Eternal Lands Official Forums

I would like to show a new Way Point System that is used to navigate easier on the map.

How to use it:

You open your map with tab, and hold down shift and click on the map. Every click adds a new waypoint and the dots (here circles in the picture) build a chain. The first WP will always be the target and the last WP you make on the map is the first WP that you will walk to. Once a WP is reached it will disappear and you will walk to the next one.

You can not only see the WPs but also a line between them. In addition a new cursor like a reticle to make more precise clicks. ( Perhaps a circle around my position could indicate how far i can see on the map at night. )

213mczk.png

( Perhaps a circle around my position could indicate how far i can see on the map at night. )

I love this idea more than the waypoint idea

Edited by MotionKi11a

Love the idea, however I am not sure how complicated it would be to implement.

This should be implementable totally client-side, but of course Radu has to approve the feature first (an usual criticism is that too much automation can make macroing easier and cause less active involvement by players, but that's not for me to decide).

As a player, it would be a convenient feature to have.

I thought about this too, but then i thought about how easy it would be to macro

What would be the purpose of this waypoint system?

Presumably, to allow people to plot a more direct route between current and desired position. The way the path-finding algorithm works now is to walk at a 45-degree angle until an axis is hit, then follow the axis (with deviations for obstacles). I find it somewhat annoying when I'm traveling a long distance and my avatar doesn't (try to) proceed directly toward the destination.

In theory it could be used to avoid areas that auto map walking would force you into (i.e. poison areas, PK areas, etc). Not sure that comes up too often currently though.

I am sure there are many purposes for this new system.

For example:

• finding a lost animal/monster , e.g. white tiger on Irinveron
  • creating search pattern for Leonard (alpha)
  • walking instance maps such as the 120+
  • reducing calculation time for very long paths on the server
  • more strategic thinking (night vision radius)
  • using alternative routes to mainstream (flags, boats, storages)

In theory it could be used to avoid areas that auto map walking would force you into (i.e. poison areas, PK areas, etc). Not sure that comes up too often currently though.

Ghrae is correct. When you plot a route, you can avoid falling into pk maps. For example when you travel in the portal room (Imbroglio Islands, Thelinor, Tahaji Desert). Sometimes the shortest route is not always the most desired one..

The server only handles short paths (less then about 25 steps or so). All the other path finding is client side only, so adding way points doesn't help the server any.

what about the delay after you click to go to a point? that shit is so frustrating

Thanks for the info. Even of this was introduced, pathfinder would still be used between way points. I can see I might use this in the portal rooms at least. Like many I used the unofficial tab-maps (for where official maps are omitted), I usually, manually use way points I guess to avoid going to the wrong location by clicking a point that will not take me over a portal, then clicking again etc.

i think path finding is pretty terrible in this game

characters randomly stop when walking next to other characters.

clicking on trees, so you walk a different path. make trees transparent for clicking?

love that idea, would be great for neno hunts and i agree for avoiding the known spots of hazzards that autowalk might put you in from time to time.

I also agree that the path finding system is not perfect, i rather would see (gameside) a path finding system that would let you walk the best way not just the simply angled way,

(I have for path finding the idea of a ball on top of a slope. where you are is a high point. place to walk to is lowest point Places you can walk over and get you somewhere totally different would be same as places where you cannot walk high walls. Now you let the ball roll )

Anyway if the way point together with a view radius (must not be only night view radus i would like to see it accurat at all times) you could make it work.

As for Macroing if you are good enough to use this system for macro then you are good enough to do the same even right now to get the same thing. So it does not really help people who macro but punish people who does not.

Map walking in the portals room often end up with you taking the wrong portal. This would help you prevent that.

Of course, I would also recommend that the server not let you auto-walk onto a portal at all (even if you want to).