Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burn

Poll - New client update?

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a 1.9.4 minor update release with all the above changes?

There's been no plans to release another 1.9.x client since work on the GL2 major update client started last year. However, that's taking longer than expected, and our current client is now 22 months old.

Those of us who compile the latest source code have been privy to a huge number of additions, updates, and fixes while those who can't compile are still sitting with that old code.

For this reason, I've suggested a 1.9.4 minor update release be done. This way, everyone can take advantage of all the changes made to the code since 1.9.3.

What changes? See here: Semi-Complete List of Changes since 1.9.3

(As well, there's the "stagnation factor". Outsiders used to open source programs having regular updates may be turned off by not seeing anything happening (even though there's regular game updates), since they're not in the game. Download/Gaming site listings get freshened by a new release, which in turn can be "free advertising". A release shows the game is still alive to the never-played-before.)

If we can get enough people to want to see the above-list changes turned into a new minor update, it can happen.

So... answer above. ;-)

Edited by Burn

Developer time is a scarce and limited ressource which does not easily scale. One could argue it's better spent on readying version 2.0 and improving gameplay.

Yet for the reason hussam gave and the lengthy list of bug fixes I still voted 'yes'.

The work is already done, several of us are already running what would be 1.9.4. It's just a matter of making an official release for it. So not only is the code for this done, but it's also been tested. ;-)

So this won't really affect the 2.x work. Bluap and Sir_Odie have done a good job of keeping the 1.9.x code updated and added to even while the 2.x work was ongoing.

Edited by Burn

I know.

Yet still, while the programming work is done as the current state can be (nearly) released (and sure, that's by far the main work), it requires:

- adding (and reviewing?) the changelog you posted to the repository and possibly some small version-specific changes to readme

- tagging the release and creating the appropriate download packages for all versions from the same code base; possibly creating installers etc which usually are only built for releases

- updating all (official) download locations and links

- writing announcement(s)

Sounds all easy enough, even is all easy enough, but combined this also is not done in 5 Minutes ;)

Thus or yet I voted for 'yes, new version' ;) - I'm a fan of ship early, ship often. Code sitting unused in repos doesn't help anyone.

Edited by Elke

Heh, well considering the 2.x client code hasn't had an update in 5 months now (and current code for that doesn't seem to compile without a segfault for me) I don't think this will take away from the 2.x work. Server side code isn't open so dunno how far along radu is on that end.

Packaging for various platforms can get handled by bluap, Odie, anyone else who wants to make a package for their platform (like I started doing for OpenSUSE).

Non-code stuff like updating other sites... well, there's been a desire to get more people playing, this could be considered "free advertising". Some of it can be done by non-coders.

Yeah, it'll require some work, but the end result would prove beneficial.

A few notes:

- Until now, an official update included all the data files (maps, item images, textures, ...). Those will also have to be verified and packaged, but are not part of the GIT code base.

- Previous versions weren't packaged for any specific distribution, so doing that would in itself be a change, with all that implies about having someone preparing packages.

- Before voting, I'd like to hear from the people who would have to do the work, if they will have the possibility and are willing to prepare a new version..

(Note that the Git repository for the V1 series doesn't have an enormous activity either the last few months, so bluap, sir_Odie et al. might be busy with RL).

Edited by revi

- The only real changes to the data is the (English) book list and encyclopedia have been heavily updated. Those are in the GIT.

Acelon is working on taking over maps and such. We're not sure what or if there are any changes but if there are it's just a matter of tossing them into the data package, no big deal. If possible some map fixes may be made if there's time, I'd help Ace with those (see the same thread for talk on that).

An update could be done without any map changes though. The maps are mostly in a holding state until the 2.x version gets done since it requires updating all the maps. Any changes to them now would likely just be fixing bugs and slight tweaking, if that.

- Packaging would be no different than for 1.9.3, just with people doing packages for specific distros *in addition to* normal packaging.

- bluap would be the primary coder, it seems based on GIT commits. If you click the link to the list of updates in the first post, you'll see he's on board for this, and was even considering bringing up a new release himself. Odie's quiet but has voted yes above.

Ace is also on board. Radu is... as said, not originally planning a release but if there's enough interest we can do it.

The lack of activity in 1.x GIT would also be an indication that now's a good time to go ahead with this. The stuff that has been done is tested and seems stable, so no fixes have been necessary.

Yeah, ofc. Even if it is a "small" update it is still an update and would allow ppl to find new features to use so all good, go for it!

No, you would need to download a new version from the el site. This would contain all the fixes listed above.

More precisely: the client binary (the program that you run) might be the same as sir_odie's unofficial update, but an official update could also have e.g. map changes, that unofficial updates cannot provide (as those have to be supported by the server)

I've not done too many client updates in recent months because I've been busy with other stuff. However, I'm fully behind doing an official update and will help in the usual way as needed. I would also have time now if there are any additional changes wanted or needed before a new release. There are one or two data file updates in addition to the encyclopedia. The spells.xml which, along with a client change, fixes confusion of enhanced essences. Other additions are more optional like configurable colours for the mini-map and the configurable icon panel (with the option for right-click menus). I always use the latest development client so I can barely remember the 1.9.3 official client. Development builds of the client for Ubuntu and Debian packages are available and up to date.

Edited by bluap