Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Making gold undropable

I am in favor of making gc so that you don't drop it and of using popups to warn before a person reaches the level where they start dropping things.

imo a bit of danger/possible drop is good, no need to make some items undroppable.

or a better solution would be #godmode for newbs untill level 40? if the only risk is gonna be sent to UW w/o losing anything might aswell change that too.

will this pave the way to undroppable dragon armors/thermals without the need of rosto's? :P

newbies learn quicker by making mistakes though, if they lose something they'll be prepared better next time.

besides if some stuff for newbs is undroppable that will just make them wonder later on "wtf why my steel chain drop?!?"

better if they learn the hard way early on with cheap leather stuff.

One thing to consider on my opinion: If you still drop 50% of your slots, will the 100% include the non-dropable things. This would mean if you go harvest with 10 gc, 1 leather helm, 1 excavator cape and 1 pickaxe and get punched by some evil radon, as gc and leather helm aren't droppable, the dropped stuff would certainly be excavator cape and pickaxe. As a new player i'd rather drop my 10 gc instead of my excavator cape. So the risk is that the chance to drop his good stuff is even raised while he can't drop his newb equipment.

It should at least be implemented in the way that only 50% of the dropable stuff is droped. Then he still has a 50% chance to keep his excavator cape. Probably it was planned to be implemented like that in the first point... Just to be sure...

If anything is made undropable the effect should be canceled inside of PK areas, the red warning spam should be enough, that way PK won't suffer another blow it can ill afford

rokk if you are so poor you cant afford to lose a few newbies leather armors and what small amount of gold they might carry to pk I really wonder how you get by.

Surely your EL income is not dependent on newbies dying in PK?

Also for most part newbies would never drop anything in pk as most pk areas they go to would be non-drop anyway.

As far as the drop maps that are pk, maybe you are right, not for the EL economy--that it is dependent on newbies deaths is ridiculous.

However, if newbies can harvest say, in NOrdcam pk cave without losing much it could create a false sense of security. However, it would difficult to fully warn them that

in this particular map they can lose stuff they would not in others (and other pk-drop maps as well)

It would mean an addition to warning for newbies stating that in this map they could drop any item in inventory, that there was no newbie protection.

Which would be more stuff to read but doable.

Edited by yethq

Yethq it seems you have missread Radus origional post, he proposses not to make newbies gold undroppable but all players gold, PK areas are dangerous places and shouldn't be cheapened by making items undropable.

and how many people who are not newbies are stupid enough to carry a significant amount of gold with them to go into pk. I mean really, how stupid could you get?

Is there good reasons to carry a lot of gold to NCA? None that I can see, unless Pkers in general like to add to their risk of loss. So how much will you lose?

Generally what you gain is not gold but things to sell for gold coin.

Anyway, you misread me too, I did say that perhaps you are correct about newbies not being safe in pk areas, since I think it creates a false and unnatural sense of security in them.

However, there is also a good reason to implement Radu's idea there as well, since they might possibly be more inclined to try PK if they would not lost their gear.

Which would be a boon to PK. So there I present arguments for and against, but my own opinion is that the idea is good and should be tried.

Edited by yethq

Yethq your facetious comments are unnecessary as i like most others like the idea, just leave PK alone.

fa·ce·tious

adjective \fə-ˈsē-shəs\

Definition of FACETIOUS

:
joking or jesting often inappropriately
:
<just being
facetious
>

:
meant to be
or funny
:
not serious <a
facetious
remark

My comments were neither jesting, meant to be humorous nor inappropriate. Why rokk takes offense and puts down another (with an inappropriate adjective since it does not reflect my the nature of my comments at all) just because I disagree is beyond me. I still fail to see how much funds you would lose by not getting level 40 and below gear and gold in non-drop pk maps. If they happen to be wearing any type of armor worth a lot, such a newbie in ice dragon armor or a steel set even, it is my understanding they would still lose it....only plain leather armor and gold and cheap stuff like that is protected. So why so much resistance even in pk areas. Seems to me those of you who love to pk would actually welcome the change since a few more newbies might be willing to go and practice pk-ing knowing they will not lose their gear. However even that is not really a big thing as mostly they can do that in no-drop pk areas......Really I am very much interested in hearing if most PKers are heavily reliant on drops of cheap gear and gold from players under level 40. This would be important to know if we are considering this. I really doubt it myself.

1. Radu already covered the PK implications of this change in the first post "Most of the time people don't carry gold with them in PK areas or during training, so this won't change much".
  2. The change is mostly so new players can venture into Naralik for books, White stone at night for sigils, etc.. A 500 gc leather set is a lot of money for a new player . We need to keep the new players from giving up too quickly.
  3. Let's stop arguing before this change never happens.

I support the idea, I think the game is better when more people play, so we should think about how to keep people playing for longer. I don't know if undroppable gold or no item drops before a certain level would be more effective, Radu presumably has access to the info that can answer that question, but my hunch is that no item drops before an advanced-ish level would work, because it would eliminate disappointment completely until players have already learnt how not to die.

it was always droppable, so i wote no, keep it droppable!

Your argument is very weak.

I had to deal with losing things when I was new. If these new people leave the game over losing a few minor items they probably wouldn't have stayed in the game for long anyways.

Look at people like DoctorRx who have lost 1M's of gc beacause of dying with no rosto or being scammed and still plays.

Losing things is part of the game. When you are new you lose minor items like a 500gc leather set, and when you get to 100s like Rx, you lose 500k BD sets.

I vote to leave things as they are.

What about poor Lenny?

It doesn't really matter since the cheapskate doesn't use armour and has never dropped me any money either. All I've ever got off him are some rings, potions and his worthless hide, although I have heard old wives tales about him dropping 10k gc or so!

1. Radu already covered the PK implications of this change in the first post "Most of the time people don't carry gold with them in PK areas or during training, so this won't change much".
  2. The change is mostly so new players can venture into Naralik for books, White stone at night for sigils, etc.. A 500 gc leather set is a lot of money for a new player . We need to keep the new players from giving up too quickly.
  3. Let's stop arguing before this change never happens.

Why do we need this change? Assuming EL failing to keep new players, will making gold undroppable keep new players from quitting? I doubt it. El is already the most passive game I have ever played, including SimCity. Reducing the challenges and difficulties will only make it more of a grind-fest. I cant imagine anyone quitting EL because it is too difficult. More likely people quit because at first glance there doesn't seem like there is anything worthwhile to do in the game.

When I said "poor Lenny", I was referring to the fact that he picks up player's gc, not dropping his own. Duh

Silly me.

Anyways, the change was made, but Im certain this isnt the change that is going to keep new players in game.