Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Elf_Ninja

Thelinor PvP Betting Tavern

Warning Wall of Text!

Ok a few days ago I saw the make Thelinor tavern no drop thread and it got me to thinking about that topic. And I came up with a somewhat different idea to promote PvP. Here is my idea:

Have an NPC outside the Thelinor tavern. This NPC would work somewhat like the Battle Hall NPC as it will send players to an instance of the Thelinor PvP tavern but here is the catch. In order to go to the tavern players would have to buy a ticket to get in. There would be 4-5 different lvls of tickets. Along with the ticket a player would have to have platinum coins in their inventory. Here's how it might look:

Small Bet ticket- 100gc and player must have 1 platinum coin to enter

Medium Bet ticket- 200gc and player must have 5 platinum coins to enter

Large Bet Ticket- 300gc and player must have 10 platinum coins to enter

Pr0 Bet Ticket- 400gc and player must have 20 platinum coins to enter

Epic Bet ticket- 500gc an player must have 50 platinum coins to enter

The players wanting to PvP would then join a channel, like you would for an instance, stand in front of the npc, like instance, and then enter the betting arena of their choice. Once in players start in different random areas of the tavern and start an all out brawl, could be just 2 players could but up to ?? (dunno what a good limit is) As players die the only item droppable in the tavern are platinum coins. Players could either be teled back outside tavern after defeat or to underworld whichever is easiest. After all but the final player have died when he picks up the final platinum death bag he is teled out to NPC.

Some additional notes:

If possible there could also be different categories of PvP betting ie: anything goes, no summon map or no cool-down map. More could be created or programmed if a few initial ideas are popular enough ie: old school armor and weapons, Fistycuffs brawl(no armor no weapons), PvP brawl with Chimmy spawns!

Players could have any number of platinum coins between the different ranges in inventory but not more so say you did small ticket you could have up to 4 coins in inventory and if you die your drop all 4. But if you had 5 coins it would not let you in. (not sure if this is possible programming wise but would be good) Then for Epic Bet ticket players could have unlimited coins, but would drop whatever they have when the die.

Platinum coins could possibly be added as random rare drop to lenny/badaran/nenocrit along with being purchasable from Tavern NPCs

Promotes PvP with alittle bonus to players making it fun to try different attacks and builds against each other, having mulitiple players in same tavern makes it fun as short alliances form then break as battle nears an end.

Makes it possible to host PvP events in a safe environment, has the potential of growing into larger scale battle ideas if it is popular enough and if the programming works (guild vs guild maps, multi guild battle maps)

Could have it's own ranking system similar to the pk points thing but with battles lost and won in tavern and the bet lvl considered. Daily, Weekly, Monthly. Ie: Elf_Ninja - 3 Small bet wins today, 7 this week, 9 this month and 1 Big bet win. (some formula could be made to calc the average etc. with more weight on higher arena wins)

This system is totally up to the players to make it popular, but various events could be used push the popularity.

Possible Issues:

Not sure if platinum coins can be made to be the only item dropped out of an inventory, but we know that is now possible to set certain items as droppable and none droppable

Players in the same guild would be unable to attack each other

Players of fully allied guilds would be unable to attack each other

Flame on!

I likes it, as I told you when you pitched it to me ;)

But thelinor tarvern is rather small, so I'd limit it to about 6-8 players max :D Even then, it would be really crowded

+1

I likes it, as I told you when you pitched it to me ;)

But thelinor tarvern is rather small, so I'd limit it to about 6-8 players max :D Even then, it would be really crowded

+1

:) Perhaps the tavern has some basement lvls it could open up for this ;) providing a range of small to mid maps to battle on :D

Maybe you can have instance map of thelinor tarvern, egretia point magic school (mentioned in a previous PK arena suggestion iirc) and TG Crypts. This gives 3 different maps, requiring different tactics :D

I like idea of floors too :icon13:

AMazing idea

maybe inside the areana make allies and guild members are attackable

dropping of the plat coin is great idea too, radu could make that a shop only item to make it a finacialy viable idae

dropping of the plat coin is great idea too, radu could make that a shop only item to make it a finacialy viable idae

