Eternal Lands Official Forums

Taken from Radu's EL blog

"The numbers are not too bad, but I want to see if I can improve them a bit, especially the percent of people starting the tutorial, and the percent of how many finish the first objective"

problem with this is, if you want people to start/finish quests you have to have markers marking which NPC has a quest for you. it's a universal thing and every player will be looking for marks on an NPC to quickly see if they got a quest, if not they just pass by.

and with that i'd suggest a huge questline that has a purpose other then gc/exp.

tutorial only goes so far, so it would be nice if a quest guided newbies to "hotspots" to train at certain levels, so they know what creatures to start at which levels.

other then that connect quest npc's, make quests go to other NPC's that have quests for you, so people don't run out of them quick, rather then finishing a quest for 1 npc and then have nothing left cause along the way you didn't pick anything up.

last thing - It would be nice if the text that starts a quest at a certain NPC differs from all the "random banter", sometimes you read the random things wasting time not getting a quest and when you get one you don't notice/skipped the texts too quick out of frustration.

Just some things to make questing more player friendly and fun. better to have in-game mechanics developed by Game devs point to quests and stuff rather then Choris's website right?

and why is that? as it stands it's difficult to find quests and/or find out what to do. which is why Choris made his quest website.

now we all know Radu dislikes the idea of people going to such website knowing where to go, what to bring etc (some NPC says something like "i hope you arent a lazy pig and had these furs with you already" along those lines)

so best option would be Devs making it easier for users to find their way around quests, and actually have newbies know where quests are and what to do.

-1 too here. players should bother talking to an NPC at least once and discover quests on their own. Someone took time to write the NPC script.

Edited by hussam

Why bother have a quest if it's going to be handed to you on a silver platter?

By definition a quest is something you seek, search out, the pursuit to put the puzzle pieces together.

I think you have quest confused with a shopping list hand delivered to your front door.

I am -1 also.

A quest is supposed to be long and ardous, otherwise it is just free exp and items, if you are planning for to make easier why bother questing at all why not NPC just give you a free PP?!

I think they should be made more convalouted, with multiple ways it could be made to work, making you have to think how to complete it, the quest system as is is just follow instructions on choris and get some free stuff...

I think you all misunderstand what a quest is, does the quest start by getting it from an NPC? and do the task for him? or is it a game of hide and seek?

a quest is a task given to you by an NPC, the fun is doing the task, not to find the NPC itself that gives you the task.

hence the low amount of people starting/finishing Tutorial quest the first quest in-game and people skip it because you guy's wanna play a game of hide and seek.

saw a review of EL on youtube of 16 mins, a guy killing rabbits/rats then heading to WS and end the video, it would be much more impressive for potential new players if they atleast saw the quest, if he could find it. that would boost players and shop earnings so Radu can work more on improving the game.

kinda selfish of you guys though, like Hussam said (which kinda works against you hussam) people work hard on those quests, just so you, a handfull of advanced people, can complete it. newer players dont get the chance/info handed to them like us to do quests.

saw a review of EL on youtube of 16 mins, a guy killing rabbits/rats then heading to WS and end the video, it would be much more impressive for potential new players if they atleast saw the quest, if he could find it. that would boost players and shop earnings so Radu can work more on improving the game.

Eh, no, that same rabbit killer didn't stop at WS. He later went straight to buying gloves, even knowing which shop to buy them from, and to the sulfur, talking about making FEs. He may have chosen to skip the tutorial in the video, but he'd obviously already done it before. It's not official nor is it a true newbie, so irrelevant as "proof".

If anything, it's proof that he actually did find the tutorial already and did it.

New players do see the tutorial quest. They start directly next to it. They get hints pointing to it. They get mods pointing them to it in help. Tutorial is everything but hidden. (And the gl2 release will apparently make that a non-issue anyway).

This whole suggestion is another hand-everything-immediately-on-a-silver-platter-to-everyone suggestion, when the whole point is, yes, go find the things yourself. Speak to the NPCs, they're not there just to look at and quests only.

Any suggestion that is a hand-it-to-me-immediately in what is an "eternal" game is going to by default get shot down. The tutorial is the only thing that's an immediate *must have*, and it points out starter dailies and other tutorials as well. Everything else, yes, the player should be finding themself. Over time, not do-it-all-at-once immediately.

And no, it's NOT too much for new players to actually have to speak to NPCs when they stumble on them. To find them as they look through the maps. This suggestion only adds to the mentality of "best spot to train" "best spot to harv" fastest way to do quests (handed on a platter). There's no rush to do all the quests, so yes, players should be exploring and discovering them on their own.

Oh and yes, "hide and seek" (treasures, pears, grapes, contests...) is a valid part of the game.

Edited by Burn

Saw that as well, however it's also from 2010, before the overhaul of the tutorial and as such not relevant to current-time discussion.

And as stated, the whole newbie-tutorial issue appears to be completely irrelevant in the coming gl2 release, so not worth stressing over any way.

The other quests should be the topic here. That Tutorial even got brought up when it's the simplest thing to find is a "here's the wookie" maneuver to the actual topic.

Edited by Burn

I don't understand the problem?

Add in an option to have some sort of quest indicator. Have this displayed above the tutorial NPC and then in the course of the quest have a pop up that asks whether players would like to have this indicator enabled in the future or not. Simply link this to a toggle in the options menu so people can change it at any time.

All you elitist people can still play "without being handed anything" and people who do not want to can do it their way. For some people wandering round talking to different NPCs to try and find quests is simply not exciting. You can still absorb and enjoy the lore of a game and of a quest when you know where to go.

Adding more options does not detract from your own game play; it means that other people can play the game their way. If that means more new players are tempted to stay and play the game then surely it is a win win situation?

