Eternal Lands Official Forums
Thorus

Fairer Harvesting Experience Limits

At the moment we have to go out of our way to harvest higher level harvestables because we only get exp for the first 120 harvests per hour.

Could this be changed to a maximum experience limit instead, calculated by how much you'd get for 120 harvests of the highest level harvestables we actually harvest.?

HarvestExpLimit;     // exp for harvests in this hour. Reset every hour.
BaseHarvestExp;      // base experience for the current harvestable the player is harvesting at the time
HarvestLimit = 120;	//or 140
HarvestExp = 0;	//the exp that harvester actually receives
if ( HarvestExpLimit < ( BaseHarvestExp * HarvestLimit ))
{
 HarvestExp = Min( BaseHarvestExp, ( HarvestLimit * BaseHarvestExp ) - HarvestExpLimit );
 HarvestExpLimit += HarvestExp;
 HarvestExp += Rationality;
}

We'd still get 120 harvests worth of experience on highest level harvestable we harvest, but we'd no longer have to drop harvesting low level harvestables in favor of higher level, just because a new hour started.

Edited by Thorus

I think how it is now helps you decide what is more important, getting the lower level item or getting more harvesting exp No reason EL has to reward you with both.

I think how it is now helps you decide what is more important, getting the lower level item or getting more harvesting exp No reason EL has to reward you with both.

It's not like EL prevents us from getting both. It just sets our pace in a, imo, unnecessary limiting way.

I have spent much time getting to the harv lvl i am at all, all of us have. Why should it be made easier for newer players? Just my opinion of course but we all had to decide what was important to do first its part of the game.

Edited by Dalli

I have spent much time getting to the harv lvl i am at all, all of us have. Why should it be made easier for newer players? Just my opinion of course but we all had to decide what was important to do first its part of the game.

We also didn't have daily quest, sun tzu 8x a week etc...

Not like the new players today don't already have it easier on them by leaps and bounds.

But the suggestion seems to me that your asking for higher exp for low lvl items and I disagree.

Every skill starts with low lvl exp items and as you lvl you can make higher lvl items. Why should harvesting be any diffdrent?

Edited by PaulB

so all harvesters would get same exp per hour basically?

No, definitely not.

Instead of a counter for the number of harvests there would be a counter on all experience gained from harvesting.

Whether the harvester receives experience would be determined by formula that multiplies the base experience of the harvestable item being harvested at the time with 120 (or 140 with the perk).

The result would be compared against an experience counter and experience is granted if the counter is less, and the counter is increased.

It would not be possible to get experience for more than 120 harvest of the same item. However higher level harvestables would have higher cap to compare the experience counter against, so you could gain experience until you've received the total amount of experience that is as if you've done 120 harvest of the higher leveled harvestable.

For example, Lilacs would have a cap of 120*4 = 480. You wouldn't get any exp for harvesting anything that grants 4 exp if you've harvested 120 Lilacs

Fruits, have a cap of 120*22 = 2640. After having harvested 120 Lilacs, you could still receive exp (2640-480 = 2160) for 98.1 harvest.

After that you could still gain exp for 44.5 harvests of toadstool.

At that point, the total experience would be only as if you've harvested 120 toadstool from the very beginning.

Edited by Thorus

Heh, well i really don't see how this could bother you ?

Only thing that the harvest level helps you with, is the speed of harvesting higher level harvestables.

You can get to quite high harvesting level pretty easy, so the speed of harvesting most of the harvestables is acceptable very soon.

And as with other skills, the higher level items are supposed to be harder to get.

IMO this game is often a case of how to efficiently reach your goals. Most of us either have jobs or school so our time in game is limited. So over time we have to figure out the best way to maximize XP and still be able to do other things.

Yes, it can be annoying, but with out those little annoyances, we don't really have challenges.

Instead of what you suggested, try looking for maps that have a decent time-to-storage for the low level item you need... and also have a high level item you can XP on. Then hit the XP harvestable at top of hour and focus on low level item rest of hour. A slight compromise, but very doable.

Heh, well i really don't see how this could bother you ?

Yeah, it's a minor annoyance, I know. I believe there was some saying about how minor annoyances make life hell or something?

Instead of what you suggested, try looking for maps that have a decent time-to-storage for the low level item you need... and also have a high level item you can XP on. Then hit the XP harvestable at top of hour and focus on low level item rest of hour. A slight compromise, but very doable.

^^^This.

I'd add to it: Not just "the highest you can do" item, like tree shrooms for those with low/no inorganics. You might get a rare buyer, but you won't get much for those.

Use the harv hour exp period to harv stuff that if you don't think you'll need yourself in the future, you can sell at least once you've accumulated some.

Wormwood gets overdone since it's easy-access high exp in Naralik (though you might still sell), but every other creature food plant, there's always someone looking to buy those.

I leveled on turqoise at one point when I got near the rec level for it. Turned out I needed tons of it for engineering, but even if I didn't, the stock I got doing that could very easily be sold as there are quite a few who buy it for their eng leveling.

The point: Don't see it as just a limitation. With so many extra triple exp days (thanks to regular stone use of late), Xaq and dung dailies, harvesting is actually a lot easier to level than it was for those of us who are now over 100 and didn't have those things.

See it as harving for investment, that small amount of higher level harvs you get on the new hour will some day turn into gc, if you harv the right things and assuming they're not something you'll need yourself in the future.

Harv tip list:

1- Take advantage of every triple harv exp day. Those #days go out of your way to hit the highest thing you can do, regardless of whether it sells well as mentioned above.

2- Harv medallions are your friend despite their breakage - With red (bad) harvest astro, you can sit with one on repeated harv sessions and not stop harving. But exp-wise, they do wonders on the random exp from mini events as well as queen of nature blessings.

(I have close to 1,000,000 exp from mini events and 1.75 million exp from queen blessings on my stats. Those combined alone are the experience from level 0 to level 56 equivalent. Don't dismiss the harv med!)

3- Of course, the newest harvesting perk is also a necessity if you want to get more exp/hour. (Harv med highly recommend if this is taken.)

4- Do Xaq's quest every day.

5- Do the dung daily every day. Invest in a stock of dung as there are several who sell it, and it's not that expensive considering its harv level. Or even dismissing that, there's always a few bots with enough on them to do the daily. If you really want to harv leveling, it's worth the cost.

6- And what Ghrae said above, just keeping in mind if it's something you'll need at some point or is sellable. No need to make it just wasting time.

Harv is actually simple to level, albeit slow. These days it's much faster than it was when us old fogies were getting to 100.

And back onto the subject, for the above reasons I don't see the point in a sudden drastic change to something that has worked this long. It's a different way to level a skill, as it requires a little thought and planning.You'll get to a point where it doesn't matter if you keep leveling it soon enough, really.

I know that some people don't like harv meds due to breakage. Perhaps only use them during the XP portion of your harvesting. Any xp bonuses get a nice size bonus. Then take it off and harvest normally till the next hour change.

True, but chance of breakage is slim to none during red astro. Went two months once harving only during red astro with no break. :) That's where its real value kicks in, not having to stop with every mini event, heh.

If you need a flower you harvest it because of just that You need it, if you are after the exp only just go for a higher lvled flower and harv that one every harv hour for the exp.

Want both? Do both! Ghrae and Burn has some nice pointers as of how to do it on but it is all up to you how to set it up..

The harvesting is good as it is now and doesn't need any changes when it comes to the exp imo.