - RoTP! A much underused map.

Heh, this "map" will be able to have multiple types of invasions set up on it, which can be limited to specific maps. Anyone who does invasions can have a setup done for them for a specific type of invasion, limited to specific maps.

But for this topic, only working on this one invasion type, which is the widespread "if you're on c2 topside you're in trouble" massive invasion. (Any other types will be generally up to the invasion-makers.)

If you made a large area (where the mobs would be spawned) with portals to invade the 'large' areas of the map, and then a long, skinny passageway branching off of that to a 'secondary' room, you could put several portals to smaller areas in that secondary room... Only a fraction of the total spawn would ever make it down that corridor and with several portals to 'choose from' once they got there, it would divide it even further. Might take a little trial and error (If the corridor were 2 spaces wide, placing a single portal somewhere along it's length would cause a big cutdown in the mobs that make it to the end, for example), but I think you could rig it to pop a few mobs into smaller areas that way without worrying about completely filling them up.

Z

This particular scenario will have about 100 drop points, where a small area like Jandir Beach would get only 1 drop point, but there'd be 7 or 8 drop spots on a map like Ida main, all dropping at different locations for spreading them out. Smaller maps like Bethel/Sedi get maybe 2... pulling numbers out of my sun-don't-shine place atm, it's not fully decided.

For now attempting to work with basic setups. The simpler it's done, the easier others can edit it later. (This won't be in the client, so it can be updated with any server update, by me, Acelon, or any invasion-maker that can edit a def file for a map. Less reliance on just one person... me, in this case.)

Question for all: Should areas on C2 topside that are normally safe in portal invasions be included in this new massive c2 invasion system?

Areas I mean are places like Nymorq Woods in Idaloran, the entire outside-of-city area of Melinis, the PK area of Aeth Aelfan... any topside location that's "large enough" that normal portal invaders would never get to.

(Due to the randomness of the system, and the areas could easily be filled, small spots like the Mel island, Irsis island, the Ida east-side high spot where the mine entrance is, and such will remain safe regardless.)

Yes, this would be awesome

I'd suggest doing one for TG Magic School and PV Magic School.

I have heard mods say they like doing invasions there but it is so hard.

I'd like some standard warning when new system is implement including which areas are considered safe just like the C1 invasions where certain maps are declared safe.

I'd imagine something to the effect of a "full topside c2 invasion" announced (not "portals" as currently gets announced). No main map location should be considered safe for that. Those tiny spots mentioned are too few and too out of the way to be any place you'd wanna be anyway.

But it's pretty much up to whoever's doing the invasion. I only make maps. ;-) But at least with this, the portal room will be safe so it's an escape option.

Since C2 portal invasions usually consist of DCW upwards there usually isn't many invasions that lower levels can participate in unless they get a team together which is usually rare, perhaps make a similar map for C1 invasions which can be used for mobs under DCW level, and keep IP, WS, VoTD safe. There used to be a lot of C1 invasions many years ago which I feel a lot of players enjoyed but as the mobs kept going into IP they stopped doing C1 Invasions and kept it to solo maps such as SKF, occasionally Nordcarn and MM. Making a map for C1 invasions and having lower end mobs allows more people to participate in invasions on a more common basis and would be nostalgic to old players and a lot of fun to be running around TD, DP, TG hunting for mobs again. I know for certain that I among many would enjoy not only the C2 widespread invasion idea, but having C1 widespread invasions too.

Yes there are a lot of places on C1 which are unused most of the time - the TG Gargoyle cave, TG Spider Cave, etc. An invasion map which dropped invaders in those places rather than C1 portal room would be interesting.

But for this topic, only working on this one invasion type, which is the widespread "if you're on c2 topside you're in trouble" massive invasion. (Any other types will be generally up to the invasion-makers.)

Those who actually answered the question seem fine with it, thanks for the input.

I auto-assumed the same for the higher number of posts that went off-subject on tangents I already stated aren't relevant to the purpose of this thread and said nothing about the actual topic.

So, it's done. (Literally done, I'm finished working on it.)

Burn, I note the timing of the server update this morning about 30 minutes after your post -- does that mean the map made it in, or just coincidence?

Z