Choice is never a bad thing, no matter how much you think your own choice will always be the correct one.

When a quest is added to the game there is always a big hunt to find the NPC that has it and then do the quest as fast as you can to be the first that finished it, sure all the quests will end up somewhere on a guild board or a webpage with a go through but that can't be avoided really so making those NPCs that has quests being shown with a mark or something is not a good idea imo (they will be known pretty fast after it is found anyways and so will the places that has the info for it too).

When it comes to the Newbie Quests like the tutorial it might be a good idea to perhaps have a server map mark on it (like the flowers on IP has in the quest) telling those who are new to the game that there is a quest for new commers to do there and a line in there can tell them that there are more quests to be found out there but they won't have a mark so they will have to search for them so (or something).

I have no idea how many New players that enters EL that starts the tutorial quest but perhaps having a marker along with the other information will add to that amount i donno.

"Selfish" "Elitist" ... stick to the subject, not the person. You're not better enough than anyone else to be using these words about others. There's no excuse to resort to name-calling on the official forum just because someone has a different opinion.

And no, one of the few things that's not grind-grind-grind shouldn't be made simpler.

Those that are dead set against actually being "a part of the lands", too get-it-now and grind-grind-grind to bother finding quests, perhaps such types are better off just not doing the quests at all. They're not mandatory, after all. The tutorial points out Novac, two dailies, and several skill tutorials, that should be enough for the ones not willing to do more than grind.

Edited by Burn

"Selfish" "Elitist" ... stick to the subject, not the person. You're not better enough than anyone else to be using these words about others. There's no excuse to resort to name-calling on the official forum just because someone has a different opinion.

And no, one of the few things that's not grind-grind-grind shouldn't be made simpler.

Those that are dead set against actually being "a part of the lands", too get-it-now and grind-grind-grind to bother finding quests, perhaps such types are better off just not doing the quests at all. They're not mandatory, after all. The tutorial points out Novac, two dailies, and several skill tutorials, that should be enough for the ones not willing to do more than grind.

In your opinion.

Yes, this is a thread on a suggestion forum. Everything by everyone is an opinion. That's a given, it doesn't need to be stated.

Those that are dead set against actually being "a part of the lands", too get-it-now and grind-grind-grind to bother finding quests, perhaps such types are better off just not doing the quests at all.

Who are you to make judgements on how people wish to play the game? This is not a black and white issue, there are at least 50 shades of gray. Just because someone doesn't want to spend hours finding different quests does not automatically make them "dead set against being a part of the lands".

Shall we remove signposts from all cultural areas and sites? This would clean out the plebs after all and these places would become much more exclusive.

Even more interesting is that I simply suggested people be given a choice, something you clearly disagree with. Why do you not even want to give people a choice? Are people only allowed to enjoy the game in exactly the same way as you? Should "such types" be allowed to create characters at all?

Edited by Aislinn
Removed oversized annoying irrelevant flash image after my request was ignored.

No, as said, they have the option to not do them at all. Again, they're not mandatory. But want them? Earn them.

And yes, I disagree with the choice. Unlike choices in your Options panel, this choice promotes making things easier for specific people.

Which by default, turns that choice into a perk. Welcome to Pickpointville, may I take your OAs?

And seriously the overboard-type replies of "not create a character at all" were unwarranted. That's the type of response used only when you have nothing valid to say. Saying "those too lazy to find the quests need not bother doing them, they're not mandatory" and saying "they can't play at all" are two very different things.

The only "choice" that's needed that wouldn't require pickpoints for making things simpler is already in the game... be the type of player that finds quests, thus gets them. Or be the type of player who doesn't find quests, just spend all your time at closest-to-sto harvs and best training spots and grind-grind-grind.

Edited by Burn

Enough! Again, I ask anyone who inserted personal comments to remove them or their posting rights will be removed. And pointless bandwidth hogging images.

Wasn't this already discussed to death, the conversation about golden question marks rotating around npc's heads? And not wanted?

nice sig aislon

Yeah too bad nobody follows it. (And you are one of the ones I was talking to, btw. :P Stop name calling and please remove that image...And I guess I don't get the joke about the name misspelling, sorry.)

And too bad some people have a really bad habit of either taking things said out of context or twisting the meaning, so that they can incite others to get all worked up over something that didn't happen.

I didn't call anyone names?

and the pic was funny and relevant in the context. hypocrisy =/= a good argument :<

What about this solution?

-Make new main storyline quest with big fat indicators, newbs like this alot

-Keep current quests as they are now, and call them side quests...

win/win

I am all for new players and such but we who have played awhile had to do quests without help and lvl by hard work. Doesnt making it so easy kinda fly into the face of us who haved done this on our own? :omg:

Same questions different day:

Where is the line between what the game creator wants and envisioned and worked at, and the demands that a subset of users "ask" of the creator to change it to, to suit their own desires?

And the corollary to that: Quantity vs quality: Does one want any new players at any cost or only new players who want to play the game the creator had in mind in the first place?

Again let's use the game of chess as an example: It was designed a certain way, it has specific pieces you have to use, and rules you have to read to make it go as the creator had in mind. It is what it is. If you don't like it, you don't call the creator and demand he change it and make his life hell until he does. You find or make another game you do like.

I just don't get the mindset of hanging around only to bash somebody's opinion or vision because it isn't the same as yours. Just move on then. Why is a creator not allowed to make something in the manner he chooses?

Because we are the heroes eternal lands deserves, not the ones it needs right now. So you will hunt us. Because we can take it. Because we aren't your heroes. We are silent guardians, watchful protectors.

and because it's entertaining.

and because you need some objectivity, logic, common sense and rationality in this place. (take the post above yours.. I mean seriously?)