:bangwall: They're not used, keep them as purchasable from taverns. Don't make people have to pay $ to PK

:bangwall: They're not used, keep them as purchasable from taverns. Don't make people have to pay $ to PK

PK is free already :D

they could be like the Haidir pass currently, where all in game are curently from EL shoppe

totaly inexpensiv maybe half a dollar (sory dont know the american coin value ) for 10 or so,

there shold be more use for plat coin (but that is a new thread in itslef :) )

More use for play coin, but how often do non-newbies get stuff out of a tarvern... very little. Buying plat coins in taverns, like you can now, but with plats having use would be good, making the building more than just scenery and people wanting vermin exterminated.

I'd suggest Melanis tavern - it is much larger, is on major trade routes, rings are available there and not used by any quests.

Wait....were platinum coins 100gc or 1,000gc or 10,000 gc for the price in taverns? I think 1,000gc, but it has been quite a while.

Those bets would be 1kgc worth to 50kgc worth if it is 1kgc value. That is alot of money to bet, I think.

There might not be a need for an additional gc fee for the bet. You don't get the full purchase price back when you cash them out.

If you make platinum coins always drop in arenas (or maybe everywhere), no other programming would be necessary.

If you make an arena in a different room, but visible from outside and use a planinum coin on a box or something to enter it, the only thing you would need to worry about is invisible players (which you can check for with truesight pots before going in).

That I know of, you can turn on and off magic and summoning for map regions. That sounds quite doable.

Plat coins are 1k to buy from NPC, and if you trade them back, less; something like 800-900 gc.

Tbh i think just use plat coins for it. & dont shut off thel tavern, make a copy of it it for 'Bar Fights' Team PK matches.

Small is good, you cant shy away from the fight. Also think, this is one money sink that'd also be epic for tanks/mages/summoners. There advantages would be great.

I'd suggest Melanis tavern - it is much larger, is on major trade routes, rings are available there and not used by any quests.

The tarvern isn't used for quests, is already PK. It is also only a few trips from idaloran (Ida->NRM->Thelinor), making it close to the underworld, so people downed can quickly get back to have a rematch

PK is free already :D

they could be like the Haidir pass currently, where all in game are curently from EL shoppe

totaly inexpensiv maybe half a dollar (sory dont know the american coin value ) for 10 or so,

there shold be more use for plat coin (but that is a new thread in itslef :) )

While yes I agree PK is already free, This is an attempt to boost the popularity of getting people out there and doing it. I'm not completely opposed to there being some kind of shop value to this idea i think it would be a mistake to make it the platinum coin.

Perhaps a better way for the EL shop to make money off this would be to sell tickets to the other types or variations of pvp instance maps that are made. IE: make the original basic set purchasable with ingame gc and make a more advanced set that perhaps takes more programming and time and make those into having to use a shop based ticket, like you want to do a Big bet and have it on a map that summons chims you would need the big bet ticket and a shop ticket.

Wait....were platinum coins 100gc or 1,000gc or 10,000 gc for the price in taverns? I think 1,000gc, but it has been quite a while.

Those bets would be 1kgc worth to 50kgc worth if it is 1kgc value. That is alot of money to bet, I think.

There might not be a need for an additional gc fee for the bet. You don't get the full purchase price back when you cash them out.

If you make platinum coins always drop in arenas (or maybe everywhere), no other programming would be necessary.

If you make an arena in a different room, but visible from outside and use a planinum coin on a box or something to enter it, the only thing you would need to worry about is invisible players (which you can check for with truesight pots before going in).

That I know of, you can turn on and off magic and summoning for map regions. That sounds quite doable.

Yes the platinum coins cost 1100 gc and are bought for 900gc making the approx. worth 1k, While yes it is a tax to buy the coin and a slight tax to get a ticket personally i think that's needed. Over time the purchase of coins from the npc will lvl out or decline as there will be more ingame, while the tickets will stay the same and provide a gc sink. Players will also decide what the platinum coins are ultimately worth as it can be a trading commodity as well.

