Eternal Lands Official Forums
sgik

Question about Game Rule #18: What do you mean by "hack"?

Rule 18 states: Do not attempt to interfere with or hack into any transmissions to or from the servers. [...]

By "hack into", are you referring only to packet injection, or do you also mean monitoring?

I would like to tap the TCP connection on my machine in order to gather information about harvesting and mixing (and later, maybe other things) that I can't get from the session log. Note that this would be a READ-ONLY tap; I would not be injecting, deleting, or modifying any packets, or otherwise interfering with the client-server connection.

Initially, this will be a data dump that I will analyze post-session, but eventually, I want to do real-time monitoring. For example, I might have a tool running that would monitor what I have in storage, and let me know if I am getting low on some items, so that I can more easily see what I have to buy/trade, make, or harvest/kill. Conversely, if I have an overabundance of the ingredients for an item, the tool could alert me to that, so I can make the item in a school for XP.

There may be other applications that come to me in the future, but the important thing is that the client would not be modified, and communications between the client and server would not be interfered with in any way.

So my questions are: 1. Is any of the above legal? 2. Are there any restrictions (e.g. data dump vs real-time)?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Initially, this will be a data dump that I will analyze post-session, but eventually, I want to do real-time monitoring. For example, I might have a tool running that would monitor what I have in storage, and let me know if I am getting low on some items, so that I can more easily see what I have to buy/trade, make, or harvest/kill. Conversely, if I have an overabundance of the ingredients for an item, the tool could alert me to that, so I can make the item in a school for XP.

You know... the client is open source. You could start from that and implement it right there.

You know... the client is open source. You could start from that and implement it right there.

Erm modifications to the client need approval before they can be used....

I am sure we could all make the game so much easier if we modified the client to do what we wanted.... hence the rule.

Edited by Raz

The client has any number of debug options in make.conf (that are typically turned off)... There's a good chance one of them will spit out the information you're looking for anyway.

Z

The client has any number of debug options in make.conf (that are typically turned off)... There's a good chance one of them will spit out the information you're looking for anyway.

I've already gone through the client code, and it doesn't have what I want (at least, not without modifying source files, which, as Raz mentioned, I'm not allowed to do without permission). Thanks, though. Anyway, doing it on my own will be more fun.

BTW

Is using modified client on test server allowed? I know, I should go through the license or search option on forum, but hey, this topic is a good one to ask once more.

BTW

Is using modified client on test server allowed? I know, I should go through the license or search option on forum, but hey, this topic is a good one to ask once more.

It's fine on test server :)

Is using modified client on test server allowed? [...]

It's fine on test server :)
Really? I asked this question in-game once and got the following response:

[09:53:54] [sgik @ 2]: Do the restrictions against using unapproved modified clients apply to the test server?

[09:54:24] [Raistlin @ 2]: imo yes, if you have something special in mind you should contact radu directly

I would like to submit fixes for several micro-bugs (bugs too small to bother the developers with, like window Z-order preservation when switching back and forth to tab map or F1 console), and small feature enhancements (e.g., optional minute and second hands for the analog clock), but have been reluctant to fiddle with the code because I thought that I would need radu's permission to use the test server to test every small change.

Just spoken with Learner who says -

modified client with code trying to be approved for main should be ok, macroing cheating clients need radu's approval
So unless Radu posts differently I'd say that's defiitive

And sgik please do offer patches or use the fork/pull request facilities on Github, for any change, no matter how small As one of he client developers with commit permissions, I would be more than happy to review fixes and apply them. It would be very nice to have a more vibrant contribution community for the client:)

modified client with code trying to be approved for main should be ok, macroing cheating clients need radu's approval

This is good to hear, I have a number of minor bugs/etc I'd like to fix as well but never wanted to mess with the client for fear of a ban or something...

So just to be clear -- changes to the client that are very likely to be accepted with little discussion (bugfixes and the like that don't affect gameplay) are OK to test on main before making a pull request to you/Learner/whoever??

Z

This is good to hear, I have a number of minor bugs/etc I'd like to fix as well but never wanted to mess with the client for fear of a ban or something...

So just to be clear -- changes to the client that are very likely to be accepted with little discussion (bugfixes and the like that don't affect gameplay) are OK to test on main before making a pull request to you/Learner/whoever??

Z

NO you can make changes that are bugfixes or likely to be approved and test them on the TEST system.

Only approved clients can be used on the main.

What learner meant was if the code is likely to be approved on main - you can test it on test.... and if it gets approved and implemented it will then be available on main.

Any change that is unlikely ever to be approved is ot allowed to be tested on main or test.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.