Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Devnul

Y'all coders please reply - Programing on Windows/Linux/Android.

Hello,

Please advise about bellow question. I will really appreciate if you share your experience with me. Thank you very much.

What is the most sufficient/popular/powerful programming language for bellow operating systems. If more than one, please put in line from highest to lowest priority. Thank you.

MS Windows:

Linux:

Android:

ach... such question cannot be answered. It highly depends on both, the definition of "powerful" and the actual task(s) you want to address.

Arguably C/C++ is one of the most versatile languages around. It has also the advantage to be available practically for every system you might want to programme for, thus allows platform independent programming.

Edited by Elke

If you're going to work with Android, the default is Java since that is the top most layer that is easily available before you start getting into the guts of it.

42?

More seriously, if you're looking for performance and if you are an experienced programmer, then C/C++ is the good choice and is available on the 3 platforms. However, making a code that can work on the 3 platforms is a bit tricky.

If you are more interested by reducing the coding time, then prefer Java.

It takes alot to program things in C++. It is powerful, but will take alot of code. Flexibility also takes alot of code. It must be compiled for each platform.

Python is the programming language that I currently use for work and for most of my (rare anymore) personal programming project. It is very flexible, but does not provide much speed unless you use a python module that uses bindings to libraries that were compiled from C++ or some other language. Python is a language that has a built in compiler, so as long as you can find the bindings you need for speed for the platform, you should be set. Python is used for writing a number of games anymore. Functionality per lines of code is really high for Python, so you can do something in 6 lines of code that would otherwise take thousands of lines of code.

Graphics programming always depends on the graphics libraries themselves and not necessarily the programming languages themselves. You may actually find bindings for multiple programming languages for some really good graphics libraries.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. Now I have some kind of point of view where I should start.

Since I was learning C during the studies and have some basics, I decided to improve that and look forward into C++. :bangwall:

Once again big thank you for tips. If you fell you can share more, you are more than welcome. :icon13:

Well, if you are going to do C++, I suggest you study class overrides and polymorphism.

You could, for instance say how class A interacts with class B for a certain operation. A+B for example.

Class inheritance and class function overriding is good too.

Good luck learning C++ and keeping yourself away from trying to set data at a null pointer location. (always initialize your pointers and destroy when done)