Eternal Lands Official Forums
nathanstenzel

double(or triple) the precision of x,y and allow chars to move by half of a current step

Ever notice that there is either a large gap or intimate closeness when you sit on a bench with other people? I think doubling the x,y precision of the game will fix the problem. If you can sit half a space away from someone, there would be a comfortable social gap between you and the other person.

The game would have to disallow someone from being within 1 square of each other. They would have to be 2(or 3) squares away.

One side effect of this is that for what is currently a 2 square wide walkway, a person or monster could block it by standing in the middle when you have double the current precision. Some walkways might be recalculated to more than x2 (or x3) the amount of current squares.

The increased precision would make a small change in the strategy for invances/invasions/etc and would allow things like archery slits. It would also take the game away from having a chessboard type tile placement system which would greatly increase the realism of the game and make the terrain system more effective when it is put in place.

Optionally, damage could be reduced for some mines/caltrops if the damaged person/critter did not land directly on it and the sizes of those could be adjusted.

Oh....and rats and smaller things could probably slip away from you easier since you are big and they are small and take up less spaces. That might have to wait longer though unless Radu can get the server code changed so critters actually take up more space. If he can make that change, this whole thing might be alot more likely to happen.

I notice you got this idea after i sat right next to you on the bench in the FRR, DP. :D

You could have just told me to move on one. :P

Seriously though i do think it is a good idea and should be looked into..

This is a pretty drastic change to simply make characters not sit to close together.

The terrain design is pretty much independent from the tile system. Ground textures and objects can be placed anywhere within a tile and can overlap tiles too. In the maps only the heightmap including the walkable information relies on tiles.

you need to go outside more if you get discomfortable sitting close to someone in a game O.o

Edit: can always #abuse the person for sexual harassment ofc

Edited by Infamous

Trust me, it is not the first time I had the idea. It just reminded me of the idea I already had. Currently, the game feels too much like a chess board with the players usually being oversized chess pieces.