Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burn

Manu window - button arrangement change

USLddLB.png

Suggestion: Move the "Clear" button so it's to the left of the two mix buttons, as shown above.

Reason: It's way too easy to hit "clear" when doing massive mixing projects. Having tested this on test, I'm finding this drastically reduces that annoyance.

And as muscle issues slowly get worse with time on this end, misclicking becomes far more common, to the point where I was willing to go through the code, find this, and work on a fix myself. ;-)

While others may vary, most generally have their food to the right of the manu window, meaning cursor-crossing over the Clear button with each restart of the mix. This just puts the Clear button out of the way of that. And it does seem to make more sense to have it directly next to the ings, since that's what gets cleared.

[Edit - Removed changes. See post below instead...]

Edited by Burn

Think moving the Clear button to the left of the mix list would work better, not just the two buttons. Otherwise while going the the +/down arrow you can hit clear by accident which can cause it's own issues.

That was actually my first thought, but not being well-versed in anything but Perl coding-wise, I got a little lost and couldn't determine how to move the mix list.

So I got a little limited, and found this to work.

With the thought that, if you're clicking to get the list, you're probably changing your mix anyway so a Clear wouldn't do much harm.

But I agree, if that's doable it would be preferred. Just couldn't figger it out myself.

I can't remember the last time I used the clear button, but I agree, if its moved, lets move it to the left of the list.

Figgered it out ;-)

KqBnXJb.png

The below changes will make the box appear as shown in the above image. Fully tested on test server.

For placement, I set the clear button offset via the left side of manu window, the rest are offset from the right side of the window. Reason: Clear button is the only one with possible variable size as it grabs its text from language files.

There is the potential issue of "Clear" text being too long in another language, but considering the current button location I don't think so.

These are all the necessary changes to manufacture.c :

line 566 (+ and down arrow location - recipe box controls)

int wpx=manufacture_menu_x_len-100-25;

line 672 (location of the 6 mix slots)

draw_production_pipe(manufacture_menu_x_len-100-25-SLOT_SIZE*NUM_MIX_SLOTS,manufacture_menu_y_len-37, -1);

line 913 (recipe controls click handling)

line 1021 (click handling on the 6 mix slots)

pos=get_mouse_pos_in_grid(mx, my, NUM_MIX_SLOTS, 1, manufacture_menu_x_len-100-20-SLOT_SIZE*NUM_MIX_SLOTS, manufacture_menu_y_len-37, SLOT_SIZE, SLOT_SIZE);

line 1182 (recipe control help text)

line 1226 (6 mix slots help text)

pos=get_mouse_pos_in_grid(mx, my, NUM_MIX_SLOTS, 1, manufacture_menu_x_len-100-25-SLOT_SIZE*NUM_MIX_SLOTS, manufacture_menu_y_len-37, SLOT_SIZE, SLOT_SIZE);

line 1264 (Mix One help text)

show_help(mix_str, manufacture_menu_x_len-100, manufacture_menu_y_len+10);

line 1272 (Mix All help text)

show_help(mixall_str, manufacture_menu_x_len-50, manufacture_menu_y_len+10);

line 1379 (Mix One button location)

mixone_button_id=button_add_extended(manufacture_win, mixone_button_id, NULL, manufacture_menu_x_len-100, manufacture_menu_y_len-36, 43, 0, 0, 1.0f, 0.77f, 0.57f, 0.39f, ">");

line 1384 (Mix All button location)

mixall_button_id=button_add_extended(manufacture_win, mixall_button_id, NULL, manufacture_menu_x_len-50, manufacture_menu_y_len-36, 43, 0, 0, 1.0f, 0.77f, 0.57f, 0.39f, ">>");

line 1389 (Clear button location)
clear_button_id=button_add_extended(manufacture_win, clear_button_id, NULL, 2, manufacture_menu_y_len-36, 70, 0, 0, 1.0f, 0.77f, 0.57f, 0.39f, clear_str);

line 1399 (drop-down recipe menu location)

recipe_win= create_window("w_recipe", manufacture_win, 0, manufacture_menu_x_len-100-25-SLOT_SIZE*NUM_MIX_SLOTS, manufacture_menu_y_len-2, recipe_win_width, num_displayed_recipes*SLOT_SIZE, ELW_TITLE_NONE|ELW_SHOW|ELW_USE_BACKGROUND|ELW_ALPHA_BORDER|ELW_SWITCHABLE_OPAQUE|ELW_USE_BORDER|ELW_RESIZEABLE);

While others may vary, most generally have their food to the right of the manu window

1. Use CTRL+1 to eat.

2. Use the "Mix All" button in your inventory window to mix. You don't even need to have the manu window open.

(edit: Done this way, you don't have to move the mouse, except to restock.)

Edited by sgik

So instead of a simple fix, turn what has been a single-hand gameplay aspect into a two-hand situation?

My dog, my coffee, my sammich, and my cig among other things wish to have a word with you about wanting to take my free hand away.

...But since you do things that way, the changes won't affect you so no argument against it.

Edited by Burn

I use the "Mix All" in the inventory window myself too. Clicking on FPs in inv and moving to the button is no issue. That said, I like the proactive approach to the ergonomics of the window and think it is a good change to be added.

So instead of a simple fix, turn what has been a single-hand gameplay aspect into a two-hand situation? My dog, my coffee, my sammich, and my cig among other things wish to have a word with you about wanting to take my free hand away.

I find it's faster to use two hands than to move the mouse around. But I don't have the distractions that you do. (What's a cig?)

But since you do things that way, the changes won't affect you so no argument against it.

I was just suggesting a way to do things that avoids the problem you are encountering using the current client. I'm neutral as to whether or not this is implemented.

I've actioned the github pull request merging in your changes. Not changing your patch, but I've also cleaned up the old code a bit to hopefully make it easier to maintain.