Eternal Lands Official Forums
morrigan

summoning in combat

I know this has been mentioned before but I think it would really be a good idea to have creatures be summonable whilst engaged in combat.

Oh, and while Im at it, if the above gets implemented.....how about some icons like the spell quickie icons for summons

I agree with the suggestion, the summoner should be allowed to use his combat skill in a combat situation. I remember once the objection being raised that the summoner could spam rabbits on his opponent and never get hit, but if there was an attack turn penalty and/or a cooldown on the summoner for each summon then that wouldn't really be a problem.

on that topic, would also like to see a way to tell summons to walk to a specific point or towards a specific direction as long as it is not to far way from where you are (maybe 10 steps)

Perhaps in the summon menu:

Walk to Summon Beacon

Set Summon Beacon

I agree with the idea too. We need to balance the disadvantage situation where a fighter can summon with stones while attacking a summoner, which is then outnumbered even if he could summon back. There are many options to tune the added advantage for the summoner:

• one or more combat turns without attacking,
  • an att/def penalty for the next 1..n rounds
  • a penalty on the summoning level (e.g. like a -10 on summoning = higher failure rate; do not bet on summoning a dragon at the last minute :) )

Ideas for the cooldown:

• The cooldown might come in the form of consumed food: you summon in combat, you loose some food point (half as as mana spent?). As you cannot summon while hungry, either
    • you wait the full food cooldown, or
    • you bring toads and antidotes and risk poisoning, or
    • you have spent PPs in the IEDP perk, bring bones and spend extra time to eat them.

[*]The cooldown may be enforced by the use of mana; e.g. you spend double mana to summon while in combat, so summoning is expensive and implicitly dangerous as you are also restoring (srs cooldown). So either you use a conjurer cape (so no NMT for you) or you have the perk (you have spent more PPs)

This leaves up a lot of options for different strategies to explore, which also require some skill to manage, since at the same time you have to restore, drink srs, maybe eat, summon ...

Edited by massimoC

Ideas for the cooldown:

• The cooldown might come in the form of consumed food: you summon in combat, you loose some food point (half as as mana spent?). As you cannot summon while hungry, either
  • The cooldown may be enforced by the use of mana; e.g. you spend double mana to summon while in combat, so summoning is expensive and implicitly dangerous as you are also restoring (srs cooldown). So either you use a conjurer cape (so no NMT for you) or you have the perk (you have spent more PPs)

Another idea would be when in combat to use mana and AP?

Also yes as i've said before in another thread if summon in combat is allowed there should be cooldown

yes, a cooldown of perhaps 3 or 4 seconds, would probably do the trick, and since it already costs mana ....spamming ceases to be viable

we also have to consider it's effects on PvE - what will happen in invances/invasions if summoners can summon and fight at the same time?

I like to see indeed a change in the summoning process so that instead of using the normal mixing window it gets a new window / menu of its own ( with its own icon at the HUD bar ) and make it work like the magic wand / magic spells work. Depending on what ingredients you have on you, only the available summons are highlighted in the menu ( like the magic spells ), click on the icon you want to summon and click summon.

Edited by Nardo Lala

Well, you can cast magic while engaged in combat, why not summons as well...or, maybe we could stop magic being cast while in combat, either is fine with me, although dis ring prices might go up

What about making all melee summon ings more expensive than the regular summoned one. Like as previously suggest. Do another window for melee summon. For example 1rabbit :1raw meat 1bone 2rabbit fur and 2le(just a random example).

Edit

2le instead of 1

Edited by aravinth

To keep EL a classless game I think it is only fair that any player should be able to engage in combat using any of the skills available in the game. (except harvesting, etc lol)

Edited by GreyElf

To keep EL a classless game I think it is only fair that any player should be able to engage in combat using any of the skills available in the game. (except harvesting, etc lol)

I resent this discrimination against professional harvesters. :D

I resent this discrimination against professional harvesters. :D

Agreed. If pro harvesters can't harvest in combat, what can we do?

I see only a technical limitation here. Summoning is like mixing (since you use the Mix-window). And mixing is not allowed during harvesting or fighting.

I change my mind...summoning is still cool as it is...i just wish it had its own window like magic...and and a quickbar icon

Edited by RiyaadhABR