Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Burn

Sly Fox (Let's Go All the Way)

(If you're a child of the 80's, I just got a song stuck in your head with that title. *ebul*)

As seen with True Sight:

slyfox.png

Stats: Same as Fox, just invisible (in the same manner as invisible rats are just rats)

Availability: Daytime hours (opposite of Lenny)

Location: Any map, changes maps occasionally (can be c1 or c2, invisible so even IP could be used)

Coding Requirements: Should be fairly simple, as most everything is already technically coded. Map jumping already done in Lenny code (though c1 can be added), reverse the time Lenny is available to show fox (fox can appear when Lenny goes to sleep and vice versa), and hopefully the invisible part is simple enough to implement, as was done on rats.

Purpose: Like Lenny hunting, but most anyone can participate. Requires True Sight to find so gives more use to those potions and magic. Provides a regular "hunt" people can participate in that most anyone can do so long as they can afford the TS, as it's a low-level creature.

Reward: a standard drop, and a rare drop (think similar to Joker)

- Standard drop should be good, considering the amount spent on TS and time it would take to hunt. Though not enough to make it "farmable" or worth hunting in itself. The hope should be to get the rare drop. Standard would just be "partial compensation" for the time and TS.

- Rare drop should be something also available by other means (not exclusive to fox), but valuable. (Like Joker has rare chance of a nexus stone.)

* I provide no suggestions on what should be dropped as this may need to be tweaked to ensure it doesn't become a game distraction or farmable. Except:

- An addition: Maybe a 1/50 chance it'll drop a grape along with the standard or rare drop. (If it's determined more grapes are needed.)

Reasoning:

- "Hunting" things in the game is fairly limited, so this would provide something that could be regularly hunted. It takes time for Lenny hunters to find him, so an invisible fox that can possibly be on either continent would prove even more of a hunting challenge. (Much more so... being non-agressive there'll be no tell-tale creature drop bags lying around hinting he may be on the map like happens with Lenny.)

- Being a low-level creature, the only necessity being True Sight, this opens the hunt to a large amount of the EL population.

- Chose fox instead of the already-made rats as those already exist regularly in-game and this should be distinct both from those and invisible rat invasions.

- Daytime only as he has an unnatural Fear of the Dark. (See how I tossed an Iron Maiden reference in there? ;-) )

-- More practically, this separates it from Lenny hunting so Lenny hunters don't also become the de facto primary fox finders

- Provides a regular use for True Sight

- C1, even IP, can be included as he's invisible and non-agressive, so newbies will be none the wiser if he's nearby. Thus, he also won't be a distraction to regular gameplay regardless of the map he's on.

- Could be something for people leveling Phoenix to do while getting it leveled, with its regular True Sight.

Edited by Burn

I think this is a very good idea, hope to see it soon in game.

if it wouldnt be worth the hunting probs no1 would hunt it, just the pear hunters and the guys that lvls up magic with MI

if it wouldnt be worth the hunting probs no1 would hunt it, just the pear hunters

It would probably be mostly done by joker/lenny/pear hunters, unfortunately :wacko:

So whatever the rare drop is, it shouldn't be worth much, maybe around the price of a bronze sword (tops, imo)

be interesting to see implemented though

Edited by Grort

if it wouldnt be worth the hunting probs no1 would hunt it, just the pear hunters

It would probably be mostly done by joker/lenny/pear hunters, unfortunately :wacko:

So whatever the rare drop is, it shouldn't be worth much, maybe around the price of a bronze sword (tops, imo)

be interesting to see implemented though

It should be worth so little that *noone* wants to do it, just because you would refuse to? There's nothing limiting it to such a small group, I intentionally suggested it to be open to a large number to do. Just that you won't doesn't change that.

This suggestion is the equivalent of suggesting Bulas and such drop at most 2kgc. Something that's "mostly free" (finding Joker) has a rare nexus stone chance but something this possibly-costly gets essentially nothing. Not even close to making a useful suggestion.

Something that low would be done by noone at all. The time and TS involved in such a huge task is a lot greater than you seem to think.

It wouldn't be "interesting to see implemented" with such a low reward as noone would deem it worth the time and cost.

