Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Mage/healer class, reloaded

I think just making the paralyze spell that spiders have and maybe making it 5-7 secs would be better and maybe putting a cool down on it so you can't use it on the same thing for 60 sec but you can use it on more then one thing within those 60 secs

30 seconds:

http://el-wiki.net/Invisibility_Potion

http://el-wiki.net/Invisibility_Spell

I think on the contrary the potions should have a higher value and last longer.

That's odd. The other day I ran out of invis pots so I thought "what the heck, I'll just use the spell". Unlike the pot, though, the spell faded almost instantly and got me killed as a consequence. A good thing someone was there to save my db.

Also, I agree with Bob - making pots better than spells is a bad idea. The spell already weights 30 emu (not counting a 5 emu SR if you need the mana) against the 6 emu from the pot - where would that lead?

All in all, I would contemplate on something like this. It would certainly bring something fresh in the game. The penalties are a great idea, and very interesting.

Bonus Ideas:

How about a chance for a mage to ignore spells on the animals they go to fight... Just a small chance. It would be nice to not have a bear suck mana from you every once in a while :P

Spell Ideas:

I always thought a "Pulsing Heal" would be nice for a mage. It would work like poison but in reverse. You would cast it on a friend or ally and then you can walk away while they would gain like 25 HP over time... (or have it be adjusted according to the mage's level).

Ally Healing:

Since we don't have groups in EL, how about allowing allies/guildies to be healed a certain amount of Hp so many "spaces" away. So if you got a group fighting something, the mage could heal friends a little with one spell, if they are with in range, that is.

IMO There are some problems to overcome before anything:

1. Wont magic exp increase be abused by leveling a lot of magic and then just removing the perk?

2. What would be the use for mages(what could they do better that archers/melees)?

3. How to balance the spells, so that mages wouodnt be op (i.e. too big harm).

4. Would there be any other efficient and fun ways to train magic apart for duo draining all day (which is anything but fun), maybe more (cheap) damaging spells for training?

5. Therefor, would it be fun to play as a mage(since most of spells dont scale either)?

A side note from myself, maybe instead of increasing mana regeneration, you could reduce mana costs? Would help more in training imo :)

And there could also be another mage directed perk, say 30% chance to save runes on spellcast for several pps(like ranyer's)

Something I don't understand is why a powerful mage is not wanted by many players, but the same players also want some incentive to mage over fighting?

I mean I know you wouldn't want ONE skill being THE most powerful skill, but if you spend time/gc/money at the skill, you should be powerful, even with a nice harm spell. I mean, if a fighter can attack me (I am weak) and take me out in 1 hit, why can't a mage, who spends a massive amount of mana, and essences on me (not to mention it's slower to cast than just clicking to fight).

The skills should be equal in their own ways. I know harm can be powerful, but so can a powerful sword with a high level behind it.

One way to make a mage/healer desired in a group is to restrict certain spells to those with the mage/healer perk, i.e. only a healer can cast group heal, paralize or any other mage/healer spells. Restricted powerful spells would help reduce people from removing the perk once they advanced to whatever level.

One pk attack spell that came to mind that would be fun or interesting is a chaos spell. Any spell cast by your antagonist in the next 2 seconds after cast, would cause random events. A restore spells might smite summoned, a mana drain might remote heal, any random spell might happen.

Some ideas or spells are nice. But writing down so many spells each is not.very constructive. I just would like to see the perk as Entrophy proposed and then have adiscussion about new spells or spell with aoe.

Something I don't understand is why a powerful mage is not wanted by many players, but the same players also want some incentive to mage over fighting?

They probably don't want the mage to be strong unless the mage is "on their side".

One way to make a mage/healer desired in a group is to restrict certain spells to those with the mage/healer perk, i.e. only a healer can cast group heal, paralize or any other mage/healer spells. Restricted powerful spells would help reduce people from removing the perk once they advanced to whatever level.

One pk attack spell that came to mind that would be fun or interesting is a chaos spell. Any spell cast by your antagonist in the next 2 seconds after cast, would cause random events. A restore spells might smite summoned, a mana drain might remote heal, any random spell might happen.

