Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stronze

EL on a tablet?

im wanting to get a tablet so i can play EL on the move.

the 3 main OS options for tablets are

windows

andriod

apple

now i did find that ubuntu can be installed on the nexus 7 but not the nexus 10. (different chip sets)

for me the nexus 7 is just to small of a screen and i refuse to support mircosoft or apple.

is there a way for EL to run native on an andriod tablet?

I have a post about this on the development section of the forums.

SDL2.0 and OpenGL ES2.0 are the most likely to get EL onto Android systems. EL needs a rewrite to OpenGL 2.0 with a restriction of only using the functions available to OpenGL ES 2.0 and android support will be alot more likely using SDL2.0 in my opinion.

If you wait about 6-12 months, you might be able to play EL on an android device. Till then, not much chance.

For apple tablets, you have to specify IOS (like on the Iphones) or OSX. OSX is alot more likely to support EL, since laptops can use it. I don't know what OpenGL varients are available on IOS devices.

For Windows tablets, there is also a question of what OpenGL varients are availble. It would be rather simple to try to see if EL will run on Windows tablets. I do not know if EL has been used on Windows8 yet though.

It might be worth noting that you should be able to install Linux on almost anything with an ARM processor. Having SDL support for stuff and custom compiling things to go with it though is another matter. As for me, I was playing around with the Raspberry Pi, but didn't mess with it for a bit because I was waiting for others to finish SDL 2.0 and make sure it worked on the Raspberry Pi. Someone that is active on the development list does have the Raspberrry Pi.

Well, I hope my two cents help. Later.

We MIGHT be able to have a Linux OpenGL ES version sometime in the future, so it would be playable on Nexus 7 with Ubuntu. Other than that, you can consider using some programs that allow you to see your PC screen on the tablet.

i was thinking that with nexus 7 with latest ubuntu install, EL would install and run just like a desktop/laptop but seems i was wrong :omg:

nathanstenzel ~ i read that posting but i was under the assumption it was running EL on a smart phone.

entropy ~ if you can design an EL client to run native on andriod tables and listed on the app market, i could forsee a large influx of more players but i know nothing of this area so i could be whistling dixie.

The problem is, tablets and phones have very underpowered GPUs. So the game will not work really well. But the new engine SHOULD work on OpenGL ES with some modifications.

i was in the area of best buy and tried to install EL client on windows 8 tablet.

seems it doesnt read .zips .exe

for giggles i tried ipad to but that was a lost cause.

Edited by Stronze

did some googling.

windows 8 RT wont read .exe but windows 8 pro will from what i googled.

ill test again when im near that area again

Edited by Stronze

Windows 8 RT is ARM based

http://www.howtogeek.com/116637/htg-explains-what-is-windows-rt-what-does-it-mean-to-me/

Wow. MicroShaft locked out all applications that are not approved to go on their appstore. It is essentially a copycat of the iPad setup.

If you were to get EL running on that Windows 8 RT system, it sounds like you would have to find an emulator app on their appstore.