Edited by Burn

OK, so can you suggest what the 'standard drop' would be? Perhaps i did set it to low, but comparing to a bula is unfair, as you do need to invest in you character and get good stuff to kill it, whereas you've said this fox should be doable for anyone, therefore i thought i cheap-ish item.

Maybe make true sight pot/spell last bit longer if implemented. (Don't know what the price of them are, but searching both continents/all maps, i assume you'd need alot).

And i probably would do it, for a bit at least. I never said i would or would not :)

I just thought it would end with a small group of elite hunters and people would be put of, as has happened with other implementations, and don't want to see a rept of it, maybe limiting it only being killed once per EL #day.

I hope you found this post more satisfactory ;)

OK, so can you suggest what the 'standard drop' would be?

As I said in the very first post:

* I provide no suggestions on what should be dropped as this may need to be tweaked to ensure it doesn't become a game distraction or farmable.

This thread is to suggest the creature itself and how it works. The only person who can decide what it could or should drop in order to keep balance is Radu, thus this thread is not for the discussion of its drops.

More valuable is information on the difficulty involved, so he can make a better determination of that. Which is why I wrote:

- It takes time for Lenny hunters to find him, so an invisible fox that can possibly be on either continent would prove even more of a hunting challenge. (Much more so... being non-agressive there'll be no tell-tale creature drop bags lying around hinting he may be on the map like happens with Lenny.)

Finding Lenny on C2, visible with tell-tale creature kill bags, can be time-consuming. Finding an invisible creature, with no bags, on either continent, will be probably one of the most difficult things to do in the game. We've had invisible rats for almost 2 days before, despite some of the regular hunters like myself and Angler searching for them. 2 days.

We're not talking about something simple here.

maybe limiting it only being killed once per EL #day.

You're lost on the purpose of this, that is to have something that's more regularly huntable. People who enjoy hunting are already limited by rare occasions. The entire purpose of this is to add something that's regularly huntable, people can just say "I'm tired of mixing, I'll go hunt a while" on a whim and be able to.

And if you think hunting doesn't take time and effort to perfect, well... I'll see you on the next week's worth of pear hunts. It's cute you think hunters just "happened upon" our skill just because there's no leveling involved. But I'm not getting into that again.

We add things regularly for people leveling skills, fighters, and so on. Hunting is something that can be done, but doesn't have anything in the game for it of a more open nature. THAT is the point. Leave the drops to Radu to decide.

Edited by Burn

I will say: Hunting is not for me, BECAUSE it's not just something you can do on a whim... you need time, and patience.

I have ALWAYS hated looking for things, it goes back to being a kid... yeah when we played hide and seek, I HATED being "it". :/

it's a good suggestion though. I am friends with a lot of people who like to hunt for things, so just because this is not for me (something I would only do like 5 times a year...), I can see quite a few people that would be interested in this.

OK, so can you suggest what the 'standard drop' would be?

As I said in the very first post:

* I provide no suggestions on what should be dropped as this may need to be tweaked to ensure it doesn't become a game distraction or farmable.

This thread is to suggest the creature itself and how it works. The only person who can decide what it could or should drop in order to keep balance is Radu, thus this thread is not for the discussion of its drops.

More valuable is information on the difficulty involved, so he can make a better determination of that. Which is why I wrote:

- It takes time for Lenny hunters to find him, so an invisible fox that can possibly be on either continent would prove even more of a hunting challenge. (Much more so... being non-agressive there'll be no tell-tale creature drop bags lying around hinting he may be on the map like happens with Lenny.)

Finding Lenny on C2, visible with tell-tale creature kill bags, can be time-consuming. Finding an invisible creature, with no bags, on either continent, will be probably one of the most difficult things to do in the game. We've had invisible rats for almost 2 days before, despite some of the regular hunters like myself and Angler searching for them. 2 days.

We're not talking about something simple here.

maybe limiting it only being killed once per EL #day.

You're lost on the purpose of this, that is to have something that's more regularly huntable. People who enjoy hunting are already limited by rare occasions. The entire purpose of this is to add something that's regularly huntable, people can just say "I'm tired of mixing, I'll go hunt a while" on a whim and be able to.

And if you think hunting doesn't take time and effort to perfect, well... I'll see you on the next week's worth of pear hunts. It's cute you think hunters just "happened upon" our skill just because there's no leveling involved. But I'm not getting into that again.

