Eternal Lands Official Forums
CoLoR

Banned?

I have thought about this alittle more and Im sorry for everything I said in this thread that might have upset people further.

Also I understand why I got booted from a mods point of view... whole @6 gets kinda spammy sometimes and I understand that youre the ones that have to deal with it everyday.

But really Aislinn... Is it right that I get a whole months ban for something this small? All I did was making a joke and it wasent even directed at Burn or intended as an insult towards him. A normal mute and a PM telling me why I should not speak about Burn at all on public channels would have been enough. I dont see how being away from game will help my "attitude problem", and I never jumped no bandwagon I was apparantly already on it when I opened my mouth on channel. It was rolling downhill. ^^

Im enjoying this game and play alot in periods that I have time to play. Would love to be back ingame asap.

Thoros

Well you saw someone getting banned for it but you decided to do it anyway. That means you were intentionally trying to provoke trouble.

But really Aislinn... Is it right that I get a whole months ban for something this small?

Because if she bans you for just 3 days, you will do it again the minute you come back for the reason I just mentioned.

Dident see any1 get banned for it... Saw people talking about it and thought they got muted for it.

Again I never intended to harrass any1 and thats what Im banned for. -.-

You may not have intended to harass anybody, and perhaps you do not know the definition of harass, but to solve the problem you need to accept the fact that you did indeed harass somebody. You knew others were catching heat for doing it before you got involved. You already admitted as much.

You need to stop trying to defend your actions and just say sorry. You apoligized in more than one post in this thread but then in the same posts you try to defend your actions and/or deflect the blame to others.

An apology doesnt seem very sincere when you include excuses with it.

I made the decision to leave outside comments in this thread, due to the game-wide involvement of this particular case.

So I will address a bit of infamous' last post.

Harassment isn't right or allowed or acceptable because the target is weak or has a weakness. It isn't his obligation to grow a thick skin and learn to fight back. This is an exact quote of what I said to the mod team as to why I am taking the stand I am:

"And a final comment: I don't buy into the philosophy of "It's not my fault you aren't strong enough to fight back" that is supposed to justify the behavior."

Whatever issues you all have with each other outside of the EL realm is not my concern here. My concern is you brought it to the game including bashing his real life. Unacceptable. Your personal opinion of burn is immaterial and does not justify it. Harassment is not allowed here.

If you all want to make dueling blogs or bash each other to death on unofficial, have at it. Just keep it there. I can't control that and I don't want to. Do not use those venues to justify dragging the crap here.

For the rest of you who now think you are proving some misguided point by continuing to poke at the mods, enjoy your time off.

point remains, he doesn't have to grow a thick skin but if you have a weak mentality what point is there moderating where you constantly get attacked? not talking about this issue, but in general. people will always bitch/moan at mods.

it just proves again mods are always right, some aren't capable but you guy's will never accept that. the players are the ones always wrong, but if a mod is wrong it gets overlooked.

point remains, he doesn't have to grow a thick skin but if you have a weak mentality what point is there moderating where you constantly get attacked?

You don't see what is wrong in this sentence? Seriously?

Why should any moderator have to suffer through "where you constantly get attacked"? It's not your God given, free speech right to constantly attack moderators.

"where you constantly get attacked?"

The speech mark should be the other side of the question mark pls.

thank you for your time

Fixed. Thank you.

for example St_arcane said it 4-5 times during 2 weekends, and hasnt had any contact with burn whatsoever and got banned.

FYI, st_arcane came in game purposefully for doing that. And he knew he will get banned for it, but he did it anyway.

point remains, he doesn't have to grow a thick skin but if you have a weak mentality what point is there moderating where you constantly get attacked?

You don't see what is wrong in this sentence? Seriously?

Why should any moderator have to suffer through "where you constantly get attacked"? It's not your God given, free speech right to constantly attack moderators.

you still don't seem to understand, he shouldn't, but thats the internet.. you have this place where everyone is anonymous and play, new players get in and out of the game. you can't just stop people from herassing. trolls come and go, banning 5-6 for this isn't gonna stop people from coming to the game getting frustrated with someone and talk shit.

fact is, if you start a witch-hunt like this and end up banning people as collateral damage you just keep losing people for silly reasons like this.

you still don't seem to understand, he shouldn't, but thats the internet.. you have this place where everyone is anonymous and play, new players get in and out of the game. you can't just stop people from herassing. trolls come and go, banning 5-6 for this isn't gonna stop people from coming to the game getting frustrated with someone and talk shit.

fact is, if you start a witch-hunt like this and end up banning people as collateral damage you just keep losing people for silly reasons like this.