You're definetely right about this, the abumance of spell ideas could be mind boggling.

They probably don't want the mage to be strong unless the mage is "on their side".

I am thinking that too, LOL!

Edited by Lexi

It seems we have two groups here. Group1 says that Mages are already overpowered. Group2 says we need more magic spells or an extention with perks, where group1 says again, omg they are already so powerful. stalemate ~

We should sit together and discuss how powerfull each spell should be for one who has all the bonuses, so we know a worst-case-senario. (example harm spell) In my oppinion we can not add things when it endangers the balance of the game.

And I like to introduce my own view of things currently. Many players have choosen Reason to increase their hitting power. In multicombat (example invasion) for example, when you do the most damage you get all the gc, all other players go empty.

(maybe we could let the server divide the loot in multicombat) [maybe exclusively when all wear gather med].

For the reason that many players have many attribute points in Reason that makes them also a very good mage. And this is something that should not be possible. I think, and this is my statement now, you can not be a good fighter and good mage at the same time. It is too easy.

Which is another reason why I would vote for less attribute depandant spell damage.

My suggestion: 20% Rationality + 80% Level

Now to come back to Radu#s original post:

Penalties:

1. -30% inflicted damage

2. -30% total damage 'prevention' (given by attributes, defense level and armor)

3. -30% a/d exp

It was well conceived and I like the introduction of Action Points in the concept.

I already know who's going to get the perk ;)

Bonuses:

3. All/most of the spells have a 50% higher damage, heal, or duration. Some spells might have a 200% increase, such as remote heal.

A true mage is protected by magic ! So please do not forget to give a good bonus to the shield spell !

Perhaps there could even be an extention to "Dedicated Mage".

we already have 2 perks that support summoners:

we have 3 perks that support rangers:

So perhaps another perk for wizzards that comes also with further penalties. I have thought about a limit of human nexus to 5. This would not allow a mage to wear Great swords or Dragon armor /and unfortuneatly not the artificer cape (you can still get the perk) But still classic items like the Staff of Protection or the Crown of Life.

Further Penalites: a limit for the attribute Phyique which has a direct effect on toughness, carry capacity and life points. And i heard that physique has a direct consequence for the damage (not cross attribute, true?)

Bonuses:

You need less essences for Invisibitly and True Sight.

example: { 5 Air , 5 Energy, 5 Matter } Essences

example: { 3 Engery, 3 Magic , 3 Spirit } Essences

Shield Spell gives you +9 armor. (200% increase)

You are not effected by:

(i did not forget the Mana Burn Ward)

suggested Name : Follower of Merlin

suggested Phy cap : 20

suggested PP: 0

removal Stone: yes :P

I like solarstars idea (except the bit about magic less dependant on attris, just saw that, i've got a confused semi-combat, semi-magic build, and take reasoning because i want to increase my magic capabilities, and also hit because my coord is maxed), but i still hope that magic will only be as effective as ranging/summoning, so you have 3 extra skills for combat over a/d, and do not feel like you need to go for a specific one because its much better than the others.

Edited by Grort

You are not effected by:

(i did not forget the Mana Burn Ward)

suggested Name : Follower of Merlin

suggested Phy cap : 20

Being a mage is already expensive, yet you suggest limiting phy, which dirrectly influence your income(emu). And theres already dmg/tankyness reduction from original post. I dont think mages shouldnt be allowed to train other skills, which is what are you suggesting by stomping on their hp, dmg and emu so hard(especially because coord is near useless for a dedicated mage)

And even if im not a pvper, i dont like the ward idea either.

Was just curious..Is this ever going to be implemented, is certainly something i would take without hesitation.

A Mage is something i've always wanted to be & there aren't a great deal of us out there...

please please introduce this into game, i think it would make things quite interesting ;)

I will consider it, but first I have a few other things to do (some ideas I had for a long time).

Cool and Now I'm curious :P

I hate when people say things like they are overpowered. Deal with it! There is a spell that renders mage's useless..... And before you mention ranging... Point Defense..