We add things regularly for people leveling skills, fighters, and so on. Hunting is something that can be done, but doesn't have anything in the game for it of a more open nature. THAT is the point. Leave the drops to Radu to decide.

Man, stop assuming stuff. the #day thing i meant as the killer can only kill it once per #day, given others a chance.

I know pear hunters take time on skill, but i don't want this to be another hunt that you need 100,000s of gc to throw at to have any chance. I said there would probably become an elite group who hone their skills. I didn't say they happen over night. I've even talked to you about how to get into pear hunting. Think ;)

Making it invisible on two continents is for it to be a bigger challenge for lenny hunters, but you make the a/d small and say its accessible to everyone... they seem at odds to each other to me.

Wasn't asking you to tell us Drop A must be dropped, just a suggestion so we know around about what price you think the drop should be, so we know the price range.

I agree there should be more to do things than just punch stuff. We agree there.

If implemented, maybe attach an NPC who tells the story of how a fox became invisible, to make it blend into the lore of EL. Probably something to do with the magic gods experiments.

it's not exactly "the same hunters" now and wouldn't be with this either. you don't see Dana find joker every day, you don't see Angler finding pears every day, and to this day i never found a treasure. people do specialize and someone would do it the most, but that's not any downside

i don't like the idea myself, but i see some of the people i know enjoying it VERY MUCH

if it wouldn't be much profitable it could teleport sometimes and post it on channel "i don't feel safe here i'll go someplace else", or whatever and avoid someone really using up gc to look in c1 when it's at ida the whole time, because that would not be fun for the lower level people. you do get all the benefits of daylight tho so it shouldn't give up any more hints except for dying

takes 2500 gc to TS an hour with potions at current bot price, 7600 gc with spell - but you do get the lovely magic experience and that would be a first step to make the active magic training in the lower levels any kind of fun.. i think it's only slightly less cost effective than shield spam

.. so.. hunting it all day wouldn't be that expensive if you decided to make some potioner miserable with order of 1k true sight potions and all these non-stacking antlers. did i fence off all the cons?

if you really need to see reward options before you say it's a good idea grort, i think it could be something that would actually be much more valuable to lower level players, like Sly Fox Fur - if that would be the creature - that you can trade in to an NPC for 5000 magic exp every time you have one

Edited by malameo

Sly Fox Fur - if that would be the creature - that you can trade in to an NPC for 5000 magic exp every time you have one

Items that give experience are a great add-on to the original idea, I like it

This:

Rare drop should be something also available by other means (not exclusive to fox)

was in the suggestion for a reason. We've already seen the whining over some supposedly exclusive group getting other completely unique 1-place-only items in the game.

I won't let my suggestion go that way.

Under no circumstances should the rare drop be only available by this means. I'm not gonna suggest something that starts that kind of whiny crap all over again, nor allow my suggestion to be dragged into that hellhole of a territory.

This suggestion comes as-is, with absolutely no new items. There's more than enough rare items in-game that could be expanded into this, avoiding the whinefest that is guaranteed to ensue if it was something unique.

Because in order for anyone to actually want to hunt it, there'd have to be something remotely useful?

You may find hours of TS and hunting worth only 100 fox fur, but... I'm thinking you're in the minority there.

And I'm not quite sure what's wrong with people nitpicking over what gets dropped anyway. That's radu's decision, not anyone here.

*bump* ;-)

With a ton of map work getting fixed (as I'm going through cleaning up every map of bad walkable tiles and such), new implementation could be used after the updated client is released.

That is, unlike Lenny who has specific spawn points, with cleaned up maps the Sly Fox could spawn in any walkable location on any map, given a list of outdoor maps to randomize appearances on. Assuming I'm not perfect and end up missing a bad spot or two, chances of specifically spawning there would be close to the chance of winning the lottery (hehe), and that he can change maps after a while like Lenny does wouldn't keep him there too long anyway.

So basically there'd also be no specific spawn points to possibly check.

If such a creature was created I think there should be some telltale signs like occasional drop bag appearing in area with fruit, etc only occuring when no character is in site. Of course that could also occur because a player did it but by making it occur when no character is in site it makes it also possible that a player did it allowing for wild goose chases.