While the idea of making the platinum coin always droppable is a good one i don't think it promotes pvp the same way as your not required to take them onto a map if you don't want to, this way forces you to if your wanting to enter the instance of the pk tavern.

While the idea of making the platinum coin always droppable is a good one i don't think it promotes pvp the same way as your not required to take them onto a map if you don't want to, this way forces you to if your wanting to enter the instance of the pk tavern.

Indeed on the general pk maps, but I was not sure if Radu would be able to turn on/off the dropping of platinum coins per map. Gold coins used to drop on any map before though and platinum coins are only used by the silly, so I don't think it would be a bad thing to have platinum coins drop outside of the tavern.

I know there is a certain difficulty in anything that requires additional programming, which is why I was trying to make sure that 0-1 changes would be required outside of a special map design.

If platinum coins currently drop (I know gold coins no longer drop, but I never heard if platinum coins would), a player with map editor skills and $ to blow could implement the pk betting tavern on a guild/personal map using the suggestions I have posted.

I'll test platinum coins, give me a sec :P

Plats do drop, dropped mine on 2nd #suicide

& about the implementing of it on guild map, maybe get someone to update an existing one. I know LotS has one, not sure if Elfers would want to implement the tavern there, since it'd would mean making a few more rooms, and a corridor to go either to Tavern or the actual guildmap.

EDIT: Tested Plats drops, but in result

Edited by JoeButler

I think it would work better if it was a proper arena run by the game, not a player. And elf suggested that it is only plats that drop, so your nice BD set and NMT won't drop. In guildmaps, afaik, you are not allowed Non-drop arenas, so it would just be auggie battles....

I think it would work better if it was a proper arena run by the game, not a player. And elf suggested that it is only plats that drop, so your nice BD set and NMT won't drop. In guildmaps, afaik, you are not allowed Non-drop arenas, so it would just be auggie battles....

If guildmaps can't have non-drop pk areas then it will have to be an official location then....or the only safe gear would be non-drop gear.

JoeButler, were you in a drop map or a non-drop map when the platinum coins dropped?

Does not need to just be augies. Steel chain, shield and helm work well and non-dropable. In fact use it in some invasions now when it is possible things go from fun to ugly.

Does not need to just be augies. Steel chain, shield and helm work well and non-dropable. In fact use it in some invasions now when it is possible things go from fun to ugly.

I have done PK in cheap stuff, the fights are short, especially if you bring in a short bow and FA... This suggestion would be funner if you could go into the tarvern with the stuff you take into KF... It would still be best if origina idea was implemented, because what will happen is rich people who can afford to wander in with rosto will go in a pwn the non-drop wearing fighters, which already happens, making this idea pointless. An ingame NPC run PK instance that means only plats drop, so you can wear good kit in, would be better.

p.s. 200 posts :D

I have done PK in cheap stuff, the fights are short, especially if you bring in a short bow and FA... This suggestion would be funner if you could go into the tarvern with the stuff you take into KF... It would still be best if origina idea was implemented, because what will happen is rich people who can afford to wander in with rosto will go in a pwn the non-drop wearing fighters, which already happens, making this idea pointless. An ingame NPC run PK instance that means only plats drop, so you can wear good kit in, would be better.

p.s. 200 posts :D

Grats on your 200 posts bro... This is something I think that would be better as an organized event... I will be bringing back fight club once my guild map is put ingame... We will have events in areas where people can come and watch and it will be in a controlled way where people can put down some bets... As for a place for it, it would have to be controlled in such a way that a mod would have to be present to keep control of the fights

Still don't see why we can't have NPC run place doing this, instead of javing to rely on events...

It would be nice to not need to rope in a mod, since it requires alot of future planning, and if map was open to events like that, unless you make arena onlu accessible via certain key-used-on-objects, telling people you trust the keys, and have non magic area in spectator zone, to prevent ttr into arena and wipe out combatants, as i think a few people would do.

And events are only last so long, an NPC would be more convenient AND more proactive.