Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Gold for advertising

Gold for advertising  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor for selling gold coins to use the money for advertising?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

Lately we have much fewer website hits, mostly because there are a lot more MMOs out there than there were years ago. So in order to drive more traffic, we must advertise more. We constantly advertise on some site or another, but there are budget issues (we can only spend so much on advertising).

So I came up with this idea. Every month, auction a limited quantity of gold (say, 10Mgc or so), in 2Mgc increments. All the money generated via the gold coin sales would be used 100% for advertising. Are you in favor for this idea, or do you think that omfg, it is going to ruin the game and the universe?

Sure why not since players are doing it anyways. It is a 'shop item'.

hmmm i see the logic and it may be a good idea but we already have big ingame inflation problems with new players being priced out the market we could very well see people who want to play the game without purchacing shop items being priced out of the market alot more. I have said to people before one of the reasons we see alot less lower players on IP than we used to is because its simply getting too long winded to get started that the new players lose interest if its gunna take them an extra 2 months to afford their stuff we are going to lose even more. Just my thoughts but mayb more advertising would even out the noob problem who knows:)

We already have black market where people buy gcs.

And I would rather see the game owner get the real money from gc sales than other players.

Also 10 million gc isn't much compared to what enters the game every month anyway.

So sure why not?

However, if you eventually sell the 2 million for a 100 dollars (for example), people in "black market" will offer more than 2 million for that 100 dollars. Just something to think about.

But again, I have no objections.

I don't see why not, whether the gc is bought via unofficial means or produced through buying shop items to sell for gc it's not going to change the way people already enjoy using $ to influence their character progression.

Voted yes.

Anyting I can contribute to assist the game and get more bang for my buck is a bonus "win-win" for both the developer and my Character. Count me in.

Respectfully,

Tokie

Instead of gc why not auction a set # of rostos or other shop items?

Because I would like a NEW stream of money for advertising, and this is money that normally goes to the farmers.

voted yes. Curious though, what would be the rate?

Sounds like radu will make a post in the market or gen chat with an initial bid of $1 and whoever bids the most wins. So the rate would change depending on the players and who were interested each time.

I voted yes on this idea, but I think if it is added, we are going to need some new gc sinks.

I don't think there will be a need for new GC sinks, because:

1. There is about 100Mgc entering the game per month 'naturally', so this is just about 10%

2. Everyone complains about the lack of gold and how expensive things are :D

Do not forget this is less risky than paypal to player so gold coins sold by radu should be at a premium.

Seems like it's not really useful to vote here (at least for now):

less than 2.5 h after starting the poll, the first 2M gc are up for auction.

Finally Radu! :icon13:

You should have done this long time ago, I think it is a good idea because:

We already have black market where people buy gcs.

And I would rather see the game owner get the real money from gc sales than other players.

Also 10 million gc isn't much compared to what enters the game every month anyway.

+ this is for good cause (getting new players in game).

Edited by Devnul

Seems like it's not really useful to vote here (at least for now):

less than 2.5 h after starting the poll, the first 2M gc are up for auction.

At the time of my auction post, there was a significant sample rate of votes, and only 10% of the players disagreed, so there was no point in waiting, as there would have been no way for the No votes to change to under 50%

I love the idea of the el community helping advertise for the game this way.. just a few thoughts

The first auction is already at $110 with a whole day left. not everyone in the community has that much to spend to participate in this idea. if the auctioned value was cut in half to 1m it might give more people a chance to be a part of the auctions.

also IMO, there is enogh gold circulating to be adding more. i feel as if actual items such as raw material or resource packages were auctioned off equalling a market value of 1m gold would be more useful and get more people interested in bidding. packages could include he, sr, tele package (energy spirit matter), bar package (ore fire ess coal), feasting pots or even silver, iron, coal, sulfur, or flower packages or even a 1mgc package.. the list could go on

thoughts? concerns?

sorry for the goofy post, did this from my iPhone and dont know what happened lol

Edited by _RAH_

gold could just increase the values of hydro bars and nexus removals. also could create more spam on market looking for those items i mentioned above because of the abundance of gold to buy it.

at least with items, players can use or manufacture needed items or sell the items on the market filling some of the void of such popular items like i listed above.. making the market happier with a huge supply of he being sold say.. and making the hydro bar buyer work a little to make the gold to buy them. its win win

A lot of what new players do however is harvest, it's a easyer way to make gc to help lvl other skills and get books and sigs for magic, but if the market is flooded with those items mentioned above it can make it harder for new players to get there startup gc and make them leave the game early on instead of sticking it out

Again I would LOVE to buy 1-2 mill gc worth of anything you listed above but if it hurts the market for the new players then it is in no way worth it to me to do so

Edited by Orick

i see your point orick

however, new players dont make large quantities of resources that bigger players look for. im willing to bet one auction winner will want to buy something like 50k HE and struggle to find such a large quantity and resort to npc because the price is only slightly higher than what people sell on market for.. and if a huge quantity is bought from the npc that gold is outta the game and back to radu correct? if someone won a huge quantity of HE in an auction they'd probly keep some for themselves and sell the rest. they get their HE, gold, and multiple people still benefit from their auction win. same could go for any items won in an auction

plus, if 2m wont impact the market much as radu said, neither would 2m of items right?

also, if you look at the current auction, not many noobs are bidding on gold. if it were something they could mix for experience and sell for gold, they'd get more out of their dollar and you may see a more diverse group bidding in the auctions

Edited by _RAH_

gold could just increase the values of hydro bars and nexus removals. also could create more spam on market looking for those items i mentioned above because of the abundance of gold to buy it.

at least with items, players can use or manufacture needed items or sell the items on the market filling some of the void of such popular items like i listed above.. making the market happier with a huge supply of he being sold say.. and making the hydro bar buyer work a little to make the gold to buy them. its win win

Nope, rich players buy gold anyway so I don't believe the price of those good will rise any higher because of this. Especially hydro bars since NPC price controls it, they would be over 15k already otherwise, I think.

Miiks, hydro bars were just an example

and i think if you look at the unoff gold buying, there's no way 10m sells in a month so the auctions to raise money for advertising would trump gold sales on unoff.

plus, gold on unoff will still resume along with auctions

Sure there's more than 10M gold moving at month unofficial ways. I bet it's something between 10-20M per month.

Edit: Even on unofficial forums there's usually more supply than demand. And there surely is people who buy straight from few sellers without announcing it anywhere.

Edited by Miiks

so if there's more supply then demand why would everyone participate 5 times a month spending around 100 bucks each time for the auctions?

so if there's more supply then demand why would everyone participate 5 times a month spending around 100 bucks each time for the auctions?

To assist the game? If they really wanted to have the best gc/$ ratio it would be really easy to buy 2M from black market.