Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Burn

2 Questions about the coming client

1) Is there some automated process converting the current 2d ground to 3d for the next version, or does each map have to be hand-converted?

(If the latter, would really like to see the new editor working, some of us could possibly help.)

2) Will the old 2d-ground maps still work in the next client? (I'm thinking about things like abandoned guild maps that noone will likely update.)

1. Since the new 3d terrain works totally different, there is no automated conversion from 2d tile based ground to 3d. The new 3d terrain is also not a simple height map for displacing, it is a vector displacement, so overhangs are possible. The maps must all be hand converted because of that, since many small objects are no longer needed. The sources are freely aviable, for binary builds for windows it's best to ask Sir_Odie, since I am busy enough with the coding :P
  2. The old maps all work/can be loaded. The new map format has support for multiple tile levels etc. and there is automatic conversion implemented, so old maps work without problem.

I feel a contradiction here:

- first you state that the old maps cannot be automatically converted,

- and next you state that the old maps are automatically converted on loading...

You can't have both be true at the same time...

Note that I can understand you want the maps hand converted to get the best results, but it sounds like

the conversion approaches a redesigning/redrawing of all the maps.

I believe he means there's no way to turn the current maps automatically into fully 3D terrain, which is what is desired for the next release. In order to achieve that desire, each map will have to be hand-edited.

However, it will still be able to handle the old (current) 2d terrain. This will allow things like guild maps to continue to work, but for the official maps it's desired to change the 2d terrain to 3d. It'll still be more or less reading it as 2d terrain, but not in a way that makes it easy to auto-convert to 3d.

("I believe" disclaimer - I'm unfamiliar with the exact workings of it, but it kinda makes sense here, enough that I don't need to know more at least... that the old map versions continue to work was all I needed to know.)

Thanks Burn, that is exactly what I meant. Sorry for my bad explanation, all the current maps will work without changes, but for the new features, like the 3d terrain etc. there is no automatic conversion.

So since guild maps wont be officially made into 3d is there an existing map editor program(windows) where i could make guild map from 2D to 3D myself?

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57082

Follow that thread about the coming version. It's in github under new_map_editor (how well it works unknown)

Sir_Odie seems to be making Windows binaries, posted further in the thread. Zip file he provides includes a map_editor, just unsure if it's the new one (no Win here).

If you can't compile yourself and Odie's binaries don't have the new editor, perhaps Odie could be encouraged to include it with his next build.

Ok tnx :) im useless when it comes to programming stuff but managed to open editor(looks way better that old one).. and thats it xD

so i hope and wait for not smart people-map editor version to come out