Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EvanMarie

Multi-cap, Multi-map invasions

(I don’t know if this has been brought up before; don’t even know how to begin to search other than ‘invasions’ which I'm sure would yield a gazillion hits)

I’ve been thinking of this for a while and with the ants back (thank you, learner) maybe I’m getting nostalgic.

I’d like to see the return of the C1 invasions where several maps at once were invaded and each map had a different a/d range. I know there were problems and the mods had to babysit in each map because overcappers would ruin the fun. I would think that this problem has been solved since we now have capped invasions on single maps and everybody knows to not interfere.

It seems to me that these invasions were ones that people who weren’t great fighters could still enjoy. There were fewer invaded creatures per map so we weren’t overwhelmed immediately and non-fighters could actually survive long enough to enjoy them. Because several maps were invaded (iirc, NC and VoTD were usually the only safe maps) and there were different caps per map, everybody who wanted to defend Serida could do so. Sounds funny, but it seems that then more of us were invested in defending our lands and we could all play a role in that defense because no single a/d range could clear the invasion. Now it is just a matter of which map to avoid and do you want to lose a rosto. I know that rosto-poofing is really the point of invasions, but I’d think if more different people were fighting invasions, in the end the same number would get poofed, it just wouldn’t be from the same 10 people (or whatever the number is).

Some people will say that since we have invances we don’t need multi-capped, multi-map invasions. I’d disagree. A C1-wide invasion puts us all in the same boat: a world full of invaders that we must combat, not a single map where people voluntarily go to fight. Having most of C1 invaded could cause a problem for some people getting their dailies done during the invasion, well that is the price one pays for living in dangerous times when evil monsters invade your lands; besides, tomorrow is another day for doing your dailies.

EvanMarie

Edited by EvanMarie

Would be nice to see more moderated invasions. And I tire of the question on channel 6 asking for invaders and then re-asked 40 mins later and then ending up with an invasion of an entirely different cap or no invasion at all, when there was a large team. Part of this has been solved by creating chars in each cap range, but that isnt an effective option for most players.

and I entirely agree with Evan, if you make the invasions enjoyable for EVERYONE, instead of the people who have completely negged out or bought tons of pp, will result in more people dropping a rosto here and there instead of me orick and rabbitman dropping them all :closedeyes: Part of which I think has been proven by using Irsis as opposed to Bethel in more recent invasions. Which have been fun :)

Regarding Irsis vs Bethel I almost never went to Bethel or if I did I usually left very quickly.

I agree about the multiple invasion levels but a new cap is needed which accounts for the characters which are ultra negged w/many bought nexus and pick points. The other day on 60 capped invasion saw a player with full dragon gear, thermal sword, etc. Either those invasions are challenges to those type of characters in which case other players can not survive or it is not a challenge to the ulta negged/geared in which case the player can do invasion AFK.

Regarding Irsis vs Bethel I almost never went to Bethel or if I did I usually left very quickly.

I agree about the multiple invasion levels but a new cap is needed which accounts for the characters which are ultra negged w/many bought nexus and pick points. The other day on 60 capped invasion saw a player with full dragon gear, thermal sword, etc. Either those invasions are challenges to those type of characters in which case other players can not survive or it is not a challenge to the ulta negged/geared in which case the player can do invasion AFK.

This maybe going off topic. The last capped invasion that I moderated, I watched 3 players in "dragon gear, thermal swords etc" clear that invasion. The problem with that is Radu/mods have to make the invasions harder and harder to: 1. make it a challenge and enjoyable. 2. drop a brick or two. (that's how Radu makes money, you got to give him his income) The casual player who doesn't have the rl time or $ to deck himself out in Uber armor is left out in the cold. You can have all the caps in the world, but it won't change the fact that a few decked out players will enter and dominate it. The only solution I can see is to start having a/d level requirements for certain armors and weapons. It may sound unfair, but you'll level the playing field so that everyone can enjoy the invasions. Most other games I've played has had level requirements for some weapons and armor. It's not a new concept.

On the chance to go further off-topic...

This maybe going off topic. The last capped invasion that I moderated, I watched 3 players in "dragon gear, thermal swords etc" clear that invasion. The problem with that is Radu/mods have to make the invasions harder and harder to: 1. make it a challenge and enjoyable. 2. drop a brick or two. (that's how Radu makes money, you got to give him his income) The casual player who doesn't have the rl time or $ to deck himself out in Uber armor is left out in the cold. You can have all the caps in the world, but it won't change the fact that a few decked out players will enter and dominate it. The only solution I can see is to start having a/d level requirements for certain armors and weapons. It may sound unfair, but you'll level the playing field so that everyone can enjoy the invasions. Most other games I've played has had level requirements for some weapons and armor. It's not a new concept.

Indeed, that might be a step forward to even out the playing ground a bit more. Next to a/d requirements there could for other gear also be requirements for magic or engineering levels (bombs, wards!). Or requirements could be for physical attributes (physique, coordination, perception (for summoning),...) instead of skills. Edited by Elke

Is the gear the real problem, though?

I'd expect the build to have a much larger influence, with PP's from OA, neg. perks (and perhaps bought) all going to attributes and some positive perks. An all-rounder can hardly live with most of those neg. perks, and will need more nexus than a pure fighter => much less PP for atributes and 'fighter' perks => less chance to hit and dodge in a fight, and less damage dealt.

Invasion/inva/insta caps should be based on one of the 'Combat Level' formulas as opposed to purely a/d. It's not perfect (doesn't take into account various perks), but most people are familiar with it already and it's a far better representation of a player's actual fighting ability than just A/D.

Z

Is the gear the real problem, though?

I'd expect the build to have a much larger influence, with PP's from OA, neg. perks (and perhaps bought) all going to attributes and some positive perks. An all-rounder can hardly live with most of those neg. perks, and will need more nexus than a pure fighter => much less PP for atributes and 'fighter' perks => less chance to hit and dodge in a fight, and less damage dealt.

I helped a person the other day. They were complaining that in their Pr0 armor set (I can't remeber it all but a bronze sword was part of it) that orcs were too easy and they needed something more of a challenge. I think they said they were in their high 20's /low 30's A/D. With these kinds of weapons and armor, they are killing the monsters too fast to take much damage.