I guess these trolls didn't get the memo. They didn't go.

exactly, and every new player is a potential "troll" so there really is never gonna be an end to people causing trouble. just ends up in the next major issue where multiple people get banned.

I got no problem with Burn personally, never flamed him on channel 6 or bothered him in PM, just the way he chooses to handle things is wrong imo, mute/ban rather then warn, go crazy with the slightest off-topic. just saying he can ease up and i doubt people would have problems with him.

be honest, how much of the mods randomly get picked on for no reason at all? (other then a frustrated player at the time of a ban/mute)

oh and at the time of banning he made a nice blog post about how stupid the people are.

FYI, st_arcane came in game purposefully for doing that. And he knew he will get banned for it, but he did it anyway.

It should be "he knew he would get banned for it".

Thanks for your time.

Also, the fact that people went out of their way to get banned over this issue shows something, as does the fact that people feel the need to troll/flame etc. on ch6. What it shows i'll leave up to you guys I guess

Edited by evilmangopie

What it shows i'll leave up to you guys I guess

That should be "What it shows I'll leave up to you guys, I guess."

Thanks for your time.

sooooo.. can we come to a conclusion/middle-ground? both sides have something to work on. something like one side causes less trouble and the other eases up so people don't feel oppressed?

just a suggestion, channel 6 can be hard to moderate since it's off-topic channel together with invasion topic. people get stuck in the routine of off-topic and then suddenly find themselves being threatened or muted w/o warning sometimes.

or mayhaps make channel 6 solely for invasions and move off-topic to 8 and moderate it less?

let's work together on a positive outcome instead of "you are wrong, i ban you" "you are wrong, i flame u" \o/

"Off topic" is not the problem, nor what makes the channel hard to moderate. When a band|clique|gang of trolls suddenly takes it over and drowns out everyone else, or the friendly flaming turns into obscene or disgusting abuse or racism, or somebody shows up drunk, or somebody starts the mod-bashing ball rolling, or some banned idiot decides they are going to spew pages of insults, or somebody (or group) decides they want to intentionally annoy a specific person or another group ad nauseum, that sort of thing is what makes it hard. Granted, most people do respond to a pm. But funny how the few who don't, keep repeating the same behavior over and over, no matter how many times we pm or mute. So finally something will trigger the "enough's enough" button for the mod(s) and sure, they get booted or locked or whatever. And guess what: that person|group had more than enough warnings. The last one isn't really needed.

So yeah, "off topic" is not the problem.

I was once working on a set of rules for some stuff i made.

1. Use common sense and behave yourself.

[...]

7. If in doubt about anything, use rule #1 and better don't do it.

Quite easy to follow, yes?

If you feel the urge of trolling or harrassing, why not create a #irc channel or do it on skype, if you don't want to get in trouble here in game?

No one will stop you there.

On the other side..

No one is hindered to put his hand on a hot cooking plate as long as he likes....

Piper

Should implement a perma mute for such dastardly people

Omg from your mouth to God's ears.

You know, I've heard a couple people respond to me, saying I sound as though I think all mods are perfect. No, we are not perfect, me especially. Most of you know that. :P But we do all try awfully hard to make this a better place and enjoyable for everyone (trolls and above jerks, not so much, although the drunks I try to help). We are human and we do get annoyed or flustered or angry or what have you. It is not easy (see above post). And yes, sometimes it IS impossible to handle a situation without getting a bit heavy handed. It is easy for you all to judge, but remember, you don't see everything that goes on at once either. Most people understand that as well, rather than use it as a weapon to brandish around crying mod abuse. Just sayin.

Well obviously it's an impossible job (to please everyone that is), but I don't see why certain members of the mod "team" try to make things harder by inciting ill-feelings in sections of the community. Fortunately most of the stuff has now been deleted, maybe the person has been educated into some social niceties, will do a better job in the future and everyone's happy.

And piper, use your common sense to not spawn dozens of invis rats in small areas please.

lol

Edited by evilmangopie

Please, I made this thread to get unlocked aislinn.

Im telling you I dont know burn personally and never spoken to him or about him before..

for one simple joke about people saying hi to burn = ban?

perma ban me from @6 and let me play :cry::bangwall:

Yes I get that you only followed the crowd and thought it would be cool to push a button and see what would happen if you said something you saw others get locked for. Except you didn't answer Entropy's question yet.