Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Removal/modification of rule 5

Do you want to remove rule 5 (no trading between alts)  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to remove rule 5?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

We had this poll a few years ago, and at that time more people wanted to keep it, although there were a lot of people who wanted to get rid of it.

There are, of course, some advantages and disadvantages to each side. I am not going to enumerate them, but feel free to post if you are pro or against, and why.

i am on PK server and am unsure as to why i can multi on pk server with no problem but will get banned for on main.

i voted to remove...

Against because it broadens the portfolio of the "black market" character sales with ultra specialized alts.

+ transforms some negative perks - like antisocial - into free pp's for main character (everyone will get Anti and let their alts buy/sell freely for their main chars).

Edited by Mythos

I am happy either way

voted no

The pros of nolifer with X alts would be a pain for people who ocasionnaly comes on the game:

Anti perk would be a full bonus for main chars with alts.

There would be to much bonus for people who have lots of alts, against people who can't (RL, computer specs etc).

I voted to keep it Dont remove rule #5. Its there for a reason and I 100% agree with it. Even though there has been alittle trouble in the past where I was acussed of illegel multi'ing I have never broken this rule and would make it unfair to most players if it was removed. just my 2 cents

Edited by Norad

The only reason I'd want this to be removed is because I share my computer with other people in the house, each who have their own character, and if I'm correct, if we are logged on at the same time, and we did some trading, the server will see it as me having an alt Character and ban this computer.

Against because it broadens the portfolio of the "black market" character sales with ultra specialized alts.

It's like let the lead of the game to a few "specialized alts". I keep my vote to no. Removing rule 5 is like remove a big part of scaming and other bad use of alts and making players like me leave.

No.

As you feel free to not restrict the topic in any way and i read line one of the rule, i feel free to say no...without even wasting time for explanation.

I voted no. If this rule was removed you would have ppl with an army of alts farming for the main. Removal of this rule, imo, would ruin the game.

It needs to be MODIFIED .

Here is why : 5+ years ago I was accused of Illegal multi,(specifically accused of using my Wife's Character) and here is why I believe Tokie #1 was "Perma-Banned" afterwards. My Brother showed me how to play Eternal Lands. I watched Him play His Character on a Computer He sent me after I got hurt on the job. I followed His every move. Then shortly after that, my Wife made a Character, and She asked me how to play... In short, My Brother played it like this-that and the other. I played it like this-that and the other, and my Wife followed suit accordingly. Any Mod worth a grain of salt, would have noticed 3 different Characters all doing it the same way,at the same times on the same days, as my Brother had mapped it out for me, and how I passed it down to my Wife. As for the reason I got "Perma-Banned" well, if I had just stopped and thought about the whole situation then, as I did in hind-sight, I'd still have Tokie #1 and would have never flew off and copied and pasted a Mods PM with me...and I'd still be on my Original,because I would have explained my/our situation and things would have turned out differently. Back to Rule #5. If there is any way that a Mod could ask the Player what the **** they are doing, and not just sit there and give more than enough rope to hang themselves with, and THEN drop the Ban Hammer, things would go smoother and there would be less banning IF people could find a fool proof way of proving their case before judgement is passed down and Bans happen. In short on Rule #5, less quick tempered judgement and more understanding and pre-warning prior to Ban's being handed out is my way of seeing this through to a better ending for all. Maybe a 3 strikes THEN your Banned rule in effect ?

This is from KrazyKiller, the smartass forgot his pass:

[PM from KrazyKiller: imo I dont think its a good idea, you have people who have had Alts for years with full storages that would just go to their main]

[PM from KrazyKiller: you could buy an alt for every skill,no1 would need any1 else]

[PM from KrazyKiller: that all the major points i can say]

I voted NO, rule number 5 seperates EL from the rest. I think this would take away any team work needed in the game. This has been discussed several times over the years and the outcome has always been NO lets keep it that way :)

No. Some of the others already made perfectly good points as to why not.

Though, in my humble opinion, this rule could be enforced a little more laxly, a little less strictly. For example, I would love to help out my alt or my partner or a RL friend (potentially in the same network, so same IP) with an MM cape or some beginner's equipment or whatever (or even borrow, for that matter), just like the occasional friendly player or friend provided me with an MM cape and other stuff back when I first started or was in need.

I personally was never threatened to get banned or anything (at least not to my knowledge :whistle:), so I have no first hand experience on how rigidly rule #5 is being inforced now. But given all I've heard and read from others so far, having that threat hanging over your head all the time, and worrying even for a lousy padded leather set, that's just ridiculous -- in my opinion.

Anyway, how about making up some rule-of-thumb of how much or how often or at what value trades are considered okay between alts (and alleged alts) in a certain time frame/interval? I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be too hard to control on the server side, as those trades appear to be noticed or alerted already, anyway.

2¢t

Elowynn

Edited by Elowynn

voted 'no'

i fear, the game balance can get a damage by people building special toons for the needs..

can make harvest alts with high emu, nexus only for harvest all,

an alt to mix low to med level stuff

and a fighter with all negative perks that would keep him away from harvesting, trading with NPC, mixing...

without spending pps on nexus needed to mix or harvest

atm, you can have alts too, special too, but you need to trade with comunity.

ofc i would be happy to have one toon sitting and harvesting, while my main is around for quests or on hunt or such

but i would be more bussy with my alts i fear, and communication with others would get down...

later it could affect the market too, in a bad way...ok, my thoughts

I vote yes because (aislynn said me one day that Mods don't have time to baby sit every one that breaks rule #5 ) and if they do just hook all storages in one and only allow 2 extra char per person

later it could affect the market too, in a bad way...ok, my thoughts

IMO it can only affect 'the market' for the better. More toons harvesting=more raw materials, for players to use but also to trade on market. More raw materials on market = a little more balance in the demand for the hotselling things like silver, iron, coal, even iron/steel bars etc. People would actually be able to buy what they're looking for, instead of spamming market channel for days without any result.

And yet... I did not vote. In an ideal world, removing rule 5 would be awesome. But in EL, meh, idk. I think after all those years most people are so stuck in their own routines, this rule being there or not wouldn't even make all the difference for the biggest part of EL's active players Personally, I would just use the situation once, to merge the storages of both my toons, and then abandon one, or the other.. Maybe just leave the rule as is, but as a holiday gesture to all of us, allow us to multi once? :P

I know there are reasons for rule 5. I also know it causes alot of headaches for players and I imagine some headaches for mods because they have to deal with them.

I know it is a hassle to explain to newbs because explaining things to newbs is one of my self-appointed tasks in the game.

As someone that has played more than one character at the same time without interaction, I know that running more than one character at the same time makes a person less efficient.

I don't know if the rule should be around or not, but I think that automated non-ban penalties like bad astro or something would probably be less of a headache for everyone.

You might be able to record some data on multiplay from the pk server to see how people multiplay and why.

You could just not enforce the rule for a month, but give people warnings or mark the rule as not active for a little bit.

Edited by nathanstenzel