Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ghrae

Ctrl+S vs Ctrl+X

I'm a good boy... sometimes. I try to sit when harvesting or at storage. No point blocking the harvestables or NPC.

But sometimes... Alt+S becomes Alt+X.

Given how often we want to sit and how rarely we want to exit (let's face it, we don't have a life) can we get rid of Ctrl+X? Instead can we set up text commands: #exit and #quit

It produces the same result and is more intentional.

Edited by Ghrae

You mean ALT+ S/X

i love my alt+x

if you don't like it, maybe change it in the el.ini, if such thing is possible

Allthough this can allready be done with the key.ini file, I like the suggestion. Understanding and editing ini files just isn't for everyone.

#exit and #quit are indeed better.

Yes I did mean Alt, not Ctrl.

And I had tried the key.ini file... but with Sir_Odie's help I see that was doing so wrong.

I tried: #K_SIT = ALT x assuming that #K_QUIT was an OPTION and that what was important was the Alt X having a value (other than it's default of quit)

But it appears that #K_QUIT / #K_QUIT_ALT are not optional. And that I had to assign them to some other key combination.

I'm sure there is a Standard Practice out there. I'm not sure if EL's key.ini method is following it or not. But it seems that a little backwards in use to me... but that could just be me.

I changed my alt x to "use" whatever is in slot 6 (in my case, fruit to eat):

#K_ITEM6 = LALT x

My quit option is:

#K_QUIT = RALT F10

It appears that you have to specify right or left alt key.

Instead can we set up text commands: #exit and #quit
I don't understand this comment. I type #exit or #quit all the time to exit the game, to insure that I save what I did (versus clicking the x at the top right corner of the window).

You could effectively disable the keys by assigning the #K_QUIT and #K_QUIT_ALT keys to non-key name. i.e.

#K_QUIT = NONE

#K_QUIT_ALT =NONE

This gives the two keys a key code of zero which should never actually happen, I guess....

versus clicking the x at the top right corner of the window

That does the exit just the same as #exit and the keys, your stuff will be saved just fine.

Edited by bluap

Instead can we set up text commands: #exit and #quit
I don't understand this comment. I type #exit or #quit all the time to exit the game, to insure that I save what I did (versus clicking the x at the top right corner of the window).

Poorly worded on my part as it was late at night. I was just suggesting we have the text commands and don't need the short cut that's near another short cut that gets much more usaged

You could effectively disable the keys by assigning the #K_QUIT and #K_QUIT_ALT keys to non-key name. i.e.

#K_QUIT = NONE

#K_QUIT_ALT =NONE

Didn't know we could do that. I like that option best of all. I'll try it tonight - thank you!

Even though i do the exact same thing over and over again i love my ALT+X its been the only way i exit the game for as long as i can remember (no idea how long cos my memory aint going back that far :P ).

it could be changed to ctrl-S if that's not used yet. so you don't accidently alt-x but rather ctrl-x if you make a mistake. which afaik doesn't log you out.

Edited to leave out a mistake ^^

Edited by Infamous

oh my post got deleted? what was wrong with it? only suggested it could be changed to ctrl-S if that's not used yet. so you don't accidently alt-x but rather ctrl-x if you make a mistake. which afaik doesn't log you out.

I see no deleted post by you from this thread.

oh my post got deleted? what was wrong with it? only suggested it could be changed to ctrl-S if that's not used yet. so you don't accidently alt-x but rather ctrl-x if you make a mistake. which afaik doesn't log you out.

first one could've been not submitted right, but a second time after making sure it did get posted right?

easiest way to get the buttons changed is through submitting a patch and see if radu likes it

first one could've been not submitted right, but a second time after making sure it did get posted right?

I have looked at moderator logs and admin logs and there is nothing there. I really don't know what else to tell you.