Eternal Lands Official Forums
Orick

When you were a nub

For a newbie its not stupidity, its those knowledgeable players taken advantage of those who are new.

Scamming newbies is forbidden.

Also some of the most used scamming ways have been already made impossible to use, for example total war (that was complete stupidity if you actually typed the combatant command without even hesitating to check what it does), MM battle hall PK rooms etc.

This only applies for under lvl 20 iirc. With dailies, that is passed too quickly for you to really learn everything you need to be safe.

This only applies for under lvl 20 iirc. With dailies, that is passed too quickly for you to really learn everything you need to be safe.

I agree with Grort... There are some new players in my guild that were only in the game for 3 days before they were lvl 20... I think it might be nice to up the lvl to the lowest starting invance lvl... Witch I think is 40

Edited by Orick

I

Actually I think there's no strict level for "being a newb" in this scamming case. Luckily the easiest ways to scam newbies have been made impossible as I said before. I don't see it as a big problem for newbies at this moment.

As a newbie I always liked the contests where I could get free stuff. Annatira was one who stands out who used to run them. I see a lack of them now.

I also liked believing that I could find a stone while harvesting. I also see quite a difference in this now. It's hard to find stones now. I haven't found a stone in a long time...and I don't think I am the only one who can say this. I agree with Oricks idea of the mini-events being quite painful to newbies.

I remember always wishing that there were more invasions that I could participate in with my levels. It always seemed like a mad dash to try to find something I could actually kill. By the time I got to where the monsters were originally spawned, they were pretty much dead. And in my desperation of trying to find something, common sense would become dulled and I would inevitably stumble upon a herd of yeti and die instantly. At a certain point, I just gave up on even going to invasions and just told myself I would try again once I got strong enough. I believe radu tried hard to stop the higher lvl players from swooping in stealing all of the invasion monsters, but I think more waves of lower level monsters would have been satisfying.

This takes me to channel 6. As a newbie I thought ch6 was supposed to be about where the invasion monsters were. I soon learned that it was the "in-crowd" channel *and* invasion info (and then the pk central has been added too). That blend of people tends to make channel 6 a bit intimidating/undesirable imo. Just like anywhere else..work, school, social life etc, some people like to be part of the "in-crowd" and some people don't. Maybe there needs to an invasion channel just for newbies. Also, I think another thing that goes unspoken is that some people don't want to post the info on channel 6 because if they do, it means more players come to the invasion and less mobs for them to fight. I think this goes to my point above - more waves of lower level monsters. I realize this is different now with capped monsters. I think now it works good where higher level players tell where the capped monsters are. That's great for newbies. Just need more lower lvl stuff that can be killed.

Lastly, it has always been frustrating to me that some news of the game is only broadcasted on channel 6. Official news, tips, hints etc should be available to all in a clear concise way, not for just "the in-crowd" or people willing to put up with topics like "who's more drunk" or wasted etc. I know most things are posted in the Update forum, but there have been some things that were not.

Anyway, I love this game and appreciate all the hard work that is put towards it. My overall theme to this message is: Newbies need "easy" not "hard".

Well, when i first started playing El i was pretty nooby. Still am compared to some people. Though back then when i played pk was normal. When i trained or Alched for Oa levels i really wanted to try this pk style, because i never played other games with the same style as this, i liked it anyways. To me when i was pking it was fun.. it was a relief from grinding, and if i did get a kill since some people did not have rostos at dpa i made some gc (Alot faster then harvesting, alching). Of course pk now specially Dpa would suck for noobs i would not suggest it.. and now theres other stuff like instances, and invances every noob wants to try, which is nice before all that was not there.

Which is why i think the 60-80 Instance, and maybe the 80-100 Instance (Even though idk if ppl would consider that newb levels) should be a bit more rewarding.. I mean yes we are noobs. Yes some of us are nowhere close to being as high oa or a/d as the pros (Other then Bkc). Though when i go with people to 60-80 Instance we usually go with a big group. Don't get me wrong its fun.. but it would be alot better if we got more in return. I've died in it.. i know others who have to. Its depressing and it sucks.. because as a noob a rosto is alot. Most of the times i went some people did not even have rostos.. Which kinda sucked. Im not saying make rostos cheaper for noobs. Though if the reward can be slighty better for nooby instance. People 4 man 120-400 and make ez 50k in an hour.. Go WTF can make crazy gold.

As a noob.. if you want to try an instance specially 60-80 its tough. Your forced to grind and harvest for decent armor and greatswords. Then higher magic level would help alot. We can't make that money off farming mobs like higher levels. You die once, or break an item (Since they dont have 48 toughness) then thats 1-2 weeks back in the mines.. Not really uh exciting.

Regardless, games good. Better then most other games. Tbh, one of the reasons why i started playing to was because it never had millions of people playing like WoW.. and because there was no memberships. I felt like if i worked hard enough i can be a pro.

Edited by ISnipe

Which is why i think the 60-80 Instance, and maybe the 80-100 Instance (Even though idk if ppl would consider that newb levels) should be a bit more rewarding.. I mean yes we are noobs. Yes some of us are nowhere close to being as high oa or a/d as the pros (Other then Bkc). Though when i go with people to 60-80 Instance we usually go with a big group. Don't get me wrong its fun.. but it would be alot better if we got more in return. I've died in it.. i know others who have to. Its depressing and it sucks.. because as a noob a rosto is alot. Most of the times i went some people did not even have rostos.. Which kinda sucked. Im not saying make rostos cheaper for noobs. Though if the reward can be slighty better for nooby instance. People 4 man 120-400 and make ez 50k in an hour.. Go WTF can make crazy gold.

As a noob.. if you want to try an instance specially 60-80 its tough. Your forced to grind and harvest for decent armor and greatswords. Then higher magic level would help alot. We can't make that money off farming mobs like higher levels. You die once, or break an item (Since they dont have 48 toughness) then thats 1-2 weeks back in the mines.. Not really uh exciting.

One of the biggest deterants to just increasing the drops in those two instances is because of alternative characters. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having multiple characters and experimenting with different builds and aspects of the game. I also think having a few alts in an instance can make it run more smoothly and help newer players learn to do them on their own.

However, there are a few problems. Iirc, the 60-80 instance is the only instance with a single available map. This means that only one team can be inside at a time. If the drops were increased to make it farmable by a team of alts, I doubt true newer players would get to go often because the map would always be full. Developers could increase the number of maps to fix this problem, but then there could be more teams of alts going and farming it so I don't necessarily think this is the best solution.

I think the biggest problem for actual new players as far as instances are concerned is obtaining the gear to go. The minimum acceptable gear in my opinion is a steel set with holam and a great sword. According to bots atm, gear costs are:

Holam: 62k

Steel Plate: 81k

Steel Cuisses: 33k

Steel Greaves: 25k

Great Sword: 40k

Mirror Cape: 14k (Tank only) or BP Cape: 3k (Fighters)

Short Bow: 2k

257kgc.

That is not including sigils for magic, training magic level (L49 highly recommended), resources, Rostogol Stones, AP for ranging, Mule Levels, or NMT cape if they can't afford the pp.

If you are a harv/mixer, that is on the order of 30-40 hours of focused gold coin making for someone who already knows what they are doing to get the base equipment needed to go. Alts typically have better gear sinec the players know what they need and how to make gold coins. Just increasing the drops won't get the newer players inside the instance. If you want more true newer players to go, there needs to be a much cheaper equipment alternative.

One of the biggest deterants to just increasing the drops in those two instances is because of alternative characters. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having multiple characters and experimenting with different builds and aspects of the game. I also think having a few alts in an instance can make it run more smoothly and help newer players learn to do them on their own.

However, there are a few problems. Iirc, the 60-80 instance is the only instance with a single available map. This means that only one team can be inside at a time. If the drops were increased to make it farmable by a team of alts, I doubt true newer players would get to go often because the map would always be full. Developers could increase the number of maps to fix this problem, but then there could be more teams of alts going and farming it so I don't necessarily think this is the best solution.

I think the biggest problem for actual new players as far as instances are concerned is obtaining the gear to go. The minimum acceptable gear in my opinion is a steel set with holam and a great sword. According to bots atm, gear costs are:

Holam: 62k

Steel Plate: 81k

Steel Cuisses: 33k

Steel Greaves: 25k

Great Sword: 40k

Mirror Cape: 14k (Tank only) or BP Cape: 3k (Fighters)

Short Bow: 2k

257kgc.

That is not including sigils for magic, training magic level (L49 highly recommended), resources, Rostogol Stones, AP for ranging, Mule Levels, or NMT cape if they can't afford the pp.

If you are a harv/mixer, that is on the order of 30-40 hours of focused gold coin making for someone who already knows what they are doing to get the base equipment needed to go. Alts typically have better gear sinec the players know what they need and how to make gold coins. Just increasing the drops won't get the newer players inside the instance. If you want more true newer players to go, there needs to be a much cheaper equipment alternative.

RM is right... I would like to add that possibly adding an xp bonus to lower lvl instances might make them worth more to new players, also making it less farmed by alts... and/or possibly adding another lower lvl instance that is easy to finish, can't have cooldown removed but has a small small chance to drop nice items but giving you a good xp bonus so it can't be farmed by alts

I agree with Grort... There are some new players in my guild that were only in the game for 3 days before they were lvl 20... I think it might be nice to up the lvl to the lowest starting invance lvl... Witch I think is 40

I can get a character to level 20 in under 3 hours. ;)

On another note, once libSDL 2.0 is stable, we can start working on having EL on android devices and iphones and then adware some income for the game along with mentioning the desktop client. We can even start on using libSDL 2.0 before it is stable. If we can shop from the EL shop using google account payments (may require using the google account password or something) we can boost the game sales. Of course, EL shop prices are way over the prices of a number of the "feed my character progression with $" sort of free android games.

Edited by nathanstenzel